Are expats being tempted by Thailand?

webfact

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

No, they care, they just do not have a choice. When you have traveled overseas, and seen that 10,000 baht bottle available in LA, NY, or London for $55, you tend to be annoyed and abused by onerous taxation by fools. But, what are the other options, if you like good wine?

It is just one more nail in the tourism coffin of rich tourist dreaming, on the part of the comedy organization called the TAT. 

I always return to Thailand with a few bottles of Napa or Sonoma Valley wines. You’re allowed one bottle anyway.

Nearly every friend I have in the US is single. Why? Because for a man in the US, who is past the age of 50, unless he is willing to get with a woman at least his age, his prospects are dim for finding love, or companionship. Some guys like me, simply prefer younger women. Not kids, but women who are 10, 15, even 20 or 25 years younger than us. For a dozen very valid reasons. I could break them down, but why bother? The PC crew will jump on this and say it is not right. You should not be able to have this kind of life, without jumping over ridiculous hurdles! Means nothing to me. I do not do PC.

Why be with a woman our age, if we do not need to? Nothing wrong with it, if it works for you.

But It is virtually impossible for a 60 year old man in the US, Canada, the UK, most of Europe, OZ, or NZ, to hook up with a 36 year old woman, unless she is very fat or very ugly, or he is a centi millionaire, or is famous. Period. It just does not happen in this day and age.

Here it is possible. Granted he will likely get with a woman of lesser means, who needs a guy who can provide some financial stability. So what? Who cares? Most women want financial stability anywhere in the world, whether they admit it or not. The difference is here the women are more honest about their financial needs and desires. I know a lot of men who have engaged in relationships with lovely, kind, supportive, humorous, and sexy women here, who are no longer lonely. We have very good lives. Fulfilling lives. Lives we could never dream of having back in the US, Oz, NZ, UK, Canada, or Scandinavia.

SAM_2359.JPG

I don't disagree with your post, although I'd say my experience is a bit different.  Nearly all the folks I know back in the US remain married to their first spouse, who is about the same age.  Largely these folks are my former classmates, and they are mostly men, although a couple are women.  The marriages seem to work.

I agree that people should marry whom they choose. Age shouldn't be a factor.  In Thailand, many of the long-term expat folks I know are married to younger Thais.  The marriages also seem to work.

You stated: "But It is virtually impossible for a 60 year old man in the US, Canada, the UK, most of Europe, OZ, or NZ, to hook up with a 36 year old woman, unless she is very fat or very ugly, or he is a centi millionaire, or is famous. Period. It just does not happen in this day and age."  This would seem to be true. 

But flipping your statement on its head, it's probably at least equally impossible for a 60 year old woman to hook up with a 36 year old man in the US, Canada, the UK, etc.  Although I've seen this happen in the emerging world (SE Asia, Africa, India). 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Misty said:

I don't disagree with your post, although I'd say my experience is a bit different.  Nearly all the folks I know back in the US remain married to their first spouse, who is about the same age.  Largely these folks are my former classmates, and they are mostly men, although a couple are women.  The marriages seem to work.

I agree that people should marry whom they choose. Age shouldn't be a factor.  In Thailand, many of the long-term expat folks I know are married to younger Thais.  The marriages also seem to work.

You stated: "But It is virtually impossible for a 60 year old man in the US, Canada, the UK, most of Europe, OZ, or NZ, to hook up with a 36 year old woman, unless she is very fat or very ugly, or he is a centi millionaire, or is famous. Period. It just does not happen in this day and age."  This would seem to be true. 

But flipping your statement on its head, it's probably at least equally impossible for a 60 year old woman to hook up with a 36 year old man in the US, Canada, the UK, etc.  Although I've seen this happen in the emerging world (SE Asia, Africa, India). 

It's a question of money and opportunity isn't it, if you look at Bezos, Gates, etc, once the woman gets older they switch to a younger model. Statistically over 50% of marriages in the US do not work.

4 minutes ago, Tanomazu said:

It's a question of money and opportunity isn't it, if you look at Bezos, Gates, etc, once the woman gets older they switch to a younger model. Statistically over 50% of marriages in the US do not work.

Correct, it does seem to be a question of money.  Although in Bezos & Gates situations, who initiated the divorce?  And was it about money, I wonder.

50% of marriages in the US do not work, yet only 41% of first-time marriages do not work.  Which means, 59% of first-time marriages do work.  So the majority of Americans stay with their first spouse.  Surprising, no?

