Runners Not Wearing Masks

FrankThePlumber

3 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

Pretty sure not wearing a mask wouldn't be the problem if he joined them & started "Rubbing" himself  

https://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/rub+yourself+off

In fact, it's probably advisable he wear a full balaclava mask if he's going to do that in public ???? 

Ups. Made a typo there.  Was going to correct it just now...but I think I will leave it the way it is...as it's more interesting.  Hope he does not take my advise though or he might get in trouble. 

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Exercise is a good reason for taking the mask off, avoiding hypercapnic hypoxia

“hypercapnic hypoxia“

Done that, during a short but very steep hill climb.

But for the attentions of a ophthalmic Dr the resulting damage to blood vessels in my eye nearly cost me the sight in one eye.

Very scary stuff.

• Like 2

On 8/21/2021 at 8:29 PM, FrankThePlumber said:

I went a walk with my wife and daughter around a rural lake area, pretty popular with runners, there were maybe 10 or so there... and none of them were wearing masks. I was so tempted to take mine off too but I'm too paranoid. I feel like the punishments for flouting the mask rule would be much harsher for farang.

They were running, but should have a mask at hand should they stop or encounter people...

as you stated you were only walking... mask on at all times.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 8/22/2021 at 1:38 AM, cdemundo said:

I heard an MD on the TV today (I know what kind of idiot trusts doctors) say that the Delta variant is so transmissible that you can catch it just walking past an infected person.  I am wearing my mask outdoors now.

Better late than never.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

You must be talking about the " Lake "  Maprachan but don't jump on the gun too fast. if they are exercising and are within the guidelines of the restriction of social distant there shouldn't be a problem whether they are walking , running or cycling.  There is also the science of the mask cutting off air can do more harm that good?  Did you see a number of months back a young girl in her teens in a track meet school required to wear mask at the finish line she passed out from lack of oxygen.  I run daily and I have my mask pull down doing so allows for much more air at my age I could tell the big difference.

Sure there are situation that are being broken not only at the lake exercising?

• Like 1

I run every morning around Bangkok and the vast majority wear masks, or at least have them around their chin and put them up when going past people. Most people have good etiquette and where possible give each other a wide birth.

A few dont wear masks at all, but they are normally very early morning runners when very few people are around, and there seems to be a pretty even split between farangs and Thai's in that respect.

Plenty of police zipping around (in Thonglor) of all places and they dont seem to be fussed by it. (Probably as they have all had it already!)

I live a stones throw from Lumphini park, and quite often there’s a fair number of people who walk OUTside the park, around the perimeter, for exercise in the early AM and PM hours, myself included… I have seen local officers politely remind people who were, in fairness, actively exercising, that masks are still required… I have not seen any real enforcement action beyond that… but to be fair, everyone I’ve seen being reminded, quickly put their mask back on or rearranged it to be properly over nose/mouth area. 

So, my guess is that barring an usual situation or a refusal to do so, most of the time anyone who isn’t wearing a mask - and is contacted by a person of recognized authority, it’s usually just a matter of a verbal reminder… but that’s not to say it can’t or won’t go beyond that. 

• Like 1

On 8/21/2021 at 11:38 AM, cdemundo said:

I heard an MD on the TV today (I know what kind of idiot trusts doctors) say that the Delta variant is so transmissible that you can catch it just walking past an infected person.  I am wearing my mask outdoors now.

A different doctor than the one on TV, says similar thing.

"If you’re sitting at an outdoor café, try to mask up between bites and sips, especially if your age or health or weight make you vulnerable to severe COVID-19.

The likelihood of a passing interaction from someone walking by a table is small, but it’s still possible. The safest spot when eating outdoors is a table away from high-traffic areas and upwind of everyone else."

https://theconversation.com/being-outdoors-doesnt-mean-youre-safe-from-covid-19-a-white-house-event-showed-what-not-to-do-147756

Thomas A. Russo

Professor and Chief, Infectious Disease,

Jacobs School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences,

University at Buffalo

• Like 1

I find it rather ironic.   Sure, a jogger might find it uncomfortable wearing a mask as he/she scoots along the park track........but.........

The harder you huff and puff during exercise, the further your lung vapor will be projected into the atmosphere, and put others at more risk.

I really enjoy those group aerobic classes coz, at my age, it's about the only chance I get to hear a pretty young lady beside me breathing heavily.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nemises said:

Joggers are NOT required to wear masks in other, more civilised (?), countries. TiT, so yes obey their regs, but try not to stress too much about it. 

Photo shows today’s outdoor health regs from NSW Gov, AU 

73DD6329-F9C9-4D02-BEFA-2C1A137EA0A2.jpeg

Wrong country.

4 hours ago, 4737 Carlin said:

Yes, because doing heavy exercise like running or cycling is a great idea whilst wearing a mask. I can't believe the replies taking the OP seriously. Complete and utter stupidity.

Even more important to wear a mask.

Your huffing and puffing away.

Mask helped stop the spray and doplets.

Uncomfortable for sure but thats the law.

If someone doesn't like it they need to get a treadmill at there private residence.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Better late than never.

Recent advice has been that masks were not needed outdoors if simply passing others while running or walking.

So as the advice of experts changes I follow expert advice.

Cute little schoolmarm aphorism anyway even though it was misplaced.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cdemundo said:

Recent advice has been that masks were not needed outdoors if simply passing others while running or walking.

So as the advice of experts changes I follow expert advice.

Cute little schoolmarm aphorism anyway even though it was misplaced.

Experts who seem to keep changing their minds in my book aren't experts.. so I rely on my own common sense... so far I haven't caught covid.

• Haha 1