Where to live? Pleonchit/Nana/Asoke/PhromPhong/Thonglor/Ekkamai/Onnut

dj230

Was wondering what are the Pros and cons of each? 

New to bangkok, still am thinking of where to live. 

so far I’ve only really went to asoke/nana/pleonchit/onnut, brief visits to look at condos 

haven’t been to phromphong, thonglor or ekkamai yet 

so far from what I’ve seen,

it looked like asoke was the best place to live for transportation (had both MRT/bts), onnut was the cheapest but a bit older (it looked more residential), pleonchit was more newer/city lifestyle (didn’t feel like Thailand) and nana was for tourists (foreigners + bar girls)  

have yet to see thonglor and phromphong, they look similar to asoke without the office buildings, bit older/run down, lots of small stores, and also some chain restaurants/malls

havnt seen ekkamai but it looks like onnut, cheaper/run down/older stores and more of a residential area

whats everyone’s take on where’s the best place to live in the sukhumvit area and why? 

Edited by dj230

Do you work?

Do you like to go to restaurants?

Do you prefer local markets or shopping malls?

Do you plan to visit the bars and drink after Covid?

Do you drive car or ride a bike?

I think the main point is be near to where you want to be. I.e. I live in lower Sukhumvit and almost anything I do is within 2km radius. Perfect.

Long distances means more time in the BTS or traffic or both.

If you feel comfortable with a bike then get one. It make life so much easier for shopping, eating, etc. 

Currently rent prices are low. You can get nice places for little money.

31 minutes ago, Maha Sarakham said:

Asoke, proximity to BTS/MRT and nearly anything needed.

The location is good but the condo I went to see was a bit mediocre for the price, I only went to Ashton asoke but the rooms were cramped, small TVs, building wasn’t taken care of, amenities were mediocre, no ac in the building (except in rooms) 

I found condos in nana, rama9, pleonchit and onnut to be much better for cheaper, but asoke has the MRT/bts and terminal 21

Nana seems pretty cheap for being close to Asoke and the condos look better, but its filled with tourists

3 hours ago, dj230 said:

I found condos in nana, rama9, pleonchit and onnut to be much better for cheaper, but asoke has the MRT/bts and terminal 21.

Of course, the further you go out from convenience the cheaper it gets, this is true anywhere in the world.  Location, location, location.

If you want to be in the center of it all and a quick BTS/MRT ride away, Asoke can't be beat.  Check the older condos in the area that have been renovated for bigger rooms at a lower price. 

Any relatively new condo in Thailand (such as Ashton) is usually less than 30 sqm and not ideal for long-stay.  Just don't do it.  50 sqm+ 1 BR minimum.

• Like 2

Not quite sure really, i'm surrounded with several new giant buildings being build all around me, couple are a 40 story hotels, (good luck with that though) they work like 20 hours a day 7 days a week, but last time i looked at my street's sign it said Sukhumvit 59...

Edited by ezzra

30 minutes ago, RAZZELL said:

You have to ask yourself why do you need to live in those areas?

It depends what your budget is but a small condo is like a living in prison cell, as mentioned 50m2 + is a good start. Around Asoke "The Room 21" is a decent place.

However, if you are not working the "temptations" will cost you more than you pay in rent ????

Lived around Saphan Thaksin at The River condo for two years, loved the area and the building.

Close to ICONSIAM, local street food decent restaurants and bars next to SenaFest and only 15 minutes to Siam Paragon.

RAZZ

Yeah...second the area around Saphan Taksin and also Surasak or Chong Nonsi....of course I spent 3 years on the other side of the river too, which was also great albeit quite different than areas mentioned. 

• Like 1

Take a Look around Lumpini Park Area and Sathorn.  BTS and MRT are pretty much close by to anywhere you might find.  Of course the prices are a bit on the high side.  I like living here, and is why I bought my condo where I did.  MRT is just a hop skip and a jump away.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Maha Sarakham said:

One of the hidden gems of Bangkok if you're a fan of the riverside area.

I looked at a unit there, as I wanted to have a view of the fireworks show for New Years and then be close to Icon Siam, in the end I decided on the Lumpini Area of Sathorn.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 2

My partner and I have a getaway condo close to the Phetchaburi MRT station and we like this area.  One subway stop gets us to Rama 9 Mall, Fortune Town, and the G Building.  One stop the other way gets us to T21.  When travel opens up we like that we can walk across to the Airport Link.  

The area seems to be getting popular with the new Singha Complex, a new sports field, and several new office buildings.  A selection of condo choices with The Address Asoke, Q Asoke, Villa Asoke, Life Asoke, Ideo Mobi Asoke, The Lofts Asoke, Circle and Circle Prototype, among others.  

• Thanks 1

Much more important than location, all of which you list are quite livable (my preference is Nana/Asoke) is the condo facilities and condo management.

You want a fairly new condo, usual facilities, but a strong management who control things tightly.

Imagine 400 plus rooms fully occupied and even if only 10% of the occupants can't behave like normal human beings, you will have major problems.

As an aside, do not buy...rent.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, newnative said:

My partner and I have a getaway condo close to the Phetchaburi MRT station and we like this area.  One subway stop gets us to Rama 9 Mall, Fortune Town, and the G Building.  One stop the other way gets us to T21.  When travel opens up we like that we can walk across to the Airport Link.  

The area seems to be getting popular with the new Singha Complex, a new sports field, and several new office buildings.  A selection of condo choices with The Address Asoke, Q Asoke, Villa Asoke, Life Asoke, Ideo Mobi Asoke, The Lofts Asoke, Circle and Circle Prototype, among others.  

I found the condos in rama9 to be new and cheap, 10k for a studio at life asoke rama 9 and it looks better than most ”luxury” condos. That was probably one of my choices to live, if the gym was open there I would have rented a unit there. 

