Is the mandatory possession of a suitable smartphone really a prerequisite to entering Thailand these days?

8 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Thats just a very odd response DBath....  What ‘motive’ have you imagined ?

The advice to anyone coming to Thailand at the moment, Get a Smart phone which can show your QR code. If someone objects to that measure, they are not agreeing to the Terms and Conditions of Entry, so don’t come - its that simple. 

It was you who stated it’s a requirement to have the app on your phone, simply because you were asked for it.

As a frequent traveler, I’m saying that’s bunk. 

You further stated:

11 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Ultimately it's simple: You need a smart phone which can show a QR code. 

If this is too much for you, don’t come - it really doesn’t get any simpler than that. 

And…you used your previous “it’s required” claim to support it. 

I’m saying both points are false. Is that simple enough for you?

13 minutes ago, jonclark said:

Nothing in the law that says foreigners cannot take part in or organise a protest.  It may not be wise and sensible but it is not illegal or outlawed in any way. 

If you broke the law while protesting etc - then you could expect legal consequences - as many Thai people have found out. 

I was not saying you could not protest I said it won't have much impact. In your own country you can vote for change if the group is large enough. Here you will never be able to vote or pressure the government. Only thing is protest by not coming and depriving them of money.

4 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

It's just the way the world is moving forwards. As much as many would want to, we can’t hold back the tide of progress. 

I personally believe these ’track and trace’ methods are extremely helpful. 

That said, I wonder if Thailand has the capacity to utilise these tools properly. 

In the Middle East the ’Track and Trace’ App I was using there ‘went off’ - I received an alert that I’d recently been in proximity with someone who had since tested positive.

As I was at work, I was tested for free and found to be negative.

For the Purposes of entry to Thailand we have to confirm. We are already conforming to a lot of things such as Immigration requirements, this is just another requirement which is not really a significant issue in times of a pandemic. 

As soon as the Emergency Decree is lifted, we can remove any Apps we do not want. 

I fully expect that in the near we will have a Digital Travel Passports to prove our vaccination status and for those who do not want the Digital Version there will be a ‘physical’ alternative. 

Some people see all of this as ‘government control’ and ’threat’  (as you put it) - but that is a little too close to ‘conspiracy speak’ for my tastes, viewing the issue from an alternative point of view, these ‘measures’ (such as Thailand Plus and Mor Chana) are the governments attempts to control the spread of the virus.

With regards to Smart Phone use in general - thats just a personal choice, I agree with a lot of the reasons that someone may not wish to have a smart phone (my father refuses to have a phone at all),  personally, I find phones extremely useful (and have already used my Phone a lot this morning). 

That said: when it comes to typing out and e-mail etc, and even typing on this forum, I find a computer much much better. Again, thats personal choice. 

Indeed you cant stop the tide of progress. Why would one. I mean same is with music it changes and all generations have comments on the music of the next generation.

Thai apps are not that great that should change. But apps like banking apps are usually good because they are made by professionals instead of the Thai government.

Like you i prefer my computer over my smartphone (except for banking in Thailand). Smartphone is just too hard to type fast like on a computer. 

21 minutes ago, DBath said:
36 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Thats just a very odd response DBath....  What ‘motive’ have you imagined ?

The advice to anyone coming to Thailand at the moment, Get a Smart phone which can show your QR code. If someone objects to that measure, they are not agreeing to the Terms and Conditions of Entry, so don’t come - its that simple. 

Expand  

It was you who stated it’s a requirement to have the app on your phone, simply because you were asked for it.

You further stated:

36 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Ultimately it's simple: You need a smart phone which can show a QR code. 

If this is too much for you, don’t come - it really doesn’t get any simpler than that. 

And…you used your previous “it’s required” claim to support it. 

I’m saying both points are false. Is that simple enough for you?

OK... So you are saying that the requirement to show Mor Chana (on Entry to Phuket) and Thailand Plus (on Entry to Bangkok) is false.

You are incorrect, which may lead some who are reading this to be of the assumption they do not need a Smart Phone to enter Thailand when in fact having the Apps downloaded onto your phone is a requirement for entry. 

