Provincial Travel by Car into Chiang Mai

Pronto2

One check point about 20 km south of Lamphun on HW 11.  Manned but seldom operational.  One check point at the HW 11/HW121 interchange.  Again, manned but seldom operational. 
If you have CM or Lamphun plates (if you are a resident) you won't be stopped.  No idea south of Lamphun.

Edited by CALSinCM
  • Like 1

Came back from Lampang last Sunday (go there twice a month) nothing from there to Chiang Mai, apart from a "slow down road block" just south of CM, I think if you have "local" plates, drive on through.

Can't imagine that different from BKK to CM, not exactly much in between!

Maybe if you had BKK plates, they may stop and ask a question or two.

5 hours ago, lordblackader said:

The main checkpoint is on the Superhighway at the Middle Ring Road overpass. 

Note, while arguably not well enforced, you're supposed to go into quarantine if you're not vaccinated. 

217398934_348371346729260_3500952458359440210_n (1).jpg

Thanks for sharing this.

I will be travelling from BKK to CM early Nov21 after completing the compulsory 15 day ASQ on arrival from UK. My plan is to arrange for a car / driver from Bangkok to pick me up from ASQ immediately following check-out and drive me to CM. I've been vaccinated in UK.

Do I need to do 14 day quarantine in CM on arrival (same day after ASQ)? I had assumed the ASQ in Bangkok and supporting documentation along with my vaccine 'passport' would be sufficient. At worst, I thought I would need to complete a further PCR or 'swab test'.

Based on the above replies, would it be better to arrange for a car / driver from CM to come to BKK to collect?

This is on the assumption that internal flights will still not be available in a few months.

Any assistance / direction on this would be appreciated.

5 hours ago, canthai55 said:

It is now August. Who knows what will happen in/by November

True. If I was leaving ASQ in Bangkok tomorrow wanting to travel to CM, what are the current rules / guidelines? Appreciate things can and will change but at least this gives me a feel for things.

3 hours ago, cardinalblue said:

Late august you can fly away and return to CM…

I hope flights will be an option early Nov and will of course track the situation closely.

Just trying to establish what the current rules / guidelines are for leaving ASQ Bangkok and travelling to CM. Hoping to avoid the need for doing quarantine twice - even self isolation in CM after ASQ 15 days doesn’t appeal.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Carrbhoy said:

I hope flights will be an option early Nov and will of course track the situation closely.

Just trying to establish what the current rules / guidelines are for leaving ASQ Bangkok and travelling to CM. Hoping to avoid the need for doing quarantine twice - even self isolation in CM after ASQ 15 days doesn’t appeal.

I was released from Bangkok ASQ on July 23rd.  My Thai step-daughter and husband, Samut Prakan residents (license plates) picked me up at the hotel and drove me to Chiang Mai. There were two or three standard illegal immigrant checkpoints along the way but we were waved through. At the primary Chiang Mai Covid checkpoint on the 11 SuperHwy, we had to stop and show paperwork.  (It appeared that we could have exited at the 121 ring road or other and avoided it, but we chose to do the right thing and comply).

My daughter who is quite savvy on all things medical and technical had pre-registered our trip online and had everything together for the three of us. We were checked and ordered to proceed to Arcade bus station where there was a Covid screening/testing facility set up. Due to my US vaccination and ASQ documents, I didn't even have to get out of the car.  She and husband had current negative Covid test results and were cleared after filling out forms. 

The day after arriving at home in Sansai, the pooyai baan and wife, who are quite friendly with my wife, came around to document my paperwork and request that I stay at home for two weeks. There was no formal order or further follow up. 

That was almost a month ago, but I hope that helps, Don

• Like 1

image.png.a119d57f89fd3c87ecdeb804e956d07d.png

I just arrived in CM by train from Bangkok. Registered in CM-CHANA prior to departure.

Upon arrival everyone was asked to register in CM-CHANA and was funneled to a desk for identity checks. Most people were told to undergo a COVID swab test and wait 20 minutes for the result.

When it was my turn, the official asked for my mobile number, checked a list, found the number, put a pink sticker on me and told me that I can leave. I was very confused why I wasn't subjected to the test. I have no clue why, but I was somehow already in the system. But I was never tested before. I'm officially registered in BKK, but I provided an address of a private residence (no hotel) in CM.

I was released from ASQ in Bangkok this past Thursday, August 12.  I hired a driver and private car, recommended by the hotel, with Bangkok plates.  We encountered two roadblocks, one of which wasn't staffed.  At the second one, in Saraphi, the driver was of much more interest than me.  he explained that I has been in the U.S. for vaccination (technically true; I'd gone to Guam) and had just completed ASQ in Bangkok.  I had a ream of documents available with proof of vaccination, home address, PCR tests; but no interest from the officer.

Instead, the officer made the driver, who claimed he had received two doses of Sinopharm, download a QR code onto his phone and promise he'd turn around right after dropping me off at home and leave CM province.  

