Thailand road carnage: Driver escapes death pictured hugging dead friend in wreckage of pick-up

webfact

20 hours ago, robblok said:

I guess i don't because I also have never driven with a Thai that was playing with his phone while he or she was behind the wheel. Maybe you hang out with a different crowd.

We all have different friends, experiences and opinions.

21 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Exactly! Seems like the only thing they have been coming here for, is to make the citizens of the country look as bad as possible. No wonder that some foreigners have problem with feeling accepted and understood.

Up to you if you live your life with your eyes closed in LOS...

7 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

There we have it again. You do like many here. Take one example as a bad experience, and after have the opinion that they are generally clueless and disobey laws. Really? Very trustworthy. Sure, this experience must have been terrible and frightening but it will not give you the right to generalize and put all under the same rug.

Then you explain why Thailand is number 1 or 2 for road deaths per capita in the world..?

20 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

And it's why you see so many, cars as well as motorbikes, going the wrong way. Can't be bothered to drive a km or two to do a turn. Jeez, it's not like they have to walk it!

I don't know about where you live, but in my area of Bangkok motorbikes on the footpath is a regular danger when walking. I have been hit from behind twice. Head on at me I have shoved them as they nearly hit me and I have broken several of their mirrors too. They regularly ride on the footpath right in front of the police station and nothing is done about it. 

20 hours ago, robblok said:

I guess i don't because I also have never driven with a Thai that was playing with his phone while he or she was behind the wheel. Maybe you hang out with a different crowd.

Perhaps because they are so interested in your gripping conversations...????

2 minutes ago, transam said:

Perhaps because they are so interested in your gripping conversations...????

I doubt it, think they like most normal people just want to stay alive on the road. I honestly never had any of my friends drive while playing a phone. I have seen it happen once when i drove a bike and passed a slow moving car that the girl was busy with her phone while driving. But its not something common. 

13 minutes ago, BobinBKK said:

We all have different friends, experiences and opinions.

This is not an opinion but a fact. But yes you probably have different friend. I would not let someone drive me who plays with his or her phone while. I get out ASAP. 

I use my phone while driving, got it on mount in the car for navigation. 

Just now, robblok said:

I doubt it, think they like most normal people just want to stay alive on the road. I honestly never had any of my friends drive while playing a phone. I have seen it happen once when i drove a bike and passed a slow moving car that the girl was busy with her phone while driving. But its not something common. 

Well I can tell you that up country it is pandemic, folk on bikes actually ride with a phone in one hand. When I sit at my watering hole, which is outside, I can see most of what's going on in the passing traffic from my elevation, except the blacked out window rides...

2 minutes ago, robblok said:

When my Mrs drives she puts the phone down on the centre console, you can see her eyes go that way when it pings... I usually turn it face down. The slow moving vehicle is the common scenario for me, when I see a driver on the phone. Getting direction, calling ahead, whatever. I see the screen glow as I pass. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, robblok said:

This is not an opinion but a fact.

I was speaking in general terms of all aspects of ones personal life including but not limited to "friends, experiences and opinions". Sorry you didn't understand that...

16 minutes ago, BobinBKK said:

I don't know about where you live, but in my area of Bangkok motorbikes on the footpath is a regular danger when walking. I have been hit from behind twice. Head on at me I have shoved them as they nearly hit me and I have broken several of their mirrors too. They regularly ride on the footpath right in front of the police station and nothing is done about it. 

I used to live there and know what you mean. Apparently now though there is a scheme where if you provide evidence (photo) of someone doing that there's a reward. I've read that a considerable amount has been paid out, Someone on this site might provide more info/detail than I have.

2 minutes ago, BobinBKK said:

I was speaking in general terms of all aspects of ones personal life including but not limited to "friends, experiences and opinions". Sorry you didn't understand that...

I read it differently, but your right if you see it that way. I do know that if one of my "friends"  does as you describe use a phone and drive i get out. I would also no longer get in a car with that person. I am quite selective about friends. If they don't use their brain then it will be a short friendship. I knew a guy who drank alcohol and drove (foreigner) regular. So when i found that out i distanced myself. No need for idiots in my life. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, transam said:

Up to you if you live your life with your eyes closed in LOS...

I wouldn´t say that. I have open eyes and see the reality. That is that there is a lot of people doing wrong, but the majority is good people that makes good decisions.

It´s the ones that only sees and point out the wrongs that have half closed eyes.

Then you explain why Thailand is number 1 or 2 for road deaths per capita in the world..?

Not need to explain that. Everyone know that fact by now. However, that only makes them the worst country. Not anything there states the majority are bad drivers. Just that they have more ignorant ones than other countries. Which means nobody can state all or even half of the population to be under that rug.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Gottfrid said:

I wouldn´t say that. I have open eyes and see the reality. That is that there is a lot of people doing wrong, but the majority is good people that makes good decisions.

