Poll: Naughty Walking Street R.I.P.?

Jingthing

Walking Street's Future  

243 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 hours ago, Nanaplaza666 said:

Well we all know what you are doing in your covid housearrest . Now we know where all the tisseus and handlotion gone at the local shops . 

You have a guilty conscious, forcing you to respond.  Better to ignore your impulses when they touch a nerve close to home, and just scroll on by.  ????

7 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

Generally most people that are holiday don't care what things cost.

Of course they don't.  That's why the 2 for 1 bars are rammed with tourists.   ????

Edited by Leaver
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

Everyone likes a bargain but if there was not 2 for 1 bars do you suggest they wouldn't pay the high prices on walking street.....i think not.

It's clear they won't, and don't, pay Walking Street prices, that's why LK Metro and Soi Baukaew boomed.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Walking Street is the Patpong of Pattaya.  Guys familiar with Pattaya, when looking for some serious punting, go elsewhere.  When I think of Walking Street I think of tourist families with their kids, mostly Russians, and ladyboys posing for snaps. More of a carnival than a flesh pit.  When in town I'd go for an occasional stroll down there and just take in the absurdity of it all. 

I have the impression that people who own these establishments own more than one, so a place being closed down doesn't necessarily imply an entity has left the business.  It's like a block that has two Starbucks scales back to one.

Edited by bendejo
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, redwood1 said:

Cruises go to Phuket.....They never have and never will come to Pattaya...

Not true. They berth at Laem Chabang; visible from my Naklua condo; cruise starts in Singapore, does Cambodia and Vietnam, into LC and on to Southern Thailand, Krabi or Koh Samui, I forget which.

I met some English friends from home on one such cruise in Dec 2019 outside A-One hotel in Pattaya and we had 6 hours sightseeing, having a massage and a nice Thai meal with a few beers. The ship left dock at 7pm so they sadly missed out on the delights of the night.

They could have spent the day at an hotel pool; buffet included, booze extra; organised by the liner for 100 US dollars per head but opted for a day with me instead. I was touched; still am infact.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Sydebolle said:

Too much money involved, too many employment seeking staff and a customer base waiting to be able to return ........ so what exactly was the query? 

Similarly what I can't reconcile is the junta appointing a member of the Kunplome clan to the mayor's chair if it truly wanted the sleaze controlled or eliminated. Putting the mafia in control of the whore houses same same as fox in charge of the chicken coop. Thailand has hundreds of beaches and beach towns so why shutdown the main attraction of your biggest resort beach town? My take is Walking St will be about the first attraction in Thailand to recover from the pandemic. It's customer demographic will be more prepared sooner to travel than family vacationers or sightseers. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Almer said:

It will still be there but not in your face, just as well if the cruise liner pier gets built, 2000 men with there wives in Pattaya for 24 hours not good for anyone. 

There will be a lot of Thai ladies in need of earning some money once things start to open up.... there are not many jobs that earn so well for so little effort. So I think it will bounce back....unless they get in there quick and bulldoze the place....what have they done since the pandemic started, dug a few holes and buried some cables? While the buildings rot.... if they demolished the full block from beer garden to Bali Hai we would then certainly have a changed scene. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

There will be a lot of Thai ladies in need of earning some money once things start to open up.... there are not many jobs that earn so well for so little effort. So I think it will bounce back....

Ive worked my way through most of the age ranges on Thaifriendly and some of the stories the ladies tell me they really do work hard to earn their money..... lots of perverts in Pattaya it seems.

One fellow in particular enjoys wearing a mask that is attached via a hose to pants worn by the lady and he sits and waits for her to pass wind.

• Haha 2

For those who are unaware - cruise ships did come to Pattaya before. I just read an archived article in the NY Times of cruise ship trips in 1981/82, some of which included stops at "Pattaya Beach".
The QE2 cruise that docked in Pattaya was in 1983.

Remember, there used to be a large pier that ran out into the bay, right next to where the water pumping station is (a stone's throw from the entrance to Walking Street). (Two piers it seems at one time in the 80's. I only saw 1 when I was here in the 90s though.)
That pier was demolished after Bali Hai was built.

The water was probably deeper then as there probably wasn't as much sand being dumped on the beaches and then washed out into the bay in those days.

Just last Sept, city hall approved a new "cruise ship terminal" project with the pier sticking out from the point of land past where Bali Hai is located. It's funny, because an article from last June said there was a lack of interest from marine construction companies to do such a project.

Also keep in mind that many of these projects are nothing more than "trial balloons" being floated to gauge public (and corporate) interest in such projects. If the interest is minimal, the project quietly fades into memory.
If they get a rousing response, then they can proceed onto the next step (usually allocating budget, tendering proposals and getting the necessary approvals).

The old piers in the early 80's, just before the start of what is now Walking Street
3944207_original.jpg.2ed6c2eba104a7ee17edd4ac0fd465a0.jpg

The proposed approved 2.9 bln baht cruise ship terminal project:

c1_1981867_200908171930.jpg.101cd27b508db22d4eb865a2c588c968.jpg

(Can't remember if we can link Bangkok Post articles here, but that's where the image came from.)

• Like 2

I passed thru there once and stayed the weekend, so I could get my visa. I had a nice ocean view room at the Renaissance there - the only nice thing about the city as I recall.

Have never desired to go there for any other reason, place strikes me as a SHlT hole. Maybe if I were young and stupid again…

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 8/14/2021 at 4:56 AM, zzaa09 said:

5. No great loss to society. 

6. Get a life.

Hey man don't hate on guys that are able to keep playing.    Onto another point...The 'one track mind' and long standing 'socially accepted norms' here would surely see to it that it will be back and thriving again once women are able to feel safer and all this cleared up. Why wouldn't they?

Hell, hopefully brings down the prices and quality of services that were around years ago. They got greedy with all these Euro (continental) guys giving em 5k for a single shot. lol

Keep it dirty and stay cool.

Edited by Solinvictus
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Leaver said:

Yes, I know there is a human story to prostitution in Thailand, but I wouldn't call it inhuman to call sex a product.  Granted, it's more a service, than a product, but same same. 

Do you think guys are going to Walking Street to buy expensive drinks, or to seek sex?  

I would call it a service then because they way you said it it looks like you call the girls a product . 

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Leaver said:

Yes, I know there is a human story to prostitution in Thailand, but I wouldn't call it inhuman to call sex a product.  Granted, it's more a service, than a product, but same same. 

Do you think guys are going to Walking Street to buy expensive drinks, or to seek sex?  

???????????????

I used to go to look at the girls and bought cheap drinks so I could sit in the Lucky Star bar to do so.

One needed to be quite wealthy to consider buying sex there IMO.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

many places in walking street were packed,

13 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Of course there will be empty places too.

Care to put a percentage on packed place to empty places on Walking Street, pre covid?  

• Sad 1