New entry rules for Phuket to come into effect Sept 1

webfact

1630235880_1-org.jpg

Phuket Governor Narong Woonciew at the meeting yesterday (Aug 28). Photo: PR Phuket

By The Phuket News

PHUKET: Phuket Governor Narong Woonciew has announced that new rules for people to enter Phuket by land, sea or air will come into effect this Wednesday (Sept 1).

The announcement came following the meeting of the Phuket Communicable Disease Committee at Provincial Hall yesterday (Aug 28).

It also comes as the number of local COVID infections across the island continue to escalate and after the new Sandbox 7+7 travel bubble allowing fully vaccinated tourists to spend their first seven nights in Phuket and the following seven nights in other designated ‘Sandbox’ areas, including in Khao Lak in Phang Nga, Phi Phi Island in Krabi, and Koh Samui in Surat Thani.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/new-entry-rules-for-phuket-to-come-into-effect-sept-1-81223.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2021-08-30

I read the article, no mention of "new rules".

Maybe today?

As for people wanting to enter Phuket, Governor Narong noted, “As for the screening measures for people from outside the Phuket area, it is currently under discussion with related parties to obtain complete information.

It is expected that on Monday, August 30, will come to a conclusion about the screening measures for people entering the Phuket area so that we can announce an order in Phuket Province that will come into effect on September 1, 2021,” he said.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

Ever since the Sandbox started the local infection levels have risen..

was the local vaccination level just a lie?

Humm and what about the infection levels thru out Thailand and the dark red zones.  Glass huts everywhere ….careful where you throw those rice balls

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Carry on depriving the Phuket children of effective education so long as the sandbox remains open. 

If you're referring to Thai coming in from other parts I understand the reasoning, if you're referring to people coming in from abroad, your reasoning makes no sense.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wensiensheng said:

70% plus of Phuket is double jabbed. Is the current scenario in Phuket the one that the rest of Thailand is striving to achieve? Schools closed, bars closed, no alcohol in restaurants, no public gatherings, now maybe restricted to your own Tambon. Is that the life people will live once 70% fully vaccinated levels are reached across the country?

depends what you are double jabbed with

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

It does make one wonder how many were Vaccinated on Phuket, and how many times and with what vaccine.

I think there would certainly have been a considerable amount of Hype to the Vaccine levels prior to opening the Island, but the question has also to be asked " how many were allowed in prior to the complete Lockdown , and were some infected ? ", and have been spreading the Love all over the Island for weeks now.

Can somebody define "Hype" for me please?

This illustrates something that I've come to realize just recently (after going to and returning from the US, and finishing 14 days in ASQ):  no matter what the "rules" and "guidelines" may be where you're traveling to or from, they can change while you're traveling and you may well be stuck wherever you are.   I'm guessing this will be true for some time to come.  I will only travel if it's absolutely necessary.  No way I'm taking an international "vacation" just for the sake of a vacation.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Very clear what I am referring to. The kids are being deprived of effective education, yet this is supposed to be a model of opening up the entire country. Phuket had 70 percent vaxxed. If you cannot open schools now then you never can. Clear enough for you?

Thanks, so your comment is not related to the sandbox at all, even though you think it is.

Your post I reacted to "Carry on depriving the Phuket children of effective education so long as the sandbox remains open. ". You're claiming here the sandbox is the cause of Phuket children being deprived of education, your explanation says something different.

Edited by stevenl
  • Confused 2

8 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Thanks, so your comment is not related to the sandbox at all, even though you think it is.

Your post I reacted to "Carry on depriving the Phuket children of effective education so long as the sandbox remains open. ". You're claiming here the sandbox is the cause of Phuket children being deprived of education, your explanation says something different.

If the sandbox was not in operation strict lockdowns would have been implimented a longtime ago. Schools would be open now.

For sandbox to work the ridiculous measures for arriving tourists need to be dropped. For locals life should also carry on under new normal. That includes opening schools. That was the whole point of prioratizing Phuket for vaccination. If this is not implimented then it was all a waste of time  money and the education of the kids.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, wensiensheng said:

I just don’t get it.

70% plus of Phuket is double jabbed. Is the current scenario in Phuket the one that the rest of Thailand is striving to achieve? Schools closed, bars closed, no alcohol in restaurants, no public gatherings, now maybe restricted to your own Tambon. Is that the life people will live once 70% fully vaccinated levels are reached across the country?

I am a big proponent of lockdowns at the right time and implemented in the right way. I believe them to be absolutely essential in serving a particular purpose at a moment in time. This ain’t that time and trying to eliminate all cases to save tourism ain’t the purpose.

Scary isn't it?  Maybe Phuket was the wrong island to try it on as you need a governor with big kahunas to not worry too much about the cases, and just focus on how the hospitals are coping with "actual cases" (people who are genuinely in need of hospital treatment) rather than just the number of positive tests and adjust policy/restrictions based on that number.    Sadly, Phuket does not have one of these and seems to think the sandbox experiment is  equivalent to some kind of "mini Australia" where mad scientists think complete eradication of the virus is possible, rather than controlled and lived with via vaccinations.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

If the sandbox was not in operation strict lockdowns would have been implimented a longtime ago. Schools would be open now.

For sandbox to work the ridiculous measures for arriving tourists need to be dropped. For locals life should also carry on under new normal. That includes opening schools. That was the whole point of prioratizing Phuket for vaccination. If this is not implimented then it was all a waste of time  money and the education of the kids.

Ah, so that's why schools in Bangkok are open?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1