I've read multiple sources that indicate I don't need to do home quarantine in CM now since I just completed ASQ, got in a car and my first stop was a toilet break outside a red zone and I had no contact with anyone during that stop or any subsequent stop.  We didn't eat or drink anything during the quick eight hour trip in order to keep wearing our masks.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NancyL said:

I was released from ASQ in Bangkok this past Thursday, August 12.  I hired a driver and private car, recommended by the hotel, with Bangkok plates.  We encountered two roadblocks, one of which wasn't staffed.  At the second one, in Saraphi, the driver was of much more interest than me.  he explained that I has been in the U.S. for vaccination (technically true; I'd gone to Guam) and had just completed ASQ in Bangkok.  I had a ream of documents available with proof of vaccination, home address, PCR tests; but no interest from the officer.

Instead, the officer made the driver, who claimed he had received two doses of Sinopharm, download a QR code onto his phone and promise he'd turn around right after dropping me off at home and leave CM province.  

I've read multiple sources that indicate I don't need to do home quarantine in CM now since I just completed ASQ, got in a car and my first stop was a toilet break outside a red zone and I had no contact with anyone during that stop or any subsequent stop.  We didn't eat or drink anything during the quick eight hour trip in order to keep wearing our masks.

Thanks for sharing  - much appreciated. This was my understanding (and hope) too. Other replies are suggesting that 14 day isolation is required. I don't understand why, if ASQ / tests completed on arrival in Bangkok and plan on doing exactly what you did - check-out from ASQ / straight into private car & drivver / emergency stops only & no contact etc.

Do you have the private car / driver details? Be great if you could DM details and the costs. Hope that is ok.

8 hours ago, me4175 said:

image.png.a119d57f89fd3c87ecdeb804e956d07d.png

I just arrived in CM by train from Bangkok. Registered in CM-CHANA prior to departure.

Upon arrival everyone was asked to register in CM-CHANA and was funneled to a desk for identity checks. Most people were told to undergo a COVID swab test and wait 20 minutes for the result.

When it was my turn, the official asked for my mobile number, checked a list, found the number, put a pink sticker on me and told me that I can leave. I was very confused why I wasn't subjected to the test. I have no clue why, but I was somehow already in the system. But I was never tested before. I'm officially registered in BKK, but I provided an address of a private residence (no hotel) in CM.

Thanks for sharing this info. Had you just completed ASQ in Bangkok or just an internal trip to CM for business / leisure?

I will ensure I'm registered in CM-CHANA prior to ASQ check-out as required.

14 hours ago, drtreelove said:

I was released from Bangkok ASQ on July 23rd.  My Thai step-daughter and husband, Samut Prakan residents (license plates) picked me up at the hotel and drove me to Chiang Mai. There were two or three standard illegal immigrant checkpoints along the way but we were waved through. At the primary Chiang Mai Covid checkpoint on the 11 SuperHwy, we had to stop and show paperwork.  (It appeared that we could have exited at the 121 ring road or other and avoided it, but we chose to do the right thing and comply).

My daughter who is quite savvy on all things medical and technical had pre-registered our trip online and had everything together for the three of us. We were checked and ordered to proceed to Arcade bus station where there was a Covid screening/testing facility set up. Due to my US vaccination and ASQ documents, I didn't even have to get out of the car.  She and husband had current negative Covid test results and were cleared after filling out forms. 

The day after arriving at home in Sansai, the pooyai baan and wife, who are quite friendly with my wife, came around to document my paperwork and request that I stay at home for two weeks. There was no formal order or further follow up. 

That was almost a month ago, but I hope that helps, Don

Very helpful Don - thanks for sharing.

Going from your response and others on the thread, there is a lack on consistency. I think unfortunately the official stance should be home isolation following ASQ in Bangkok which is disappointing.

I'll continue to monitor the situation. I think at this stage, I will be organising a Bangkok private car / driver and hope for the best! Plenty can and will change between now and early November so fingers crossed for a more positive official outcome. I'll ensure the final outcome re my BKK to CM trip is pre-registered online.

On 8/14/2021 at 10:28 PM, lordblackader said:

The main checkpoint is on the Superhighway at the Middle Ring Road overpass. 

Note, while arguably not well enforced, you're supposed to go into quarantine if you're not vaccinated. 

217398934_348371346729260_3500952458359440210_n (1).jpg

Where can one find these orders?

19 hours ago, Carrbhoy said:

Thanks for sharing this info. Had you just completed ASQ in Bangkok or just an internal trip to CM for business / leisure?

I will ensure I'm registered in CM-CHANA prior to ASQ check-out as required.

Had to renew my visa in BKK and returned to Chiang Mai for business.

• Like 1

any updated information regarding checkpoints, I need to go from Chiang Mai to BKK, check there some Hardware and return back to Chiang Mai, in best case scenario a round trip within one day, because I am not keen to stay in BKK for a night.

An option is to perhaps take a small Hotel from Nakon Sawan down to Bkk for a night, than in the morning into BKK and hit the road at noon to return to Chaing Mai.