Thailand could see 500,000 more infections if the country rushes reopening

webfact

How about mentioning that this is the worse case scenario and is unlikely to happen? Reopening does not mean  to go back to the days before the pandemic.  It does not mean draconian lockdowns. It means living with the virus. It will likely involve negative covid tests before arrival, vaccine passports, masks, social distancing, temperature checks, vaccinating the vulnerable and continually vaccinating the whole population.

• Confused 1

18 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand could see an additional 500,000 Covid-19 cases and 7,500 fatalities by the end of the year

Not sure what is meant here by "additional", either in cases or deaths?

I assume it means incremental over some accepted baseline figure?

Without defining that baseline figure this "prediction" is challenging to understand.

On their own, these would represent 4,000 cases per day, and 60 deaths, assuming 125 days left in the year.

18 hours ago, webfact said:

[500,000]This includes likely unreported cases and asymptomatic cases, said Dr Thira Woratanarat, a professor of medicine at Chulalongkorn University, on his Facebook page.

This of course is already the case. Without testing in the 100k range we will never know.

Edited by dinsdale
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Pracha Duang said:

The entire point of covid is to create a permanent global slave class for the 1%.

Ah, it all makes sense to me now....

But can you tell us "who" is behind this grand scheme? Is it Dr. Evil?

Charlie___Sunny.jpg

48 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

According to EconThai, the jobless are those who work only 1-19 hours per week, whereas the employed work at least eight hours per day, or 48 hours per week.

And those who work between 20 and 48 hours a week are what? Semi-jobless?

Nah, they are just lazy. ????

a few days ago a thai drs article was quoted telling us he thought all the figs were lies and had been from day 1.lets go with that eh.theyve got who knows how many infections already.we will never know and they never stop lying.its a national obsession!so lets use a little logic,foreigners coming in will have a neg pcr test,thais didnt used to perhaps now im not sure so.....future tourists will be vacced twice too so.....this indicates that theyre not a high risk factor,guess who is?the level of intellect is barely discernable when it emanates from the mouths of any type of officialdom in this place,its unreal.its a blur of lies incompetence,racism,arrogance and of course that old chestnut the self important half wit,at last the locals seem to be seeing things a lot more clearly.i guess covid has focused things somewhat,shall we say its a catalyst?lets hope after the barbarity we saw on media the last few days these goons days are numbered as it seems weve all had enough now.

19 hours ago, webfact said:

This includes likely unreported cases and asymptomatic cases

Why focus so much on case numbers, especially asymptomatic ones? Please tell us the most important number, how many avoidable deaths will be caused by reopening. After all, most people recover when they get Covid, but death is final.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, smedly said:

what, like sinovac ?

people on here have been saying this for weeks yet they still keep buying millions of doses

Chinese-made vaccines not effective against Delta variant after one dose - Thailand News - ASEAN NOW formerly Thai Visa Forum

I agree, but since they are starting to place large orders of Pfizer and Moderna for private hospitals, things may look brighter next year.

Again, I completely agree that they totally messed up and should have done that 8 months ago...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Another alternative is to spend some of Thailand's alleged billions in foreign reserves to assist struggling industries as, for example, the UK has done. But then, the UK government cares about people's welfare. Thailand's doesn't.

I agree that the 50/50 or 5k relieves once in a while won't make people survive, but again this is Thailand where assistance is minimal compared to Western countries. I knew one day their way of thinking would show its limits, just didn't realize it would be that bad. It may open for adapted measures in the future, "may" being the key word...

This article says that unemployment was 1.06 percent in the first quarter and if not opened it might go to 2.5 percent by the end of the year?

anywhere else those figures would indicate an overheated booming economy?

There must be something that I don't understand?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pracha Duang said:

yep, at least you somewhat understand what is going on. Covid has always been about power, money, and control. The plebs are low information so they are easy to manipulate. The plebs do not seem to understand that the top 1% have all 100-1000xd their net-worth during covid and that covid has been massively beneficial for us. Meanwhile the 99% will all be crushed financially by inflation due to extreme monetary policies that have been taken “by design”. The middleclass is being systematically wiped out “by design” and everyone is too distracted by “what is basically the flu” to comprehend what is really happening to them. The entire point of covid is to create a permanent global slave class for the 1%. I’m literally part of the 1% so I would know. The elites will not need to hire Burmese for slave labor in the not so distant future. Their own citizens will be more than happy to take those jobs very soon. You think people are desperate now? You haven’t seen anything yet. 

I'm not willing to agree that there was a plan to do what is happening, at least not at first. I will agree on the consequences unfolding and that the 0.01% is doing what they can to wring all the benefits they can. That's what typically is done by those with the resources to weather the early disruptions and realign the policies of what they control. It is still IMO a short term strategy. Limits to Growth (the 1972 report by MIT) AND climate disruptions are each set to add bigger consequences that Covid has thus far leveled. ... So yes, we haven't seen anything yet.

52 minutes ago, Guderian said:

Why focus so much on case numbers, especially asymptomatic ones? Please tell us the most important number, how many avoidable deaths will be caused by reopening. After all, most people recover when they get Covid, but death is final.

As of yesterday, Thailand was listed on the Johns Hopkins website as being #10 on Covid Cases over the last 28 days. More consequential is that it was #7 on the Worldometers database list when sorted for severe or critical cases in hospitals.
Those stats put Thailand's current numbers in the range of far larger nations - most with greater resources.

AS MANY HAVE SAID, GETTING PEOPLE VACCINATED EFFECTIVELY NEEDS BE THE #1 PRIORITY AT THIS TIME.
Also IMO, MoPH has done the best they can with the vaccines in hand, but the unpublished study as to Mix-n-Match still needs to report on how quickly the efficacy of those two doses wears off. That's when a round of booster shots will be needed, sufficient to rapidly accommodate the full need of the people.

Falling short of that, and not masking effectively? That's being done in the states of Florida, Louisiana and Texas among others in the USA. I see those as large scale cult followings that far surpass what Jonestown, Guyana saw in 1978. Sad what cults can do to their followers.

CriticalCasesThailandN7.png.a333e1ca0f1f4850e0949c7a323a2f15.png

Edited by RPCVguy
wrong column highlighted
  • Like 2