Are expats being tempted by Thailand?

webfact

On 9/14/2021 at 10:39 AM, Tanomazu said:

I said there were Romanian and African crime gangs operating in Spain. That is neither racist, as it clearly refers to both white and black people, nor is it inaccurate, it is very much the case, so spare me your faux woke hysteria.

No you didn't. You said "the cities are overrun with crime, Romanians, Africans.", implying a direct link between all crime and people from those origins. Now you drop your pretence and directly talk about Romanian and African gangs, making them sound like a massive problem that should make anyone think twice about moving to Spain. And they are not, except maybe in your worldview. What you said is doubly racist because I have no doubt in my mind that you consider Romanians second-rate whites, probably like Spaniards.

The Gamberros, or youngster hooligans, are a problem in every major Spanish city, they commit petty crime and vandalise the city. Often loudmouthed and fuelled with alcohol or stronger drugs, they significantly reduce quality of life in Spain. Their numbers are bigger than elsewhere because of the massive unemployment in Spain.

No they are not. And again, not a problem, minor or major, an expat would face. There are dicy neighborhoods, but these are avoided by locals as well, just like in most Western cities.

Not at all. Ask anyone who's ever lived in the Balearic Islands, clammy and unpleasant winters are the norm. Made much worse by the fact that the quality of housing is exceptionally poor in Spain, poorer than Thailand in fact.  The houses are not built for the clammy winters and there is no airconditioning in most places for the hot summers.

I prefer my winters not cold at all. The 21.5 degrees in Chiang Mai are just about Okay. Average mean temperature in January in Palma de Mallorca is a whopping ten degrees less at 11 degrees. On climate Thailand wins hands down.

Housing poorer than in Thailand? LOL, sure. As for winters, what about the Canary Islands? You made a blanket statement about "winters in Spain" which simply was wrong. I gave you two regions where they are neither clammy nor unpleasant.

Cultural life in Thailand is far less limited than cultural life in Spain, where animal rights lunatics have succeeded not just in banning bullfights in many cities, but also limited the use of animals in popular fiestas.

Again, you must be joking. ISaying that cultural life in Spain is limited because bullfighting is falling out of favour (thankfully) actually shows how limited your concept of cultural life is. Spain has a far better cultural scene than Thailand by a mile. It may not be your speed, but that is just the truth.

Of course driving in Spain is much better than in Thailand, it is better literally everywhere else in the world, as Thais are the worst and most inconsiderate drivers this side of Africa, however, given that flights are very cheap in Thailand you're better off flying to places in Thailand anyway. That's another advantage of Thailand, Bangkok is a major travel hub in Southeast Asia, Madrid is not a major travel hub in Europe. Spanish people who want to fly to Thailand or Japan often have to go via Germany. It's a terrible inconvenience for residents in Spain.

Madrid-Barajas is the 7th busiest airport in Europe, and has great connections with most of the continent. If you want to go to Asia, sure, it's not your best bet, but that's because the Madrid airport is more focused in Central and South America, as it should be for historical, cultural and economic reasons. Barcelona’s El Prat is not far behind and has plenty of connections with Europe too.

But you're right, Spain is not for me. Principally because it lacks the dining,

Nope.

massage

Yes.

and shopping options which Thailand offers,

Only in that there are few malls. Choice, and quality is generally far better here.

because I prefer Thai culture to Spanish culture (and I like Spanish culture), because the weather is better in Thailand, and because Thailand is just more interesting than Spain.

The weather is better if you like heat and humidity all year long, granted.

And you got it right the first time. You prefer it. But your blanket statements and generalizations don't make it so.

Edited by Dalewhatdale
  • Thanks 1

On 9/14/2021 at 8:39 AM, GinBoy2 said:

I think you nailed that.

In terms of 'things to do'. My God, Spain boring, I don't think so.

Comparing what 'things to do' are available in Spain versus Thailand it doesn't even compare.

Now if you mean 'can I have sex with women a third of my age for money' as things to do, well of course Thailand will win hands down.

I'm an Hispanic American and I've been to Spain many times over my lifetime, and I can tell you I have never once been bored, whereas living in Thailand for over a decade, yep I've been bored!

The obvious question then is why you lived in LOS for a boring decade when you could have been having the time of your life in oh so exciting Spain?

Personally I was never bored in LOS.

