Is the mandatory possession of a suitable smartphone really a prerequisite to entering Thailand these days?

12 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

But... You are spreading the ‘advice’ that the Smart Phone is not needed for arrival via ASQ or SandBox and this is not true. 

Having entered 2x via ASQ route (into Bangkok) I have had to show the Thailand Plus App upon arrival both times. 

Currently in the Sandbox (Phuket), I had to download and register with the Mor Chana App and have had to have my QR code scanned daily by the hotel staff. 

With the current regulations anyone entering Thailand without a smartphone risks unnecessary difficulties and hassle. 

It's better to have cheap smart phone and not need it than to arrive without and face problems. 

I wasnt asked once during the visa application, quarantine, flight or elsewhere. 

11 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I’ve no idea…  The Op asked for advice. 
Based on first hand experience my advice is do not arrive without a smartphone. 

Your advice and what is stated as required is not enforced, but you stated, "If you refuse to buy a smart phone, in effect you are refusing to the 'Terms and Conditions of Entry’ you will be held and returned on the next amiable flight."

What proof do you have of this? Do you know anyone who has been put on a plane and sent back from whence they came?

just first hand information being passed on - relevant to  both ASQ and Sandbox arrivals.

The sandbox aspect is ‘very relevant’ as that is how most are arriving now.

My original point has nothing to do with Phuket or the Sandbox. It is simply this: nobody is going to make you get on a plane and go home because you don't have a smart phone with an app loaded on it. 

I beg you to prove otherwise.

In this case I’ve shown proof that the Apps are a documented requirement. 

You seem to ‘want’ that not to be so. 

In writing yes, in practice NO. It has nothing to do with what I want, my point is it's like the requirement to ride a motorbike with a helmet - IT'S NOT ENFORCED. 

I type very quickly & multitask easily !

Stating ‘Facts’ is not an authoritarian view just because you don’t like those facts.

My job is irrelevant / it’s but it affords me a lot of time off. 

People who play the 'I multi-task easily' card are usually those who waste company time taking care of their personal business. I type slowly on my smartphone (which is rather ironic, given the topic at hand...)

The tone of your posts on this topic and others is generally what I would call 'authoritarian', IMO; and others on this thread have stated as much - it's not just my imagination. Maybe it's your sarcasm, the arrogance or snarky condescending comments that you consistently put forth. 

I wonder how many hours it takes to post just shy of 33,000 comments? Even for someone who types quickly. Take care that your superiors or an ambitious underling don't catch on one day - lest you might become redundant.

However in this case the question is “Is the mandatory possession of a suitable smartphone really a prerequisite to entering Thailand these days?”

The answer is Yes - but you don’t think so. 

What is your First Hand experience of arriving in Thailand without a cell phone in the past 23 Months ? 

Again, it's not enforced by forcing someone to buy a smartphone at the airport or by making them get on plane and return home. Prove to me otherwise, give me an example.

I arrived in Thailand on March 17, 2020 with my iPhone 11 Pro Max and recently I've migrated from there to Spain. For 20+ years prior to that I flew weekly, mostly in the US, with significant stints in China, South America and Europe (none of which has anything to do with whether or not you can prove the point I've made in the previous paragraph).

Edited by DBath
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, DBath said:

19 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

However in this case the question is “Is the mandatory possession of a suitable smartphone really a prerequisite to entering Thailand these days?”

What is your First Hand experience of arriving in Thailand without a cell phone in the past 23 Months ? 

Again, it's not enforced by forcing someone to buy a smartphone at the airport or by making them get on plane and return home.

Prove to me otherwise, give me an example.

He can't. Psych 101.

Weak people who can't cogently offer proof of their claims deflect by pushing their agendas on others due to the stress resulting from those in authority pushing theirs on them, and their folding under the pressure. Easier to fold and believe corrupt politicians and "experts", than to stand up and do time-consuming research.

Conforming quickly relieves the feeling of weakness from folding under pressure. Trying to coerce others into their fold (as in sheep) reinforces, in their minds, that their choice to conform was the right one and they are the virtuous ones.

Won't work to argue with such people. Numerous posters here, including myself, have related how we came in country no problem without a phone. I'm doing it again on Oct. 15th. 

Hard times create strong men,
Strong men create good times,
Good times create weak men,
Weak men create hard times.

And so, here we are, at the end of the cycle.....thankfully there are still some strong men to be found, DBath

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DBath said:

I’ve no idea…  The Op asked for advice. 
Based on first hand experience my advice is do not arrive without a smartphone. 

