Immigration promises no cover up after audio clip of "freedom in exchange for cash" hits social media

webfact

22 hours ago, jimrod said:

Because Thailand is the only country this happens in?
I think not. The main difference is, many in Thailand do it because they don't earn enough. In other countries, they do it to bolster what is already a healthy wage.
I'm, in no way, condoning their actions, but you'd think that Thailand is the only country it happens in.

In Thailand, governments, especially military unelected ones which Thailand seems to have the majority of the time, do not have the brains to hide their corruption.

In western countries, it is the exact opposite.

Is there a government in any western country that is free of corruption? I would doubt it very much.

• Like 2

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Out of all the people I know that live here (where I do), NONE of them use an agent to do their extension, all have funds in the bank, fact.

"Out of all the people I know that live here (where I do)" Are you talking about your village, Province or Thailand as a whole?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, brianthainess said:

I don't make that mistake, of not getting it the same day. Simple to me but for others well........

You tell me the big deal? 

a bank book which gives full history of all your transactions and which is updated to the very day of asking for a retirement extension with a letter that , (for ease so you can get to the office early) noting it's 1.5 hours away, you have printed late afternoon the day before, which I was told, by them previously, was valid for five days.

There is no reasonable answer for them not accepting it!!,...................... other than to look for an excuse that you haven't crossed their ' palms with silver ' and they are just being deliberately difficult, because they know how inconvenient it is, they know how far you have traveled, because they asked your spouse in conversation whilst you were waiting in the office.

They want you to offer money for an imaginary discrepancy to be overlooked because there are no hard and fast rules and offices are allowed to act independently and with autonomy.

It was not a 'mistake'  not getting it the same day, other than in a greedy Immigration Officer's attitude trying to be difficult. This is why people get cheesed off and just pay the corruption.

And keep your condescending holier than thou manner to yourself, implying you are perfect and the rest of us are simpletons.

6 hours ago, HAPPYNUFF said:

You obviously havent been into an Immigration Office    from Australia lately...You would have  great trouble finding an Australian working there...Plenty of Chinese, Indians and other nationalities however.     One time    one of them, from a certain  Asian country  started to question my wife.. Even though I realised,  to work in a Commonwealth Government office, you have to be an Australian citizen, even  a naturalised one. I asked  her what right did she, a foreigner in my eyes, have the right to question my wife in such a rude manner.

I bet that went well.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, brianthainess said:

That depends on what IO you use, Trat insist on same day. In fact I prefer it that way all done in one day. The afternoon is the best time to visit my IO as all the Early lot have left. In fact an officer told me one time "come afternoon more quite."

Ah, I get it now.

So, everything is rosy as long as it fits with your lifestyle and calendar, eh?

If I had known that I would have based my visit to an Immigration office in Isaarn by the convenient times that suit your local immigration office in Trat. And that would have achieved for me, precisely nothing.

It isn't a one size fits all.

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

Let us simply say the requirement is 'waived'.....

Immigration Officers have the authority to 'sign off' on some of the requirements, and this is the loophole often cited. 

It is what it is, has been around for a long time....and even when requirements change, it often looks as if one is being pushed towards the agent route!

My retirement fund averaged 20% last year. If I keep the money in the USA working for me and pay the agent here 15 K/ yr I'm way ahead of the game. And like you say, I believe they actually prefer us foreigners use an agent.

• Confused 2

12 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

My retirement fund averaged 20% last year. If I keep the money in the USA working for me and pay the agent here 15 K/ yr I'm way ahead of the game. And like you say, I believe they actually prefer us foreigners use an agent.

Of course they like the agent route, they get backhanders!

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

Of course they like the agent route, they get backhanders!

9 minutes ago, smedly said:

of course they do - they are making ###loads of money

So it's a win win situation. I'm satisfies and IO's are satisfied. Is this not an ideal situation where both sides are happy with the deal.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, HAPPYNUFF said:

You obviously havent been into an Immigration Office    from Australia lately...You would have  great trouble finding an Australian working there...Plenty of Chinese, Indians and other nationalities however.     One time    one of them, from a certain  Asian country  started to question my wife.. Even though I realised,  to work in a Commonwealth Government office, you have to be an Australian citizen, even  a naturalised one. I asked  her what right did she, a foreigner in my eyes, have the right to question my wife in such a rude manner.

I hope you weren't talking to an Aboriginal immigration officer!

• Haha 1

On 9/2/2021 at 11:34 AM, Andycoops said:

I can see the time looming on the horizon when you have to deal with immigration or the police of any kind, there will be a mandatory requirement to have all personal electronic devices switched off or handed in, like we used to do upon entering the British Embassy.

This is more about IED detonation rather than recording a government official in the case of the UK Embassy.

On 9/2/2021 at 3:09 AM, petermik said:

This comment sums it up in a nutshell

image.png.5fdf2052b27ab77baed3e754eb5e33f6.png

It would not be surprising if the RTP, often use all past evidence as an entertainment show, and indeed as an idiot's guide in "how not to do it".

By the way, anyone wondered why the majority of super-car club members (Ferrari, etc) happen to be affiliated to the Police force? Correct me if I am wrong!

I was asked for 20,000 baht in Pattaya immigration a few years back. They suddenly needed to enforce the TM 30 rule, I think it was, but for 20,000 the problem could "go away"; all very quietly explained in a back office by a senior officer. I politely declined and started travelling to Laos,  Cambodia, etc., as needed.

Married now, and two strokes later, and moved to Samut Prakan.

They can be a bit of a PITA, but have been honest, helpful, and consistent.

I do miss Laos trips, but would be less enjoyable with disability, if we could go. A few hours prep and waiting at S.P. immigration, and travel locally.????