• Like 2

tanomazu: whilst noting your quite different take on the two countries, your comments on “ pointless” Roman History and doing “any sport” in thailand are quite wrong. No civilization in SE Asia remotely, even now, approaches the Roman or Spanish Empires in terms of world class greatness, achievements, longevity & power / reach/ land held. 

Building great Temple Cities alone in parts of SE Asia is insufficient for comparable greatness.

Spain was partly occupied & civilized by Phoenicians / Carthaginians from 800 bc before Rome replaced them around 150 bc. Native Spanish Culture started in the North hundreds of years before the  Muslims were ejected completely around 1500 ad when the Great ( size / reach) Spanish Empire & Culture commenced.

Thailand has zero world class Sport except Muay Thai & Badmington. Humidity just kills Sport here……Spanish Football & Spanish Olympic Sport diversity ( Athletics, Sailing, Hockey, Horse Riding, etc.) capability is far above all SE Asia combined.Thailand has no Great Artists or Musicians or Theatre.

Thai Ancient Cities are indeed marvellous…..unlike their Modern Cities unfortunately.

• Like 1

On 9/16/2021 at 7:36 AM, Tanomazu said:

Really.

"The Policia Nacional has taken down an international pickpocketing gang which preyed on tourists in Mallorca.

A total of 34 members, all of Romanian nationality, were arrested during multiple raids across the island yesterday."

https://www.theolivepress.es/spain-news/2020/08/12/police-arrest-34-members-of-romanian-pickpocketing-gang-who-preyed-on-tourists-in-spains-mallorca/

Crime gangs with 34 members, all Romanian, not a problem. Okay. That's probably why the police arrested them then, because they're not a problem?

"Palma caught up in Romania mafia ring

SPANISH police have arrested a mafia ring of nearly 300 Romanians, two being picked up in Palma, in one of their biggest operations against foreign criminals. The network was organised by one leader, known as Iorgu I or Talanu, with several lieutenants, and operated in eight of Spain's 17 regions, the Interior Ministry said yesterday. “The crimes for which these mafia groups are accused include violent robbery, forgery and fraudulent use of credit cards, drug trafficking, falsifying documents, illegal possession of weapons, prostitution and offences against worker rights,” Interior Minister Jose Antonio Alonso told a news conference."

https://www.majorcadailybulletin.com/news/local/2013/03/23/13582/palma-caught-romania-mafia-ring.html

So organized Romanian crime gangs of THREE HUNDRED Romanians engaging in violent robbery not a problem then. Okay. That'll be why the Spanish police conducted a nationwide operation to arrest them then, because they're not a problem.

"A united nations of crime’: how Marbella became a magnet for gangsters"

The new international crime organisations have made Marbella their centre of operations. And as violence rises, the police lag far behind.

“The Costa del Sol is a kind of hub, or ‘coworking’ space, where almost every major criminal group in the world has some sort of presence,” a senior National police agent investigating organised crime told us.

The rise in lethal violence is worrying the region’s security forces. “

Last August was an especially bad month: “Eastern European gangs were breaking into homes all the time,” Álvarez-Ossorio said. “There were robberies and assaults happening constantly. We call it ‘black August’, and I think it was really a turning point.”

A resident of an upmarket suburb in Marbella, who asked not to be identified by name, said she’s afraid to leave anything of value in her home. “I wear a lot of bracelets,” the woman said, showing off each one and noting its value, each in the tens of thousands of euros. “And when I go running, I cover them up with a wrist band. I don’t leave them in the house.” Asked if she ever thinks about moving, she said: “Yes. In fact, I’m sure that’s what I’ll end up doing.”

The Costa del Sol is home to more than 100 different criminal organisations. They range from extremely powerful, tightly structured mafias, like the Serbian, Morrocan and Dutch groups, to gangs of small-time burglars.

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2021/may/20/a-united-nations-of-how-marbella-became-a-magnet-for-gangsters

It's so bad in Spain even the mafiosi themselves are scared. Of other mafiosi.

More than 100 crimininal organisations operating in Spain not a problem. Okay. Robberies and assaults happening constantly not a problem. Okay. A rise in lethal violence that is worrying even the region’s security forces, but not a problem. Okay. So many crime gangs that even the criminals themselves are scared, but not a problem. Okay. Residents wearing their jewellery to avoid it getting stolen in a break-in in their home and saying they will move away. But not a problem. Okay. Just my "worldview". Okay, genius.