13 minutes ago, Misty said:

Before I came to Thailand, I was thrust into the dating game after a divorce that removed half of my savings.  Dated some women in my age group—mid fifties.  Then got lucky and dated an attractive 34-year old.  Such a difference.  She finally dumped me (her mom thought I was too old).  Walk into any dating bar in America in your fifties—you become invisible.

Fast forward to Thailand ten years later—got the dream girl.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, NanaSomchai said:

F L O R I D A /thread

Sadly, at present, we Brits cannot go to USA either. Despite being vaccinated, USA regards us as unclean too!

I had planned to go to Austin (for the music) last year, then this. ????

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Isaan sailor said:

I always return to Thailand with a few bottles of Napa or Sonoma Valley wines. You’re allowed one bottle anyway.

I prefer to bring in a few bottled of high end tequila. Lasts a long time. And I can make a variety of nice cocktails, or just sip it. Gorgeous stuff. 

20210802_134841.jpg

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Misty said:

Correct, it does seem to be a question of money.  Although in Bezos & Gates situations, who initiated the divorce?  And was it about money, I wonder.

50% of marriages in the US do not work, yet only 41% of first-time marriages do not work.  Which means, 59% of first-time marriages do work.  So the majority of Americans stay with their first spouse.  Surprising, no?

In Gates' case it was Melinda. Not sure about Bezos. In both cases the advanced years and declining sexual attraction most likely led their husbands, who had plenty of opportunity to sexual infidelity. If you look at Brigitte Bardot or Pamela Anderson, even the greatest sex symbols decline physically to an extent that no man would willingly chose to be with her if he could be with a younger and attractive woman. It was not about money.

Actually the 50% of marriages fail was indeed only applicable to people who married in the 70s in America, 48% got divorced. Apparently the numbers are falling and more recent stats say 16.7 per 1,000, in 2016 divorced. For the ‘first divorce rate,’ or the number of marriages that ended in divorce per 1,000 first marriages for women 18 and older, the figuer was 15.4 in 2016, according to research by the National Center for Family and Marriage Research at the Bowling Green State University. So yes, marginally lower.

As an overall, if you follow marriages over time, the figure is still 45%.

https://www.fatherly.com/love-money/what-is-divorce-rate-america/

Of course a cynic might say that divorce rates are falling because the number of marriages are falling.

8 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Of course, as the old adage goes, I have to spend a bit of money on them here, and usually I want to. 

Now I have not been to the UK for a couple of years now, but there is a plague of obesity that makes a lot of them repugnant to me... that was my recollection. I would also expect a far better attitude and service level in Thailand. Not being there in the UK, perhaps I get it wrong, but generally even attitudes to elderly men would hardly support a pretty girl on each side of me enjoying myself in the local Wetherspoons. Not many Go-Go bars in my home town, maybe a lap dance joint, no touch place, designed to empty your bank account. 

Oh it's definitely absolutely nothing like Thailand, obviously and none of what you mention is available,  but there are "ways and means" that make having fun possible, all of which are well :offtopic2: for this forum.

Were you to PM me, I'm sure I could divulge some more details, but unless you're planning to visit, I doubt it'd be of much interest!

Given a choice, I'd still be coming to Pattaya in December but it'd be the pre-Covid Pattaya I'd be looking for, and at present......... ????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rookiescot said:

So you cant name any. OK.

Owner of Pandora Jewelry lives here.

I know a fairly large group of wealthy expats here in BKK. Some multi millionaires through business. They could if they choose live anywhere in the World, but are happy here. Personally i could live practically anywhere in the World financially, but i like it here. Sure it has its faults, but it still has plenty of positives to.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Nearly every friend I have in the US is single. Why? Because for a man in the US, who is past the age of 50, unless he is willing to get with a woman at least his age, his prospects are dim for finding love, or companionship. Some guys like me, simply prefer younger women. Not kids, but women who are 10, 15, even 20 or 25 years younger than us. For a dozen very valid reasons. I could break them down, but why bother? The PC crew will jump on this and say it is not right. You should not be able to have this kind of life, without jumping over ridiculous hurdles! Means nothing to me. I do not do PC.

Why be with a woman our age, if we do not need to? Nothing wrong with it, if it works for you.

But It is virtually impossible for a 60 year old man in the US, Canada, the UK, most of Europe, OZ, or NZ, to hook up with a 36 year old woman, unless she is very fat or very ugly, or he is a centi millionaire, or is famous. Period. It just does not happen in this day and age.

