How to keep a Thai phone number? Leaving Kingdom

Matt199

Hi guys,

I will be leaving Thailand in 3 weeks back to Europe. I would like to keep my Thai number though as I don't have any other one at the moment. I need the number for receiving for example confirmations codes from other banks/brokerages as a 2nd step security. My worst nightmare would be to lose the phone or if simcard stopped working.

What would you do if you were in my shoes? Can I for example ask for a 2nd sim card from True and both would be active? Is it possible to somehow "host" simcard so that I don't need the physical version but I get SMS online? Or I could do something online? I'm really lost when it comes to telcos.

Also, I will be travelling for first few weeks in Europe so I might get a temporary sim card(s) depending where I am but it will not be a stable sim card, one that if I lose, I can easily get another one. 

I'm thinking what's the best option here. Advice very welcome.

Thanks,

Matt

Edited by Matt199

I think maybe I asked the question wrong. I understand I can receive SMS abroad and keep the simcard alive by topping up. That's not my problem.

My question is what to do if I lose my Thai simcard abroad (stops working/lose phone etc.,) and I cannot go to True let's say in Germany.

That number will be just gone right until I come back to Thailand right? Or is there any solution to this?

I don't have any problem yet. But I can see that there can be a problem. Thanks

A sim can be duplicated but you would need to talk to True or whoever for their procedures etc, I would think if you are travelling and lose it, you coukd call them and they would send one out to you. You need to check their procedure for this event.

• Thanks 1

If you lose the SIM there is little you can do about it if out of Thailand. But you can still keep it alive by topping up using your online bank account, in the case of Bangkok bank I have to use the app. 

Obviously you can not top it up using the phone since they send a code to your SIM - that you have lost!

When back in Thailand you can get a new SIM made for the same number.

How long will you be away from Thailand? Your provider here? Prepaid or postpaid?

There are a lot of things you need to do:

extend expiry to 365 days - easily done at Boon Term machine outside 7/11 - just do twelve, separate 10 baht top-ups 

maybe add a few hundred baht as well

enable International roaming - USSD code

install telco app, instal telco WiFi calling app

make sure banks have the correct number

install the bank's app - I think this precludes the requirement for an OTP - but that may be bank dependent?

don't lose the SIM card

turn off mobile data with the telco - USSD code

turn off mobile data on the phone - in Settings, whenever you use the Thai SIM

You can add IR packages to existing prepaid and post-paid accounts.

You could purchase a second SIM here just for International travel.

Edited by mtls2005

On 8/14/2021 at 5:10 PM, Matt199 said:

My question is what to do if I lose my Thai simcard abroad (stops working/lose phone etc.,) and I cannot go to True let's say in Germany.

That number will be just gone right until I come back to Thailand right? Or is there any solution to this?

As already mentioned, Multi SIM is the solution to your problem.

You get several SIM cards (up to 5) and they all have the same number.

So if you loose one, you can still use one of the other cards to receive SMS, phone calls and make calls.

Here are the details:

https://www.ais.th/postpaid/multisimpackage/en/

All three providers have a version of multiple SIMs. That's meant more as a billing solution.

Some allow you to bundle multiple numbers on one phone (DTAC Call).

AIS Multi SIM requires a post-paid account. Not sure if the OP has a post-paid account?

On 8/14/2021 at 11:40 AM, Matt199 said:

Can I for example ask for a 2nd sim card from True and both would be active?

OP was asking for this. So I brought it up as an option, fully aware that he probably needs to go postpaid.

If it is so important to him, he may be willing to pay the extra money and transfer his number to postpaid.

Just now, heybuz said:

i get my thai mate to do 4 or five seperate top ups and it gives me 4 or five months with dtac at 20 bht per month at the moment I'm covered until december.

Or you could just buy months with your credit at 2bht/month.

*113*90# costs 6bht and gets you 90 days, maximum advance is 360 days.

• Like 1

On 8/14/2021 at 1:27 PM, KeeTua said:

My prepaid TrueMove-H for 2 baht extends 30 days. I don't know if there's any limit on it.
*934*30#

Every provider offers the same, ( different access codes )True, Dtac, etc... I extend every time by 6 months, Dtac = 12 Thb /6 months, just make sure you have enough credit.... *113*180*9#    

Take a look at this topic

Why can I never top up myAIS app using a visa debit or credit card - Mobile devices - ASEAN NOW formerly Thai Visa Forum

I am using Ding very successfully from UK  https://www.ding.com/  Multiple 10Baht topups each extending validity by 30 days.

If you're with AIS you can login to see your balance here myAIS – Personalized to Delight

I'm guessing that if you lost the SIM it would also work but you wouldn't be able to check it,

Edited by VBF

On 8/14/2021 at 6:40 AM, Matt199 said:

What would you do if you were in my shoes?

I've been in your shoes - well virtually - if you have a so-called "top up" subscription, then you top up in lots of 20 baht each, which is the minimum top up. Each top up gives you one extra month subscription, so din't top up more than 20 baht each time, as 200 baht for example also gives you one extra month only.

If you are having a normal subscription, then get the provider to draw the monthly bills from your bank account, it might take up to two month before it's fully working, and require a bit of paperwork - remember your passport and bank book - in the office of your provider...????