It´s the ones that only sees and point out the wrongs that have half closed eyes.

No, we are discussing wrongs here, no need to mention the rights because that's how all road users should be...

1 minute ago, Gottfrid said:

Not need to explain that. Everyone know that fact by now. However, that only makes them the worst country. Not anything there states the majority are bad drivers. Just that they have more ignorant ones than other countries. Which means nobody can state all or even half of the population to be under that rug.

That is a cop-out answer. Never mind.....????

Thai driving is not about ignorance.

It is about a couldn't-care-less-attitude either for other road users or about the law.

Throw in generation upon generation of new drivers from parents (and seemingly the law itself) who never cared less either, and there we have it!

17 minutes ago, ChrisKC said:

Thai driving is not about ignorance.

It is about a couldn't-care-less-attitude either for other road users or about the law.

Throw in generation upon generation of new drivers from parents (and seemingly the law itself) who never cared less either, and there we have it!

Same bloody thing.

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I used to live there and know what you mean. Apparently now though there is a scheme where if you provide evidence (photo) of someone doing that there's a reward. I've read that a considerable amount has been paid out, Someone on this site might provide more info/detail than I have.

Yes that's true and I have the info. I have taken several videos and a few people want to fight me but it never works out for them and they drive off. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, hotchilli said:
21 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

No one murdered anyone.

No one has been charged with anything yet so no one can yet be blamed, and that includes the pick up driver.

The six-wheeled truck was performing a U-turn, the pick-up driver was on the left hand side of the road crossing lanes to do the same U-turn.

He managed to hit the back of the six-wheeler hard enough to tip it on it's side, virtually disintegrate his own pick-up and kill his three innocent occupants, and you say no-one is to blame.

No, I certainly did not say that "no one is to blame".   I did say that blame had not yet been apportioned.  Big difference.

20 hours ago, itsari said:
21 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

That's the result of your in absentia investigation, is it?    

Approaching a U turn you need to reduce speed and if possible move to the left lane to avoid traffic turning from the opposite lane . If you see a truck in front of you then you need to be aware . Even if the truck has no indicator to turn right at the u turn the driver of the pick up truck should be slowing down ready for what can occur . Just to maintain your speed in that situation you are taking a big risk . 

Thanks but I didn't ask for driving tips from you.    I did ask you how you were able to conclude that the truck driver was less than 20% at fault but you edited that from my comment and, as anticipated, you were unable to back up your "investigative conclusion".

let's say the Isuzu is driving along at 110km/hr   as the road ahead is clear and looks ok,   however a truck which was in the far left lane decides it's ok to swing a sharp 90' degree turn to attempt a U-turn.  

The truck driver should not be in the far left lane if attempting a U-turn,  and was the truck too far past the U-turn area while being in the far left lane.   ?? 

I'm thinking this is the cause ....

just saying ....   

• Confused 1

No, we are discussing wrongs here, no need to mention the rights because that's how all road users should be...

And all road users (strange wording)??? Let´s say all drivers. All driver are not like that in any country.

That is a cop-out answer. Never mind.....????

No, it´s not. I end it here with you, because you just discuss forever with all that does not agree with you. The fact is that only 40 out of 100 000 dies in traffic, which does not stand for any kind of majority of driver. The same goes for accidents and stupid driving. It´s just that you chose to see them and they are in fact the onlt ones you can read about as well.  Fine!

5 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

And all road users (strange wording)??? Let´s say all drivers. All driver are not like that in any country.

No, it´s not. I end it here with you, because you just discuss forever with all that does not agree with you. The fact is that only 40 out of 100 000 dies in traffic, which does not stand for any kind of majority of driver. The same goes for accidents and stupid driving. It´s just that you chose to see them and they are in fact the onlt ones you can read about as well.  Fine!

I will ask you once again, why is Thailand no. 1 or 2 for road fatalities in the world.....?

You think the drivers here are the same as the world over, they are not, and do you know what, I have been driving and observing Thai road attitude for 15 years, that is through the eyes of a professional driver in my own country.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, steven100 said:

let's say the Isuzu is driving along at 110km/hr   as the road ahead is clear and looks ok,   however a truck which was in the far left lane decides it's ok to swing a sharp 90' degree turn to attempt a U-turn.  

The truck driver should not be in the far left lane if attempting a U-turn,  and was the truck too far past the U-turn area while being in the far left lane.   ?? 

I'm thinking this is the cause ....

just saying ....   

based on the photos it looks to me like the truck was doing a u-turn from the opposite side of the road (right) and had almost completed the turn when the pickup rammed into the back of the trailer - so he was doing a u-turn from the opposite direction, if he was indeed on the far left then he was still there when the collision occured - the 2 right lanes are free in both instances 

• Like 1