The info-graphics from MoPH and CCSA web pages clearly states the requirements. 

Entering-Phuket.jpg

7-Steps-To-Enter-Thailand.jpg

23 minutes ago, DBath said:

Just curious DBath, as a frequent traveller, have you entered into Thailand in the past 12 months via the ASQ or SandBox route ?

i.e. have you first hand information that YOU did not require to show Mor Chana or Thailand Plus on a Smart Phone ?

A couple of guys have posted that they didn’t have a smart phone and were not pushed on the matter. 

I on the other hand have been requested to show the Downloaded App on my Smart phone. 

------

I was asked to show that I had downloaded Thailand Plus App at Check-In in London Last year, then again upon arrival in Bangkok.

Earlier this year, I was not asked to show the App on Check-in (departure to Thailand), but was asked to show the Thailand Plus App on arrival in Bangkok. 

Last week, I was not asked to show the App on Check-in (departure to Thailand), but I was asked to show the Mor Chana App on arrival in Phuket.

The Hotel has also scanned the QR code on the Mor Chana App daily.

28 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

In laymen's terminology, when you have this mor chana app installed on smart phone what exactly do you do with it or what do others do???

Mor Chana tracks your location. 

So, IF you test positive for Covid-19, they can look at where you have been and test those people in that area and check if anyone there has unwittingly caught Covid-19.

Additionally, the Hotel scans your QR code daily. I believe this is an additional measure to ensure that Sandbox arrivals have not ‘snuck’ off the island etc. 

It's basically a ‘Track and Trace’ app. 

Nothing needs to be ‘done’ on the App - other than allowing it to run and opening it to show to the hotel daily (and on arrival). 

IMG_8434.thumb.jpg.853daab1388879d38b61d19f2afedd69.jpg

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, sezze said:

Euhm , maybe your phone provider gives you good amount of roaming data . Mine is 10 euro / MB , opening your phone data another country makes your phone check all straight away which does cost a few MB . I once made that mistake in Abu Dhabi , sending me before even doing anything a bill of between 50-100 euro . Im guessing a tracking app , will also give me a few data packages to send , so im guessing about the same amount ... without actually using my phone , 75 euro at present rate is 3000 baht . Im not moaning about the few 1000 baht , im moaning about a few 1000 baht before i even done anything at all , and counting extra for every second ( since it is a tracking app ) .

Simple solution, you know what the Thai governments Covid requirements for visitors are in advance, don't come if it it's all too much for you

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, toofarnorth said:

Good man , my nokia must be of that age.  If out and it rings folk look at me as if feeling sorry , yet I feel sorry for them as they are addicted to them , can't go 5 mins without looking at the damn thing !

Yeah its annoying getting line messages every 5 mins from Lasses that want to shizzle my nizzle.

Lets all just remember that if you do install the app - you can always unistall it when you feel the app has served it purpose. 

At the end of the day we are in charge of our own phones and we can install and delete apps as we see fit. If some jobsworth offical wants to make life hard for you. Install the app, satisfy his need, walk away and uninstall, job done, he's happy, your happy. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

In laymen's terminology, when you have this mor chana app installed on smart phone what exactly do you do with it or what do others do???

Additional to the info given by richard_smith237 it can record and display the details of your vaccination(s), should you need to produce this evidence anywhere, rather than carrying paper documents.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, sezze said:

Euhm , maybe your phone provider gives you good amount of roaming data . Mine is 10 euro / MB , opening your phone data another country makes your phone check all straight away which does cost a few MB . I once made that mistake in Abu Dhabi , sending me before even doing anything a bill of between 50-100 euro . Im guessing a tracking app , will also give me a few data packages to send , so im guessing about the same amount ... without actually using my phone , 75 euro at present rate is 3000 baht . Im not moaning about the few 1000 baht , im moaning about a few 1000 baht before i even done anything at all , and counting extra for every second ( since it is a tracking app ) .

Most people I know who stay in Thailand for a holiday get a Thai sim and pay some money and don't have the problem you complain about.

11 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Mor Chana tracks your location. 

