Thailand road carnage: Driver escapes death pictured hugging dead friend in wreckage of pick-up

webfact

2 minutes ago, toofarnorth said:

I have said to friends in the past there should be very few U turns and more roundabouts , there is one in the town here but I have seen cars going round it the wrong way. Admitted a road just up from the roundabout had to shut off so the roundabout was the only option so while having a coffee in the shop near the roundabout I could observe them. Oh and the sign was there showing the clockwise way to use it.  Nah ! To confusing .

Put a policeman there for  2 days, dish the fines out they will soon catch on, it is the lack of enforcement that lets  this carnage continue, if there isn't enforcement there us no hope it will improve .

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, smedly said:

another idiot driving in Thailand likely surfing FB and speeding 

Equally likely to not have been "surfing Facebook".   

What's the speed limit on that stretch of road that leads you to suggest that he was speeding?   

You do know that there was another vehicle involved, yes?

1 minute ago, transam said:

That is why the UK has roundabouts everywhere, very few U-turns....

How can it work, 4 lanes on a big road say Saraburi to BKK you are in the outside lane and 40 tonnes wants to stop and take at least 3 of the lanes to make the turn, of course there will continue to be carnage, it was this reason i have just got my pick up back from the body shop after a heavy rear end involving 4 behind me, lorry went of on his merry way leaving a mess but of course it wasn't  his  fault, it is the fault of the lack thought by the ministry.

2 hours ago, Gottfrid said:
3 hours ago, jacko45k said:

It may not be Facebook, but I assure you many are interacting with their phones.. behind their tinted glass. They do it on motorcycles too, every Grab delivery guy does it all the time.

Can the generalizing on this forum stop some time?

You're wasting your breath.  It's a shame that your excellent suggestion will never be taken up here, not with the perfect, holier-than-thou posters pontificating day in, day out.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

What's the speed limit on that stretch of road that leads you to suggest that he was speeding?   

You do not do that much damage unless you are motoring on a bit, the report says he hit the rear of the truck  only a guess but i would think he hit  it sideways on, if he hit the rear  he is to take the largest portion of blame, but crash bars on the rear and sides would gave lessened the impact on the passenger cabin, that with air vags and seat belts could of made this incident far less tragic.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

52 minutes ago, malthebluff said:

Looking at the damage to the car this wasnt a slow speed accident sad that 3 young lives have been lost Thailand need to make the driving test the same as other countries it's far to easy here to get a license 

Then you will first have to change the mentality from the Thai driver.

That's the problem, change the way of thinking: "Mai pen rai"

5 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

Perception gene missing in Thais is the only explanation ????Rip  

When i went to obtain my thai driving licence, which we all know is a turn up and collect affair i was intrigued by the depth perception test, but now after 6 years here dodging missiles every day i can see why.

30 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

dear oh dear another for my ignore list lol

4 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

That's the result of your in absentia investigation, is it?    How were you able to conclude that the truck driver was less than 20% at fault?   

Approaching a U turn you need to reduce speed and if possible move to the left lane to avoid traffic turning from the opposite lane . If you see a truck in front of you then you need to be aware . Even if the truck has no indicator to turn right at the u turn the driver of the pick up truck should be slowing down ready for what can occur . Just to maintain your speed in that situation you are taking a big risk . 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

LKS;  no “slur” to say Asia has a fatalistic outlook. many aspects of thailands culture is common across the Poor Southern Hemisphere, including Terrible Driving.Thats FACTUAL, whether you like it or know it or not. Asia, Africa and Latin America;  I have personally experienced the same sub-culture of low driving standards in Mexico, Venezuela, Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Nigeria, India, Thailand etc. 

Advanced East Asian countries (Japan, S.Korea, Malaysia, Sing.) do however have High Driving Stds.

What I find odd about most serious accidents is no mention of anyone (mainly police) appealing for witnesses. It would be very unusual for there to be only the two vehicles involved to be around at that time and place, particularly following traffic that might have seen something "unfolding" resembling something going to happen!

• Like 1

I can't say that I know the law on this, but it seems to me that regardless of how the driver of the Isuzu was driving, a U-turn in which one needs to swerve over to the outside lane before making the U-turn is a dangerous maneuver. I believe that would be classified as an "unsafe lane change" back home. And probably a couple of other infractions, especially if it ended up with the death of anyone. I don't see how a U-turn being done like that can possibly be legal. It is clearly unsafe. If one needs to make that kind of maneuver, then one should not be making that turn and should go on to an intersection where it can be done safely.
Such a sad situation when seeing something like this that should never happen, whether it should never happen due to a U-turn like that being done that should never be done or possibly due to inattentive or distracted driving of the Isuzu, either way... dead is dead. Very sad.

1 hour ago, Black Angus said:

Sadly there are two factures here. 1 The truck knows he is slow moving and 2 SPEED. To turn any vehicle over on it side never  mind a truck can only mean that he was at speed and maybe also not paying full attention. Wonder what the speedometer read, Don't know why they can't put in roundabouts, but then again that migh make things worst.

See my comment on roundabouts.

22 minutes ago, ChrisKC said:

What I find odd about most serious accidents is no mention of anyone (mainly police) appealing for witnesses. It would be very unusual for there to be only the two vehicles involved to be around at that time and place, particularly following traffic that might have seen something "unfolding" resembling something going to happen!

nobody wants to get involved.  The way the Thai courts work, and the way out of court settlements work, witnesses are often harassed or threatened or cajoled or if a Hi society person is involved in the accident or some official, they definitely may prefer to see nothing

In the USA it is getting to the point where most drivers have their smart phone mounted on the dash or just to the side of it and are always displaying something. It might just be the moving map showing and barking out directions.  I have a SUV and I sit up higher than many cars and I can see the people's phone displaying some program, or video, or news or whatever. All easy distractions.  My phone is in my pocket when I drive.  When I drive, I drive.  I have seen too many accidents and even had two cars totaled by others that just simply drove into me so I make it a point to focuse on the task at hand.  50 years of driving come next year and I have not caused any accidents and have avoided quite a few by being aware, looking ahead, and glancing around and in the rear view mirror to keep an eye on things that might be coming up on me fast, etc