Your advice and what is stated as required is not enforced, but you stated, "If you refuse to buy a smart phone, in effect you are refusing to the 'Terms and Conditions of Entry’ you will be held and returned on the next amiable flight."

What proof do you have of this? Do you know anyone who has been put on a plane and sent back from whence they came?

Valid point...  A misplaced word: I should have written "If someone refuses to enter Thailand with a smart phone in effect they are refusing to the 'Terms and Conditions of Entry’ and could be refused entry"

Immigration have refused entry to people for some extremely minor reasons.

1 hour ago, DBath said:

just first hand information being passed on - relevant to  both ASQ and Sandbox arrivals.

The sandbox aspect is ‘very relevant’ as that is how most are arriving now.

My original point has nothing to do with Phuket or the Sandbox. It is simply this: nobody is going to make you get on a plane and go home because you don't have a smart phone with an app loaded on it. 

I beg you to prove otherwise.

Immigration have made people get on a plane and go home because they don’t have 20,000 Baht (when there are ATM’s at the arrivals hall). 

Immigration have made people get on a plane and go home because they don’t have an onward flight.

Immigration have made people get on a plane and go home because the Immigration officer doesn’t believe they are not working in Thailand. 

Immigration have made people get one a plane and go home because they have entered too many times on visa-exempt over the past 12 months. 

(you may want to disagree with any or all of the points above, but threads outlining such have run on this forum - the threads always include the comment from some disbelieving soul  ‘how were you dressed ?’ !!)

The whole discussion surrounds arrival under CoE conditions (Sandbox or ASQ) where there is a stated requirement that arriving passengers have the Applications downloaded. 

The sensible advice is to meet the requirements - you still want to argue against this, even if you don’t like what I say - I don’t understand why someone intelligent does not recognise sage advice to ensure all requirements are met. 

1 hour ago, DBath said:

In this case I’ve shown proof that the Apps are a documented requirement. 

You seem to ‘want’ that not to be so. 

In writing yes, in practice NO. It has nothing to do with what I want, my point is it's like the requirement to ride a motorbike with a helmet - IT'S NOT ENFORCED. 

No one has received a fine for not wearing their helmet ??  - flawed strawman argument. 

Helmet laws are intermittently enforced - I wouldn’t advise anyone not to wear a helmet either because ’some (many) get away with it’ (the safety aspect is of course another facet beyond the point). 

1 hour ago, DBath said:

I type very quickly & multitask easily !

Stating ‘Facts’ is not an authoritarian view just because you don’t like those facts.

My job is irrelevant / it’s but it affords me a lot of time off. 

Expand  

People who play the 'I multi-task easily' card are usually those who waste company time taking care of their personal business. I type slowly on my smartphone (which is rather ironic, given the topic at hand...)

The tone of your posts on this topic and others is generally what I would call 'authoritarian', IMO; and others on this thread have stated as much - it's not just my imagination. Maybe it's your sarcasm, the arrogance or snarky condescending comments that you consistently put forth. 

I wonder how many hours it takes to post just shy of 33,000 comments? Even for someone who types quickly. Take care that your superiors or an ambitious underling don't catch on one day - lest you might become redundant.

Immature dig - irrelevant and ignored. 

1 hour ago, DBath said:

Expand  

Again, it's not enforced by forcing someone to buy a smartphone at the airport or by making them get on plane and return home. Prove to me otherwise, give me an example.

Has anyone entered without a smart phone and the required Apps? a couple of guys have reported that they did not have to show their App upon entry. Experience obviously varies from who does the checks. 

Has anyone been asked for their Smartphone and downloaded App and not been able to show it ?

You are asking for an example of something which may not have taken place because everyone, or at least most, are meeting the regulations.

1 hour ago, DBath said:

I arrived in Thailand on March 17, 2020 with my iPhone 11 Pro Max and recently I've migrated from there to Spain. For 20+ years prior to that I flew weekly, mostly in the US, with significant stints in China, South America and Europe (none of which has anything to do with whether or not you can prove the point I've made in the previous paragraph).

You haven’t flown into Thailand while it is under Under Emergency Degree. 

You’ve never been asked to show the downloaded Apps - no first hand information yet you are suggesting it doesn’t matter if someone has a smart phone or not. 

In the UK in July 2020, at check-in I was asked to show the App,  people were sent away and told to download the App. I’m not sure what would have happened without a smart phone and no App downloaded, but its possible travel would have been rejected. At the very least, life would become very awkward for a short period.