So, IF you test positive for Covid-19, they can look at where you have been and test those people in that area and check if anyone there has unwittingly caught Covid-19.

Additionally, the Hotel scans your QR code daily. I believe this is an additional measure to ensure that Sandbox arrivals have not ‘snuck’ off the island etc. 

It's basically a ‘Track and Trace’ app. 

Nothing needs to be ‘done’ on the App - other than allowing it to run and opening it to show to the hotel daily (and on arrival). 

IMG_8434.thumb.jpg.853daab1388879d38b61d19f2afedd69.jpg

So your personal info is recorded on app and as you scan this info is relayed on I'm assuming. Thanks

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HeijoshinCool said:

I'll get back to you next month on this very thread, with a report after I clear immigration phone-less and care-free, replete with documentary evidence, oh great one of infinitesimal opinions.

That will be interesting to read. 

If arriving after reading this thread I’d be tempted to say I didn’t own a phone just to see what the fallout may be.  

It’s an interesting conundrum but really it’s not worth the hassle. 

4 hours ago, ramrod711 said:

I came to Thailand in 2005, I had never owned a cellphone until I bought one here. I bought it in case I got lost, and ended up losing two phones in less than two weeks. 

if  its  anyhting like my  glasses  Ill break them at least twice a  month by sitting on them.

3 hours ago, toofarnorth said:

Yes my bad david555 , see I have only 3 furlung friends up here and one is David so when I see the name David I assume the name belongs to a Brit. or close.

No i was  just very lucky by birth to be born as  a real European .....Thanks mummy  ????  (tongue in cheek ....???? )

Edited by david555
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, nrasmussen said:

I find it hard to believe that anyone in this day and age would travel anywhere without a smartphone.

I do as I have injured fingers and cannot use the mini touch screens. My old 3G Nokia is ideal for me - just calls and messages via keypads!! Fortunately, the app here in Cambodia is not mandatory and from my experience, is rarely used. Only my bank insists on entry registration using the app or by signing a book. The big supermarkets I shop at, including MAKRO, insist on a facemask, hand sanitization and temperature check but no app registration even though the QR code is displayed. Commonsense in my opinion.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

But... You are spreading the ‘advice’ that the Smart Phone is not needed for arrival via ASQ or SandBox and this is not true. 

Having entered 2x via ASQ route (into Bangkok) I have had to show the Thailand Plus App upon arrival both times. 

Currently in the Sandbox (Phuket), I had to download and register with the Mor Chana App and have had to have my QR code scanned daily by the hotel staff. 

With the current regulations anyone entering Thailand without a smartphone risks unnecessary difficulties and hassle. 

It's better to have cheap smart phone and not need it than to arrive without and face problems. 

The point you keep missing here and the question you keep refusing to answer is:

What would’ve been the result had you arrived with a hardcopy COE and not had a smartphone or say, your phone had a dead battery? Would you have been turned away? Not likely…because the ‘requirement’ is not being enforced. 

Then, as you always seem to do, you respond with a 10-page dissertation including elements like “Phuket Sandbox” that weren’t even part of the original discussion (I guess so you can showcase your superior knowledge to everyone). 

I’ve never once seen you admit or apologize when you’ve been wrong. Just one more reason I usually try to avoid having conversations with you. It takes too much time and my time worth more to me. 

I’m curious, what do you do for a living? I ask because having had a long career where 16 hours a day was the average, I could never have had the time to spend the kind of time you do on this forum - writing reams of retorts spouting your pro-authoritarian views. 

You seem like an intelligent guy and all, but…just saying. 

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Does it have a spell checker built in?

NO that is the problem ! , and the ones they have is not doing it automatic by typing as on a laptop , they need a separate screen opening ..... to complicated on those nasty smarty's ????

20 minutes ago, robblok said:

Most people I know who stay in Thailand for a holiday get a Thai sim and pay some money and don't have the problem you complain about.

And then we get the problem i mentioned . I always do also , and if i come i will do again , as fast as possible . It was always possible when in airport , buying max packages from 1 of the providers ( i had a few , but last few times was AIS ) . Now , it isnt possible , since you can't get there .