Edited by Kwaibill
Expand

On 9/2/2021 at 10:18 AM, smedly said:

out of all the people I know that live here only two of them get their extensions without going through an agent and of those none of them have the funds in the bank and pay on average 15k for a 12 month extension - fact

We just borrowed 400,000 for my annual marriage "permission to stay" in two months. She spent a few minutes asking an officer if the "seasoning" before and after is neccesary. She is aware that the US embassy is no help any more, but if I can provide a "government paper", bank letter, and show the passbook with regular monthly deposits, good to go.  Anyone experienced with this method?

If they do accept my annual Social Security statement at the time, I'll report in.

Edited by Kwaibill
Typo

On 9/2/2021 at 3:00 PM, david555 said:

lazy for a 5 minutes job ....? ???? (as mine is ,...if going early morning to immigration ....)

But yes ,....this year the KK trainee needed 20 minutes for my bank letter instead of the 5 minutes from the normal staff to do it , and shocking....???? also in need of  5 minutes walk to  around the corner from KK beach road branch to Jomtien immigration .... i really understand your 2 friends ....it is a real burden ....???? loosing 40 minutes of their life.... 

BTW  can those 2 friends  walk or drive to the agent .... not lazy for that .....? ????

Tempting to find an agent, as it sometimes takes an hour each way, if my wife does not get lost (I don't drive, anymore)

Last time I misunderstood a paperwork requirement. No biggy, but took an extra hour to go to the police station and file for a lost TM whatever (which I found back home).

This last episode, other than drive time, was how we wish it always is, in and out in 30 minutes including a ten minute chat with an officer about the next "chore"; visa extension in two months.

10 hours ago, Kwaibill said:

Tempting to find an agent, as it sometimes takes an hour each way, if my wife does not get lost (I don't drive, anymore)

Last time I misunderstood a paperwork requirement. No biggy, but took an extra hour to go to the police station and file for a lost TM whatever (which I found back home).

This last episode, other than drive time, was how we wish it always is, in and out in 30 minutes including a ten minute chat with an officer about the next "chore"; visa extension in two months.

Understand it is not always easy or close by immigration office, my reply was more meant for those like living Pattaya/Jomtien  to " suffer" to do the trip to immigration ....as they live close ....and mostly only in those area Agents are available ... , "most"... just don' t have the 800K as invested somewhere else more profitable.........(as they say /claim..????????..) Hence the agent use 

But also you can not blame your trip to police for your lost TM ,as you  misplaced it at home ....lol ????

• Haha 1

You guys are just so cynical - the investigation will show there is no corruption in Thai Immigration. Its much the same as the claims that sexual services were available for cash in Pattaya.  A couple of years ago a group of top Thai policemen went out and about in Pattaya to get to the truth of the matter and established that there was no sex for sale there.  Please stop being so negative about the Thai police, they investigate everything thoroughly.????

• Haha 1

On 9/3/2021 at 1:24 AM, jacko45k said:

Let us simply say the requirement is 'waived'.....

Immigration Officers have the authority to 'sign off' on some of the requirements, and this is the loophole often cited. 

It is what it is, has been around for a long time....and even when requirements change, it often looks as if one is being pushed towards the agent route!

Semantics...it's still corruption. I understand you dont want to look at it as corruption, but you're paying him to "waive" or overlook a requirement to issue the extension...that is corruption! 

I get it, it's played off as that's just the way things are and everyone knows it and accepts it and things moves on.

I complained to my staff once about having to pay a fee to a govt official to get something done that day instead of 2 weeks. I was <deleted>, they just said that how it is, pay or wait. I feel bad for the low paid thais that have to deal with this, only the poor are in jail!

On 9/3/2021 at 10:16 AM, Kwaibill said:

We just borrowed 400,000 for my annual marriage "permission to stay" in two months. She spent a few minutes asking an officer if the "seasoning" before and after is neccesary. She is aware that the US embassy is no help any more, but if I can provide a "government paper", bank letter, and show the passbook with regular monthly deposits, good to go.  Anyone experienced with this method?

If they do accept my annual Social Security statement at the time, I'll report in.

You will find that all govt offices operate on their own interpretation of the rules. If the lady at your immigration told you that, then do it, make sure when you go back you see the same girl. If you see someone else things might change. 

I have heard from other guys that their immigration accepted monthly deposits, but they couldn't go below the monthly minimum deposit amount, so couldn't be an average(1 month high, 1 month low) to meet the requirement. So it's not unheard of. 

Hate to tell you this, there is no normal in Thailand. What it is today might be different tomorrow. Most of the time govt officials are ok, some very helpful, then you get a bad one, power hunger, greedy, corrupt to the core and that's when problems start.  Don't get me wrong, I love Thailand been living in Thailand 20+ years had my ups and downs but overall best decision I ever made. Good luck to you! 

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Bezdomny said:

My friend was paying  50.000 THB to a agent in Phuket for yearly visa. Every year it was more expensive, at the end was 90k THB. He didn't have to do 90 days report though.

Your friend  didn't qualify for said visa , didnt fulfil the requirements , so had to pay people off . 

He paid the money to be able to get something that he wasn't entitled to 

8 hours ago, ericthai said:

Semantics...it's still corruption. I understand you dont want to look at it as corruption, but you're paying him to "waive" or overlook a requirement to issue the extension...that is corruption! 

By some definition.... a surcharge by another!

I actually do not yet pay it, I put a million in a FD account years ago, and it is left there and the book dusted off once a year. Never a problem. But one day I may need to spend it, and after over 15 years here, I see the agent route as an alternative, they are facilitators. Time erodes the principle of it!

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1