Just last week I was nearly refused travel at check-in because my insurance Certificate looked too much like a letter and not like the certificate they are used to. 

Upon arrival in Thailand, we’re already here. But it takes one moody immigration officer to take a disliking to us and if all our t’s are not crossed and i’s not dotted life can become quite awkward. 

Again: Advice, cover all bases, bring a smart phone ! Apologies if you find that ‘authoritarian or arrogant' - Snarky and condescending are deliberate as your argument is tiresome - it seems you want to spread the message that it doesn’t matter if an arriving passenger cannot show they have downloaded the App on a smart phone’ - the fact its it ‘could’ matter, and matter at the most inconvenient of moments - Something which any traveller will want to avoid after a long flight. 

1 hour ago, HeijoshinCool said:

Won't work to argue with such people. Numerous posters here, including myself, have related how we came in country no problem without a phone. I'm doing it again on Oct. 15th.

Interesting - You have entered Thailand under the Emergency Degree and entered Quarantine (ASQ) and were asked to show your downloaded Thailand Plus app and they didn’t mind that you had no SmartPhone ???

Or, you were simply not asked at all ?

5 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Interesting - You have entered Thailand under the Emergency Degree and entered Quarantine (ASQ) and were asked to show your downloaded Thailand Plus app and they didn’t mind that you had no SmartPhone ???

Or, you were simply not asked at all ?

Not asked at all. December 25th, last year

ASQ didn't mind, either.

Aww... poor you... crying a smart phone is ‘hard times’ !!! ....  ???? ... really ??? 

It's just a smart phone and an App....  its not as if we are conforming with the onset of some dystopian Orwellian evolution into governmental control.

I know the ‘haters’ want this to be the thin-end-of-the-wedge, but really, its just an App on a Smart Phone.

Bring the phone, avoid potential hassles.... it’s not difficult. 

8 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Aww... poor you... crying a smart phone is ‘hard times’ !!! ....  ???? ... really ??? 

Reading comprehension is not your strong suit, huh?

Not asked at all. December 25th, last year

ASQ didn't mind, either.

I don't think it was required at that time. The Android version of the ThailandPlus app was released December 2020.

The ASQ cannot demand the use of a mobile device, and they cannot send you back if you do not have one. Immigration can do both.

I arrived March 2021, the guy before me had a problem with the app, the immigration officer used a lot of time with his phone. I don't know what the result was as I got through with no problem just showing the app on my phone.

On 9/7/2021 at 10:04 AM, Denim said:

After reading that anyone would be forgiven for forsaking a leg over for the simpler to access Bognor Regis.

If they think the tourist industry is going to bounce back enforcing such stuff they are mistaken. This addiction to apps and smartphones is just going to put a lot of people off in favor of other destinations.

Especially when immigration's own websites for evisas and COEs are so bad and user unfriendly, and they have done nothing to improve the former, which is absolutely atrocious, since it was forced upon anyone wanting a visa to visit Thailand 2 or 3 years ago now.

Edited by SunsetT

On 9/7/2021 at 10:32 AM, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

Apps are Dominant and will replace Internet soon.

Carry an IPhone7 (cheap high std smartphone) & IPAD 3. Both Apple IOS of course.

Interchangeable with Same Apps & Same ICloud Personal Data.

Smartphones MUST be small to fit comfortably in shirt pocket or front jeans pocket.

Just will not primarily use those tiny hackable smartphones for banking, movies, books, internet or MS Office work. I will also NOT carry the Android Brick Smartphones ! 

Use IPAD for those activities. IPhone & IPAD are Back Ups for each other; same IOS operation/ data.

Funny that I have NEVER seen anyone else using an IPAD in Public ! In five years of IPAD Use ! 

Only Smartphones and/or Laptops……..

Use Laptop or PC Only in actual offices…….

DO people really do Excel Spreadsheets on Smartphones ? Seriously ?

Oh dear. 

You're one of those. 

Poltergeist: Tangina's Monologue - YouTube

8 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Go to a couple of phone shops, with your pocket, and look at them, tell the staff what you're looking for.  My Huawei P20 fits into my pocket, as did my previous P9.

The phones are all roughly the same size, it's the pockets which will differ.

10 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

The phones are all roughly the same size, it's the pockets which will differ.

Generally you buy cover with clips on them which hold them onto your belt ( for those of us who wear a belt)

• Confused 1