It is not that i do not want to follow the rules , they only make them not easy . Are there ways around it , sure , but the phone is only 1 of the extra hurdles , and every hurdle will send more and more people away ( or rather not come) .

Same like , Phuket sandbox , ok i can agree on it , , start checking things out , transfer from BKK not possible , have to be direct inbound flight ...  Samui possible but with max time in BKK 4h , checking with my regular airline its 5h , so not possible ....

Again there are solutions for all things, but they are far from easy to figure it all out .

16 minutes ago, DBath said:

The point you keep missing here and the question you keep refusing to answer is:

What would’ve been the result had you arrived with a hardcopy COE and not had a smartphone or say, your phone had a dead battery? Would you have been turned away? Not likely…because the ‘requirement’ is not being enforced. 

I’ve no idea…  The Op asked for advice. 
Based on first hand experience my advice is do not arrive without a smartphone. 

What might happen:

A) Nothing, they let you in anyway, it was never a serious requirement. 
B) They make you charge your phone (in the out of battery scenario) 

C) They make you buy a phone (in the arrival without a smart phone scenario) 

Then, as you always seem to do, you respond with a 10-page dissertation including elements like “Phuket Sandbox” that weren’t even part of the original discussion (I guess so you can showcase your superior knowledge to everyone). 

Nothing superior - just first hand information being passed on - relevant to  both ASQ and Sandbox arrivals.

The sandbox aspect is ‘very relevant’ as that is how most are arriving now. 

I’ve never once seen you admit or apologize when you’ve been wrong. Just one more reason I usually try to avoid having conversations with you. It takes too much time and my time worth more to me. 

Perhaps not to you. I have to others when I’m mistaken. 

In this case I’ve shown proof that the Apps are a documented requirement. 

You seem to ‘want’ that not to be so. 

I’m curious, what do you do for a living? I ask because having had a long career where 16 hours a day was the average, I could never have had the time to spend the kind of time you do on this forum - writing reams of retorts spouting your pro-authoritarian views. 

I type very quickly & multitask easily !

Stating ‘Facts’ is not an authoritarian view just because you don’t like those facts.

My job is irrelevant / it’s but it affords me a lot of time off. 

You seem like an intelligent guy and all, but…just saying. 

Thanks for the compliment. 
I do enjoy debate and reading different opinions. However in this case the question is “Is the mandatory possession of a suitable smartphone really a prerequisite to entering Thailand these days?”

The answer is Yes - but you don’t think so. 

What is your First Hand experience of arriving in Thailand without a cell phone in the past 23 Months ? 

Edited by richard_smith237

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

But... You are spreading the ‘advice’ that the Smart Phone is not needed for arrival via ASQ or SandBox and this is not true. 

Having entered 2x via ASQ route (into Bangkok) I have had to show the Thailand Plus App upon arrival both times. 

Currently in the Sandbox (Phuket), I had to download and register with the Mor Chana App and have had to have my QR code scanned daily by the hotel staff. 

With the current regulations anyone entering Thailand without a smartphone risks unnecessary difficulties and hassle. 

It's better to have cheap smart phone and not need it than to arrive without and face problems. 

I think if the airlines are not required to check whether you have the app, you won't be deported if you reach Thailand, as the immigration probably needs to pay for your deportation, they won't be able to offload that to the airlines.

As it usually goes in Thailand, it depends on the IO on duty whether you are checked or not. When I went to ASQ in Bangkok they didn't check if I have any apps installed, however I needed the phone in the ASQ itself.  But probably if you arrive in the hotel without a smart phone they'll accommodate you somehow rather than returning you to the airport for deportation.

But after so much paperwork and bookings to enter Thailand it won't be a good idea to take a chance whether they will ask or not for the app at the airport.  Are you going to risk thousands worth of airfare and bookings to save on a cheap smart phone?

It was zero issue for me, as I carry minimum of 2 smart phones and always have 2-3 sim cards from different providers, but if I didn't have a smart phone I would have bought one to eliminate the potential problems.