SURVEY: Sandbox -- the way to go or just a failing PR stunt?

Scott

SURVEY: Sandbox -- the way to go or just a failing PR stunt?  

169 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Thailand has been banking heavily on the sandbox concept to increase tourist numbers and revenue.   In your opinion, is this the way to go, or is it a PR stunt that's destined to fail?   Choose the option that best expresses your opinion.

Feel free to leave a comment.

1 hour ago, konaboy said:

why are not fully vaccinated persons treated better. If not worthwhile, why even get jabbed?

By the time Thailand is ready to open up even those fully vaccinated will still have to quarantine. Western countries vaccinated early on and everyone will be outside the "vaccinated in past 6 months" window stipulation for getting a stupid certificate. It will never end 

• Like 2

I teetered between the two 

1. The Sandbox is ultimately a failure and threatens to spread the virus.
2. It's time for Thailand to pivot away from dependence on tourism

.and decided to select #2.  It WILL spread the virus amongst otherwise healthy tourists, it is inevitable that tourists and locals will interact together, one spreader then you have ???  many.   and after the 'quaranteen' period is over, and the tourist is able to travel 'anywhere in LOS' - it surly will spread even further.  The sandbox idea is just something to placate the rich hotel owners in Phuket and Ko Samui, and on surface, put a few Thai's back to work, or are the hotel workers all Migrants as well??   I read 3 online newspapers a day about Thailand, and am amazed at how many Thai's are "Out of Work". starving, when they import hundreds, thousands(?) of migrant workers in the construction business.   Oh, I forgot, the Rich also own all the construction companies and it's cheaper to hire 5 Burmese than 2 Thais.........it's always about the bottom line isn't it??  Lest I digress, it''s time for Thailand to move slowly but steadily oiut of the tourist business dependency.  Mi Dos Centavos     Peace 

7 minutes ago, ourmanflint said:

By the time Thailand is ready to open up even those fully vaccinated will still have to quarantine. Western countries vaccinated early on and everyone will be outside the "vaccinated in past 6 months" window stipulation for getting a stupid certificate. It will never end 

Stupid certificate? Seriously? Wow...

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, RichardColeman said:

Sorry, I cannot vote in this - since the option of time to abandon sandbox and return to normal is not on the list. My own opinion is the sandbox is a complete and utter failure.

Thailand is in dire economic life-support condition now. It needs tourists to survive - Time to pivot away from tourism is not an option in the short term anyhow.

Drip feeding tourists into Thailand is a complete waste of time, It needs mass tourism and it needs mass tourism now, not drip, drip, drip. Too few tourists arriving is as bad as none at all - a handful of people visiting a hotel or restaurant wont keep it afloat !

so option 5. Abandon Sandbox and Cancel COE, PCR tests, Quarantine, flash your vaccine passport and get on with tourism with Sandbox

Vaccine passport? Countries are now setting expiry dates even for those. Austria and Croatia will not accept passports older than 210 days. If Thailand did same that would mean neither myself nor my Thai wife could visit after January 29th 2022.

Like I said earlier this nonsense will never stop

cant vote, 

thais isolated them selve, keep covid out..it cant bcs due to landboarders

now they double hit  ...failure of goverment action--vaccination--

everybody even vaccinated or not will get over time  covid. we just extend the time and lockdowns

open without limits and push up vaccination.  or maximum open all for vaccinated  people without limit

we have to live with covid for next xx years

all lockdowns and meassures are stupid not only in thai, it many reduce temporary infecction, but not in medium term. the price for all countrys is to high

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, mlkik said:

Last year I did the 15 night quarantene in Bangkok and paid ฿40.000 .I have since returned to the UK and had my double vaccination.

In 6 weeks time I am flying direct to Phuket and staying in a 5 star hotel and the cost of that stay and my 3 PCR tests is ฿22.500.

I much prefer the thought of my up coming stay in Phuket to the Bangkok quarantene.

For us long stay visa holders it is a much better way to return home to Thailand.

Agreed but not normal way when one is vaccinated

• Like 2

Didn't they say they would shut it down once cases reached a certain level but of course the cases are far in excess of that and to save face they are shuffling along with it.

Pity the silly buggers who want to come and find everything closed.

It’s real purpose is a distraction from the shambles of the vaccination programme and collapse of the tourist trade. A false dawn it was always going to be with no addressing of the fundamentals. Thailand cannot pivot away from tourism thought it may still lose a chunk as a byproduct of the mismanagement. Thais have not got the education system nor skills necessary to substitute for higher tech/knowledge based industries,nor will have - it hasn’t even begun to be addressed so it’s generations away. Mass tourism doesn’t require those skills in any great way so it’s all they’ve realistically got. What industry they have got may also be vulnerable to technical developments elsewhere including AI. The long term outlook with the current mindset is  worrying and the signs are already there

• Like 1

Thai police bid for positions in the Highway Traffic Police because they collect money from traffic offenders who don't want to pay fines.

You can bet the hotels participating in the Sandbox as well as the quaratines were NOT selected on merit, but were 'successful bidders'.

Who did they pay to? ????

Who was running the aution?

Edited by TechnikaIII
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, mlkik said:

Last year I did the 15 night quarantene in Bangkok and paid ฿40.000 .I have since returned to the UK and had my double vaccination.

In 6 weeks time I am flying direct to Phuket and staying in a 5 star hotel and the cost of that stay and my 3 PCR tests is ฿22.500.

I much prefer the thought of my up coming stay in Phuket to the Bangkok quarantene.

For us long stay visa holders it is a much better way to return home to Thailand.

BINGO