Any Good Beet Root Recipe? ????

D M G

Can buy raw beetroot from Makro or Tops usually have it for 50 baht for 3 small beetroot about as big as a tennis ball. Tops probably better quality but often run out and the Makro is good. Just try and buy it as smooth skinned and perfect as you can, as Worgeordie says with tops on if possible. Wash the beets as best you can and leave skin on. You will need to put a lid on a pot, beets covered with a cm / 1/2 " water, add a teaspoon of salt...bring to the boil and simmer about 1.5 to 2 hours. Test by inserting a butter knife. Should still be firm not as soft as say a cooked potato.

The skins will just come off in your hand after cooking. I let them cool a bit then run under the tap to keep it cool as I rub the skin off. My recipe is a fair bit sweeter than previous but we like sweet beetroot in Australia. 

1 cup vinegar

i cup boiled water

1 cup sugar

teaspoon salt

teaspoon Thyme or Sage

Mix above together (enough for around 3 jars)

I use the bigger jam jars to store, should keep around 3 months. Boil your jars and lids for about 10 mins then let cool (Don't run under cold water)

Slice the beetroot in half then slice about 1/4" 

Gently add the beetroot to the jars (I usually make 3 or 4 jars at a time)

Leave around an inch of space at the top, then cover with pickling mixture, just covering the beetroot by about 1/4".

Can start eating next day they are delicious

• Like 1

Here's a coupla recipes once you've pickled your own or purchased your beetroot.

Aussie Burger:  Make a hamburger, add a slice of beetroot.

Kiwi Burger: Make a hamburger, add a slice of beetroot and a fried egg. Soggy coleslaw is optional.

I prefer pickled with dash of cloves and allspice for flavor

Also makes a difference what type of vinegar you use           (I have lots of options as I make my own vinegar's)

Try BBQ beets-either straight on the grill or wrapped in foil

Beet greens are a great vegetable dish steamed or blanched

Also there easy to grow

I usually dedicate at least one garden bed to just beets

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gsxrnz said:

Is he the guy with the Kiwi mate that eats, roots, shoots, and leaves?

I was on a cruise ship once and the croupier who Australian was talking to the players. She said my nickname is wombat. One guy American asks why wombat. She said I eat roots and leaves. It went straight over his head. I started laughing. I was the only other Aussie close by.

Back on topic. I buy my beetroot from Tops. I wrap in foil and boil in a slow cooker on high for 2 to 2.5 hours. After cooking I let them cool. The skins comes off very easily. I slice them and put in a jar with some vinegar. I then fill the jar with boiled water.

Edited by ripstanley
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Boil till tender , take skin off when cool , put in jars

spoon of sugar, top up with vinegar, it's that easy.

Trouble is lots of beetroot sold here is too big, they

have let it grow to long, and get very tough, and they

cut off tops and bottoms, so all the colour bleeds out

when you boil it. just had some ham and beetroot sandwiches.

regards worgeordie

Try it with a pressure cooker, I use a One Pot. Done in no time

• Like 1

Tops almost always have them ... both regular (cheaper) and "organic" (more expensive).

I simmer them in a slow-cooker for a few hours, when cooled then into the fridge ... easy to peel before eating.

I admire those here that add a pickling stage ... but I reckon they are fine eating without it.

7 hours ago, Gsxrnz said:

Here's a coupla recipes once you've pickled your own or purchased your beetroot.

Aussie Burger:  Make a hamburger, add a slice of beetroot.

Kiwi Burger: Make a hamburger, add a slice of beetroot and a fried egg. Soggy coleslaw is optional.

Raw, pickled or cooked?

• Like 1

If you live in the Pattaya area, a visit to the "Friendship Supermarket " on Pattaya Tai road might help you.

They have Beetroot in the Salad bar selection most Days, already cooked.

Take some home, and splash a little Malt Vinegar on with some Cheese in a Sandwich.

Or any other combo you think you may like

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When you have boiled and squeezed off the skins use a hand cheese grater to shred the beetroot into a bowl. Best to then squeeze out the excess liquid. I do this by pressing down with a saucer or similar and drinking the beetroot juice rather then ditching it. Into the bowl then add a bit of apple or balsamic vinegar, olive oil, pinch of salt and maybe a touch of salt and mix. You will then have a bowl of wonderful beetroot salad that you can keep for a few days in the fridge. I have never tried freezing or jar-ing it but maybe you can.

• Like 1