Thai police use water cannon to tackle protest against PM

snoop1130

2021-08-17T055853Z_1_LYNXMPEH7G06S_RTROPTP_4_THAILAND-PROTESTS.JPG

Police officers walk in a line formation during a protest over the government's handling of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic, in Bangkok, Thailand, August 16, 2021. REUTERS/Soe Zeya Tun

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Police in Thailand used water cannon to break up a demonstration at the national police headquarters on Tuesday, a day after clashes during which a young protester was left in a coma with a bullet lodged in his head.

Protesters gathered in central Bangkok for a third successive day to demand Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha resign amid rising anger over his handling of the country's COVID-19 epidemic, which saw a record 239 deaths on Tuesday.

"We are out here protesting but in return we get tear gas and rubber bullets and a violent crackdown", activist Songpon "Yajai" Sonthirak said at the protest, which saw clashes for the seventh time in the past 11 days.

"We stressed that we are out here peacefully to express our disapproval of the government's performance."

Demonstrations have gained momentum in recent weeks as groups who sought Prayuth's removal last year return with broader support from people angered by a worsening coronavirus situation. Thailand is on course to pass 1 million cases this week.

Police spokesman Kissana Phathanacharoen said protesters threw paint, ping-pong bombs, water bottles and other objects into the police headquarters. There were separate clashes near Prayuth's residence.

"After repeated warning we needed to enforce the law by using high water pressure that follows international standards," he told reporters.

A man who attended Monday's protest was comatose after a gunshot wound to his neck, a hospital said, with its X-ray showing a bullet lodged close to his brain. The victim's mother told local media her son was 15.

Police said live ammunition was not used to disperse demonstrations.

At least six people were injured in clashes on Monday https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/clashes-thailand-pressure-builds-pm-over-coronavirus-crisis-2021-08-16 near Prayuth's residence, Bangkok's emergency service said. A medic working with protesters said a minor was also struck by a bullet.

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2021-08-17

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

This is the most ludicrous statement I have ever read on TV/Asean - and that is saying a lot !

why ?   you think their opinion that they are worried about these protestors spreading the virus more is ludicrous also ?

12 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

This group in power needs to step aside I am afraid.  The younger generation who will lead the country in the next few years have zero confidence in these dinosaurs who are grasping at power still.  Had this not been a military led Junta Government and a regularly elected government there would have been a coup already.

Those who grabbed power and removed a democratically elected government do not then step aside. For any reason. And the chances of a coup against those who staged a coup is highly unlikely, I'd guess. The army removing an army-led government? Possible, but ......

13 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

More than likely a police sniper or a few of them on overwatch.....just my opinion

There were plenty of them during the 2010 protests, all dressed in black so easy to recognise them. Of course, they denied they were police.

Edited by Bangkok Barry
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, XJPSX said:

All the young Thai people I know are fed up. They don’t mind the protest. I am shocked with how many of them think likeminded on political opinions. The boys at top are screwed with the new generations coming through. Things will certainly change or Thailand will get very messy.

I have been really surprised by just how vocal the younger generation has become over the past year or two. I've heard things recently that 10 years ago were taboo here.

On the one hand, I am happy that they finally understand and realize how unfair things are here and they want to see a "better Thailand", but on the other hand I don't want to be here when the proverbial shxt hits the fan. It could get very ugly. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, steven100 said:

I have spoke with many Thai students and middle aged thais about these protests,  and many ( majority )  say that these protestors are only doing harm to Thailands image given the COVID19 virus pandemic.

Their protests should be postponed until the country is free or as near as free from the virus transmission and infection as possible.  Then come back and protest if you so desire. 

Pathetic. 

19 hours ago, steven100 said:

I have spoke with many Thai students and middle aged thais about these protests,  and many ( majority )  say that these protestors are only doing harm to Thailands image given the COVID19 virus pandemic.

Their protests should be postponed until the country is free or as near as free from the virus transmission and infection as possible.  Then come back and protest if you so desire. 

Every Thai I know thinks the exact opposite. 

Nearly all of them to a man or woman hate Prayut, want him gone immediately and support the objectives of the protestors. 

Funny that huh? 

Nice avatar too mate. 

6 hours ago, djayz said:

I have been really surprised by just how vocal the younger generation has become over the past year or two. I've heard things recently that 10 years ago were taboo here.

On the one hand, I am happy that they finally understand and realize how unfair things are here and they want to see a "better Thailand", but on the other hand I don't want to be here when the proverbial shxt hits the fan. It could get very ugly. 

Inevitable now and the reckoning is getting closer, day by day. 

The person that stopped it before is now gone and there's no-one they respect enough to listen to anymore. 

Biggest risk right now for any investments in Thailand especially business or property is political. 

I am worried about my businesses in Thailand, they can't be quickly relocated  but we are looking at all risks and contingencies going forward. 

• Like 1

Semi related.   A big social media hoopla has erupted over Adam the English teacher for saying something like " it's time to see the light". 

Even here last Cally I am starting to believe many people get paid for political posting on social media.   It can be on any topic, global warming, viability of wind and solar vs big oil. Masks or not, vaccine or not.    It really is becoming a bit confusing even for a well educated scientific mind much less the typical education levels in this World. 

Edited by Elkski