Ended up renting a condo in pleonchit since I work/study at home and order everything anyways. Not the best location for transport but I mainly rented it because the gym is open at this condo, might switch in the near future. 

Pleonchit reminds me of Toronto too much, everyone’s a bit more stuck up/posh, less down to earth. It’s not very crowded here though which is a plus, very little people compared to other areas I’ve been to.

Might move after lockdowns but it’s a nice quiet place to stay while things are locked down 

I'd go the other way out of Siam to Rachatewi. Tons of housing options and I can walk to BTS in 4 minutes and airport train in 8 minutes. Walk to Paragon 12 minutes , Central World 15 min. Coffee shops all over and many , many restaurants 5-10 min walk and local area with much cheaper options West of station and tons of new ( and older ) buildings East. I find Phaya Thai BTS area to have less options of everything however compared to Rachatewi. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dj230 said:

Pleonchit reminds me of Toronto too much, everyone’s a bit more stuck up/posh, less down to earth.

That's because you're a stone's throw away from Embassy row...with the US Embassy leading the way....Hi-brow neighborhood

29 minutes ago, tonray said:

That's because you're a stone's throw away from Embassy row...with the US Embassy leading the way....Hi-brow neighborhood

Ruamrudee sois 1, 2 & 3 (parallel to Wireless Road) are anything but hi-brow or hi-so.  A good range of affordable condos in a prime city centre location.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Make a list of things that you want from an area/location and then choose based on that. Firstly do you work and therefore do you need to commute each day? Do you like outside sport type activity and want to be near a park? Do you want to eat in local establishments or foreign type franchise restaurants? Do you want to be near a big supermarket? Do you drive?  Do you want a condo with gym and pool or would you prefer a private fully equipt gym to join as a member. What type of people do you want to hang out with? Make a list for yourself and then find somewhere that meets your needs. I wouldn't want to live in any of the areas you selected, but that's because my wants and needs differ to yours, not because the areas that you selected are necessarily a bad choice.

• Like 2

Aree is nice, and we were there 7 years.

Then, saw a full detached house with 2-car garage, garden in a quiet lane near Sutthisan,  cheaper than Nana etc condos. Still in perfect peace after 10 y. No problem cos my clubbing days are long gone.

NEVER buy. You might get fed up in a few years. Or you wake up to a new tower block looking down...there are no planning regs here, just fat brown envelopes. Also, people don't buy like the UK or USA. Posh Thais buy new, poor Thais just live in shanties. You can't sell.

Eddy

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aussieroaming said:

Make a list of things that you want from an area/location and then choose based on that. Firstly do you work and therefore do you need to commute each day? Do you like outside sport type activity and want to be near a park? Do you want to eat in local establishments or foreign type franchise restaurants? Do you want to be near a big supermarket? Do you drive?  Do you want a condo with gym and pool or would you prefer a private fully equipt gym to join as a member. What type of people do you want to hang out with? Make a list for yourself and then find somewhere that meets your needs. I wouldn't want to live in any of the areas you selected, but that's because my wants and needs differ to yours, not because the areas that you selected are necessarily a bad choice.

I was hoping people could list the pros and cons of the areas i listed, I havn't been around bangkok long enough to know what each place offers

I might have to explore, I have yet to go to a lot of places, so I can't really make a good decision yet

Some good points in posts above.

I look from different angle.

Obviously such things as proximity to BTS/MRT already mentioned.

The most important thing imo is the building itself and more difficult than one would think.

Putting aside folk that want to buy as that's completely different.

I wonder if anyone can suggest what's some important factors in condo selection. I will kick it off.

1. No privately owned rooms.

2. Low rise say 7-8 levels max 

3. Suggestions? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

To be honest they all offer much the same as they are all in central Bangkok!  You definitely have to explore (or employ an agent), or, as many have advised you already, look at the location of your work/school, as day to day travelling/commuting is key.

work/school is online and i usually get delivery for groceries or household items

i just have no clue what each place offers

Edited by dj230

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

The most important thing imo is the building itself and more difficult than one would think.

I wonder if anyone can suggest what's some important factors in condo selection. I will kick it off.

3. Suggestions? 

I agree, the building itself is a huge factor for me. From what I have seen from the few condos I looked at, the Life condo's are taken care of quite well for the price. 

I went to see ashton asoke a few times because it was in a great location but I couldn't bring myself to rent a place because the building was fairly bad compared to cheaper condos like "life" condos, and the building itself wasn't taken care of at all.

I went to see an ideo mobi condo and it was okay, but definitely wasn't taken care of like the life condos (life asoke rama 9 and life one wireless, both cheap condos and were much more impressive than ashton asoke).

I remember I went to see a condo in rama 9, was more expensive than life asoke rama 9, right beside it, called chewathai residence, it looked really run down/old. The pricing for condo's in bangkok don't really correlate to the quality of the condo 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

3. Suggestions? 

This is what my partner and I wanted and looked for:  

Very close to a metro stop, less than 2 minute walk.

Not a huge number of units, our project has around 500.

Not a huge number of hotel-size units that lend themselves to being used for illegal daily renters.  No studios or units less than 35sqm in the project.  Our project has no units less than 42sqm and no studios; most are larger 1 and 2 bedroom units of 48 to around 100sqm.

Well-maintained project with ample garage parking.

Good views.

Good facilities--Big pool, air-conditioned gym, Large library or sky lounge with wi-fi, good number of elevators and staff, nice lobby.

Walk to Airport Link.

Good-size balcony and good condo layout, materials, and floor plan.

Washer-dryer hookup and space for it.  If on the balcony, still room for table and chairs.

• Like 1