Defense team, police wants Joe Ferrari tried for manslaughter not murder

webfact

Has the hospital concluded the autopsy yet?

Let me guess, drug overdose- cannot redo autopsy or double check as the body has been cremated. Verdict some meaningless charge, suspended as 1st offense...... a few weeks in a monastery before quietly being reinstated somewhere to reappear in 5 years down the line into some other lucrative high ranking position.

Just as expected.

And here is the reason why:

2 hours ago, webfact said:

senior police officers close to Pol Col Thitisant “Joe Ferrari” Uttanapol

How "close"? Well, one can only speculate, but perhaps "so close" that they regularly received a "senior" share of the "profits" generated by "Little Joe" through the latter's various... uhm... activities.

9 minutes ago, tomacht8 said:

Further, the Thai Criminal Code imposes the maximum penalty of death, when the killing was done under the following circumstances:

1. If the victim is an ascendant of the offender;

2. If the victim is an official acting in the exercise of his official functions or having exercise his functions;

3. If the victim is a person who assisted, is planning to assist or has assisted an official who is performing an official function;

4. If the killing was premeditated;

5. If the offender employs torture or any acts of cruelty;

Lets hope that the prosecutor takes option 5 or that reporters bring this out if he does not resulting in protests.

This definitely fits this number 5

• Like 2

I don't have much hope for a fair judgment in the name of the people either.

However, it would be time for a court to show the Thai people that they do not tolerate torture police and murderers, putting plastic bags over people's heads and suffocate them.

An outlawing of bestial torture methods by police officers would be appropriate here.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ikke1959 said:

manslaughter and torture???? Oh wait That is normal practice so not punishable.  I strongly believe he is out of the country already...

Where was it stated that the offences were "not punishable"?

And he is in custody.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

Start of his acquittal and release.  Certain if he becomes  Monk for a week or 2, nd pays for the funeral of his victim.

He would not have turned himself in  unless he knew that he would get an acquittal of such a light sentence.  Deal has already been done, so why expect Justice.  TIT.

Just now, Robin said:

Start of his acquittal and release.  Certain if he becomes  Monk for a week or 2, nd pays for the funeral of his victim.

He would not have turned himself in  unless he knew that he would get an acquittal of such a light sentence.  Deal has already been done, so why expect Justice.  TIT.

Yes, turning himself in was almost certainly after negotiations had taken place to predetermine the outcome.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, webfact said:

was only guilty of manslaughter and not murder

I think that is the truth. It seems he wanted to extort money from the suspect. Dead suspects don't pay money. That makes it clear he didn't plan to murder the suspect.

And if the authorities to their job then it is likely they will find that was not the first time he tried to extort money and tortured suspects. That should be enough to jail him for life. At least it should be if the authorities really want that... 

3 hours ago, wprime said:

They're probably right, I doubt he intended to kill. It's hard to extort money from a dead man.

As I’ve suggested before. They already got all the information they needed using just one plastic bag. So the extra 5 were definitely an overkill or murder for sure. They have no right to torture anyone to death he needs to be made an example of. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Will B Good said:

The first thing I would question is what on earth has this got to do with ANY senior police officers?

It is the equivalent of the CPS that determine the charges and the defendant's defense team responsibility to defend him. It is nothing to do with the police.

The senior police officers have very considerable influence, and will deploy that influence to ensure that events follow the course which they wish them to.

• Like 1