Here it is possible. Granted he will likely get with a woman of lesser means, who needs a guy who can provide some financial stability. So what? Who cares? Most women want financial stability anywhere in the world, whether they admit it or not. The difference is here the women are more honest about their financial needs and desires. I know a lot of men who have engaged in relationships with lovely, kind, supportive, humorous, and sexy women here, who are no longer lonely. We have very good lives. Fulfilling lives. Lives we could never dream of having back in the US, Oz, NZ, UK, Canada, or Scandinavia.

<snip>

Here is where I respectfully disagree with you, except for where you imply that some men like older women - there I agree.

My last several Thai "girlfriends" have been 35 plus and still 30 years younger than me!

You suggest that being single is undesirable: I disagree - I have no wish to have a permanent partner under my feet, I'm far too busy being a selfish **** so in my case  "guys just wanna have fun". 

See my avatar..."Young once juvenile forever"  and  my reply to @jacko45k above - 'nuff said! )

As regards "PC", and "Woke" I'm with you 100% - they can all stick that where the sun don't shine.

(:offtopic2: but just finished watching a Roy "Chubby" Brown VDO - about as non-PC as one can get.  Search for him if you're interested or PM me and I'll send you a link to one of his concerts)

Edited by VBF

On 9/10/2021 at 2:51 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

That's true, but when I reached the age it was difficult to get medical insurance I left. I might get free hospital treatment here, but anything before that ( GP, physio etc ) costs a heap. The NHS is the ONLY reason I'd like to live in the UK.

Similar with the US medicare. The "co-pays" and "uncovered" expenses were bankrupting me. Good care at Sirikit after my stroke ran a bit under 14,000 baht. They did not do the promised "home visit", but I staggered out under my own power, so no foul in my opinion. I figured out what had changed and what to do on my own. Wandering around Paris a couple of months later with the doc's ok.

Working on my wife's visa, so when the time comes...

Edited by Kwaibill
Typos

On 9/10/2021 at 7:39 AM, Mike Teavee said:

On balance if you're able/willing to put the money into Thailand, it's relatively straight forward to live here. 

No matter how wealthy one might be, why would any reasonable person allow themselves to be compelled to tie up any amount of their wealth for the privilege of living in a country.  There are too many other choices around the world where this kind of nonsense is not required.   People that think that just because you have a lot of money, you'll be willing to have some of it locked up probably do not have any themselves.  Easy to spend somebody else's money!

I prefer to bring in a few bottled of high end tequila. Lasts a long time. And I can make a variety of nice cocktails, or just sip it. Gorgeous stuff. 

20210802_134841.jpg

Not a bad idea—will try the good stuff next trip.  So tired of the cheap sh__.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Tanomazu said:

OK you have managed to find 2 or 3 then.

Contrast with somewhere like the Bahamas. 

List of Bahamians - Wikipedia

The rich can go anywhere. Very few of them choose Thailand.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tanomazu said:

In Gates' case it was Melinda. Not sure about Bezos. In both cases the advanced years and declining sexual attraction most likely led their husbands, who had plenty of opportunity to sexual infidelity. If you look at Brigitte Bardot or Pamela Anderson, even the greatest sex symbols decline physically to an extent that no man would willingly chose to be with her if he could be with a younger and attractive woman. It was not about money.

Actually the 50% of marriages fail was indeed only applicable to people who married in the 70s in America, 48% got divorced. Apparently the numbers are falling and more recent stats say 16.7 per 1,000, in 2016 divorced. For the ‘first divorce rate,’ or the number of marriages that ended in divorce per 1,000 first marriages for women 18 and older, the figuer was 15.4 in 2016, according to research by the National Center for Family and Marriage Research at the Bowling Green State University. So yes, marginally lower.

As an overall, if you follow marriages over time, the figure is still 45%.

https://www.fatherly.com/love-money/what-is-divorce-rate-america/

Of course a cynic might say that divorce rates are falling because the number of marriages are falling.

Well, I suppose to some degree it is personal preference.  Imho neither Gates nor Bezos are physically attractive to an extent that a woman would willingly chose to be with either of them if she could be with a younger and attractive man.  So if it's just considering physical attractiveness, being with either of them would be about the money.

Here's where the 41% first time divorce figure comes from:  https://www.divorcesource.com/blog/divorce-and-marriage-rates/#:~:text=Currently%2C in the United States%2C 41% of first,20 to 24 have the highest divorce rates.

1 hour ago, Tanomazu said:

Belinda Carlisle, net worth 14 million US$, lives in Thailand with her film producer husband Morgan Mason, 65.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-9259929/The-one-lesson-Ive-learned-life-Belinda-Carlisle-says-dont-run-youll-pay-price-later.html

Along with four other foreigners worth over $10 million, likely. 

• Like 1