Prayut walks back October reopening for the country

webfact

Well I am trying to remain positive on this one opening Bangkok in October 

I will have my second Corivirus vaccine Pfizer  this month up here  in the Province 

Plus need my hospital appointment re arranged hoping for October in Bangkok 

If its later so be it 

• Like 1

He did stipulate that the "October re-opening" (later walked back to 32 October) was contingent on the 70%/50 mm people fully-vaxxed/100 mm doses benchmark.

There are at 8,212,750 with 2 doses as of yesterday. So 16.5% of the way there.

They did do an incredible amount of vaccinations the last two days:

with just over 400,000 each day in second doses.

Probably could make it by 1/1/22, with decent supplies, but then they'll have ~ 12 - 15 mm people with two doses of sinovac, who we're told, will require a third shot/booster? 31.5 mm doses, so close to 16 mm people, or 32% of the target group.

Edited by mtls2005

1 hour ago, Tonypandy said:

And go bankrupt, and lose thier jobs if not already happened, and die of starvation 

That might still happen if a tourism dependent business. Mass tourism is over for the foreseeable. Even if Thailand opens tomorrow, it will take years to get back to close to what it was. 

Nobody dies of starvation in Thailand though, that bit was just hyperbole. 

22 minutes ago, Bkktodd said:

Some of us foolish  “tourists “ are booking to see our families and homes in Thailand ….FULLY vaccinated and covid tested 3-4 times  unlike many who comment in this forum. 

By your own admission you are not a tourist, and you can still get into Thailand with the correct paperwork. Don't understand your problem?

3 hours ago, bkk_bwana said:

Much as I dislike the PM, it's not just him or Thailand. Every country in the world has behaved exactly the same way. Flip-flop, changing policies, do this, do that. Say this, say that. Open this, close that. Nobody knows how to handle the pandemic 'properly'. Why should they?

Just do what the "Scientist's" say i reckon & use our own common sense,not Politics & stupidity (profit & greed)

7 minutes ago, shackleton said:

Well I am trying to remain positive on this one opening Bangkok in October 

I will have my second Corivirus vaccine Pfizer  this month up here  in the Province 

Plus need my hospital appointment re arranged hoping for October in Bangkok 

If its later so be it 

I hope so too.Anyway my wife say she dont want me to pay money for quarantene hotel again.Wasted money.Better use this money for a nice holiday or food.I agree that.She want to pick me  up in the airport and go straigth home.

• Like 1

Dear fellow posters.... some of you seem to have ignored the real issue.

I mean, we could pile sarcasm on his flip-flopping all day, and then argue about the benefits of a lockdown....

But here's the real issue.... This 'closure' is a joke. Draconian controls and requirements for people flying in, ostensibly to protect the country, except tons of migrant workers just waltz across the borders daily and spread the disease anyways. That's why they had a recent spike despite all the regulations and quarantines about entering the country.

As it stands, Thailand is becoming a joke. They close the country to tourists for no reasons and in the meantime the disease spreads regardless.

Opening the country could have helped the economy, while enforcing real controls at all the borders would have actually protected the country.

They did neither, and, as it is, the only result is ripping off the few idiots who went there anyways (assuming for tourism, obviously traveling there for other reasons like reuniting with family is another story)

What a joke of a country. No <deleted> way I'll go back until they eliminate their idiotic, and useless, quarantines. It's nothing but <deleted>.

4 hours ago, Taco said:

Yea no worries, tourists love last minute canceling their long awaited trips. Should be great for the million people+ out of work here as well. They don’t mind having nothing for the foreseeable future.

Main point for tourists is their own country allowing them back in after visiting Thailand. The UK now has a minimum 14 day quarantine at your their own expense. Good deterrent to not go. All those in Phuket either have to stay in Thailand or fork out 2,000 quid for their 14 day stay in the hotel.

6 hours ago, Why Me said:

Depends on the daily case numbers. If they drop to the hundreds - no I am not smoking anything, could  happen, it's the Delta characteristic to shoot up shoot down - no reason not to open.

