Is the mandatory possession of a suitable smartphone really a prerequisite to entering Thailand these days?

8 minutes ago, Denim said:

You seem to be under the impression I have something against smartphones which I do not. In fact I am using one now.

My issue is with poorly designed apps. If you are a regular visitor to this forum you will be aware that many people have a low opinion of Thai designed apps that often dont work properly . because they are not well thought out.

Again. Look at the link to the provided app and tell me in your honest opinion that it could not have been designed better.

Do you really think someone is not going to come to Thailand because of an App ??

The CoE process itself, while not that complicated (once we’ve gone through the process) is daunting for a newbie, such to the point that it will prevent the tourists who have choice, but an App... no one cares except a few old timers. 

Apps are a way of life now.... we have to get used to it, be it ordering on Lazada, Shopee, Grat Taxi, Uber, FoodPanda, GrabFood, Eatigo, mBanking, TV watching, Music, Messaging, Maps...

.... even booking the vaccine... 

These days life just gets more difficult without a smart phone... none of the Apps are great. 

The Morchana and Thailand Plus Apps aren’t terribly designed, it does what it needs to - I’m not sure what the issue is.

Now... If you want to discuss Immigration Apps... then I’m right with alongside you on that one !!! terrible. 

• Like 1

I didn't have a smart phone until early last year when it seemed rather tedious (and pointless) writing down my name and phone number every time I went into Tesco - downloading the ThaiChana app and scanning a QR code seemed much less fuss. Now I wouldn't be without a smartphone, which amongst many advantages now carries the MorProm app showing my Covid vaccination.

Incidentally, has anyone been pinged as a result of scanning the ThaiChana QR thing? Does it actually work? Signing/scanning yourself into our local Tesco these days seems as much honoured in the breach as the observance. Perhaps the real point of smartphones is the illusion of being in touch.

It's £100 for a reasonable phone that will do the job and hold copies of your paperwork. Really is a sound investment, given the current procedures.

I downloaded the app never been requested to show it at the airport on entry or elsewhere. 

Good point about line communication in quarantine too.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, jazzdog32095 said:
35 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Do you really think someone is not going to come to Thailand because of an App ??

The CoE process itself, while not that complicated (once we’ve gone through the process) is daunting for a newbie, such to the point that it will prevent the tourists who have choice, but an App... no one cares except a few old timers. 

Apps are a way of life now.... we have to get used to it, be it ordering on Lazada, Shopee, Grat Taxi, Uber, FoodPanda, GrabFood, Eatigo, mBanking, TV watching, Music, Messaging, Maps...

.... even booking the vaccine... 

These days life just gets more difficult without a smart phone... none of the Apps are great. 

The Morchana and Thailand Plus Apps aren’t terribly designed, it does what it needs to - I’m not sure what the issue is.

Now... If you want to discuss Immigration Apps... then I’m right with alongside you on that one !!! terrible. 

Expand  

No cellphone in 10 years. I intend to bi-pass the smart phone for the soon to be mandatory micro-chip embedded in the frontal lobe.  

You'll need a smart phone to adjust the settings....  ????

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, gk10012001 said:

I do think it is funny that the hotel wanted photos of the thermometer readings.  It seems pretty easy that one could just wait a few moments for the temperature reading to go down, or for you to take the temperature of something that was a proper temperature, maybe run the shower a bit until you get the temperature right and then take a reading?

haha - thats quite funny.... and I know why they’d do it !!.... I just made up my Temp half the time... couldn’t be bothered checking it morning and night.

• Like 1