Plus vaccines. At nearly million a day should be able to get 60-70% in the main pop centers jabbed by the end of the month. Which are herd numbers.

Have faith in Prayut. Man's dumb as a ham sandwich. But he likes his job.

You have to remember......Thai people had never heard about all these medical experts who are now in the limelight due to covid The health minster was just some guy. Now he sees himself as the DOCTOR who can save us all. a lot of these nobodies are now some bodies and they are loving it.

• Like 1

Just now, Andycoops said:

Yes but he's a so called general and army people like him no nothing of how to run a business or about economics.

They don't teach that in the military academy.

I don't think they teach anything.

There sure a lot of Generals though.  I wonder what the going rate is?

1 minute ago, Ginner said:

You have to remember......Thai people had never heard about all these medical experts who are now in the limelight due to covid The health minster was just some guy. Now he sees himself as the DOCTOR who can save us all. a lot of these nobodies are now some bodies and they are loving it.

I cringe when I see Anutin wearing a Medical outfit and a stethoscope around his neck.

What a phony!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bkk_bwana said:

Much as I dislike the PM, it's not just him or Thailand. Every country in the world has behaved exactly the same way. Flip-flop, changing policies, do this, do that. Say this, say that. Open this, close that. Nobody knows how to handle the pandemic 'properly'. Why should they?

Not exactly 

Most of EU countries have had a serious plan regarding opening countries for non essential reasons, such as tourism.

Take Spain, even last year, they opened 5 months after pandemic started.

It ended with a huge surge in cases at the end of summer, though.

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Thai Prime Minister Prayut Chan-ocha walked back the government’s deadline to open the country by October during censure debates on Wednesday and said he would only do so if it was “possible.”

What a class act.
"Dare to censor me and I'll hold the entire country's economy hostage.  Go ahead - make my day!"

I hope the parliament notices what happens when single individuals are granted total power and control when that power should be wielded by legislative representatives. 

IMHO, most likely they will open no earlier than mid December.

But, with Delta among us, where even vaccinated people can transmit virus as easy as non vaccinated, though a shorter period of days, it seems for me useless to wait for herd immunity.

Just focus on the elderly and those with underlying conditions.

Create more ICU beds.

Procurement of oxygen 

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Prayut said in June that he would reopen the country by October and that Thais must learn to live with Covid-19 or risk damaging the country’s economy further.

If he asked the Thais to learn to live with C19, then why October and not now? He can reopen now; it wouldn't make any difference.

1 hour ago, bkk_bwana said:

What news have you been following? It's always been over 60s first. That may not have worked in all ares, but it was certainly the intention.

Really ?

Those best connected come first in Thailand , thats how it has always been and the vaccine distribution was no exception.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Nobody dies of starvation in Thailand though, that bit was just hyperbole. 

I tend to agree with this. Not that I've traveled the length and breadth of the country. 

Certainly nobody is begging or visibly dying of starvation where I live in Pathum Thani. 

A recent news video I saw a small group of young(ish) ladies handing out food and water packages to 2 or 3 dozen people (in Pattaya ?) many of whom appeared overweight,  not skinny and fading away. 

It was a nice gesture...but

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, Soikhaonoiken said:

Flip - Flopping yet again Mr P, he doesn't know what planet he's on... 

Not so much flip flopping, he knew that when he said that he was trying to appease the industry,

but with little hope of achieving the necessary vaccination levels it was always going to be a non-starter.

As we see from the vaccination stats it's well short of the target of 70% let alone 100% double dosed with an effective vaccine.

International tourism is unlikely to start this year nationwide.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Oh but they will still open up as he said sector by sector, whatever the hell that means, even though he nows better as per this statement from the article in the OP:

“I said that if it is possible to reopen the country in October we will reopen, if not then we open it sector by sector,” the prime minister said. “Even if we are open, there will not be that many visitors because the pandemic is still there.”

You could say Phuket was a sector... that didn't work-out as promised.