Well, clearly you know Spain so well. And btw, Gamberros, youth hooligans, are a problem in Spain due to the 20% plus unemployment, they don't just stay in a neighbourhood, they have scooters and cars and go shopping where you do.

And yes, housing qaulity is a lot poorer in Spain than in Thailand, where the standard of housing in CM, BK, and Ko Samui is considerably higher than in most Spanish cities. I know, cause I lived in both.

Canary Islands? Lol, yes, winters are great there. Ideal if you like black ash beaches and being bored out of your mind.

And cultural life in Spain has been severely limited by animal rights fanatics and left wing extremists, one of the crowns in the jewel of Spanish culture, Tauromaquia, is now barely hanging on by a thread due to the prohibitions on bullfighting in many Spanish cities. As someone who grew up learning horse riding from a Rejeoneador I can tell you that it is a sad time for Spanish culture. Sure, Spain has better museums and opera than Thailand, but it does not have Buddhist monasteries, a Lantern festival, ancient Thai ruins etc.

Madrid airport is very limited, all Spaniards know this. Nobody wants to fly to Caracas, everyone wants to fly to Bangkok or Tokyo. But they often have to go to Frankfurt to fly there, because Iberia, the Spanish airline, is very poor and limited in its offering, and even if they offer flights they are wildly overpriced compared to what's on offer in Frankfurt.

Outside of Madrid, Barcelona and Valencia, in the smaller cities, btw Spain offers far less in dining options than Chiang Mai, Bangkok or Ko Samui. It's just a fact. It's mostly Spanish, which is great of course, but if you want to try a range of other cuisines, bad luck.

Choice of Shopping in Spain is better? Far from it. In Thailand you don't just get a range of malls Spain can only dream of, you also have Asia's largest market, Chatuchak (and it will be back), where you don't just get designer clothes, but unique items, where in fact the designers from Gucci go to be inspired. Shopping in Thailand is better.

And the weather in Thailand is better, btw, because in winter it is TEN degrees warmer than in most of Spain and a winter in Palma, Barcelona, Madrid or Valencia will see your furniture moulding green from the humidity which the Winter causes. It's horrible. I lived it for 8 years.

What utter tosh.

Thailand has 2 seasons, very warm and very warm with high humidity a la Bangkok in March or April.

Unbearable.

Why do you think many of the local expats head for the aircon malls.

In Ireland, we had a lovely spring and summer, while i have watched Thailand battered and flooded by monsoons.

Co Mayo's scenery would blow Thailand's out of the water.

Ever been to Isaan?

Flat, dull and same same.

Instead of writing your tedious essays, that nobody reads, why don't you just admit you come for the ladyboys.

• Like 2

On 9/19/2021 at 1:51 PM, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

tanomazu: whilst noting your quite different take on the two countries, your comments on “ pointless” Roman History and doing “any sport” in thailand are quite wrong. No civilization in SE Asia remotely, even now, approaches the Roman or Spanish Empires in terms of world class greatness, achievements, longevity & power / reach/ land held.

Well that just shows your staggering ignorance of South East Asia's history. In fact when Angkor Wat was taking off Spain had to roll over and be colonised by Arab invaders. There was nothing even remotely comparing to Angkor Wat in Spain at the time.

It also shows your ignorance of Spanish history, the Spanish empire was not long-lived. In fact the south-east Asian Kingdom of Srivijaya was in Philippines long before the Spanish found it. They also colonised Africa long before the British.

Srivijaya, Khmer, Majapahit, Shailandra, Sukhotai, Dvaravati, Langkasuka, all these empires mean nothing to you because you're simply ignorant and uneducated. However, in fact the achievements in south-east Asia far outshine anything done in Rome or Spain.

We now know that it was in fact south-east Asians who colonised not just all of the South-east Asian archipelagos but also most of Polynesia, up to Hawaii.  Furthermore evidence is emerging that the Native American Indians may have got there not just via a land bridge, but also across the seas, namely from south-east Asia. South East Asians thus discovered Africa, North America, Hawaii and Polynesia fantastically early, far, far earlier than when the Spanish arrived, and they did so on rudimentary sea vessels in much more difficult conditions then the Spanish endured.

The achievements of South East Asians are just never recognised because they are not taught in schools and largely ignored by the west. However, empires there have been, explorations too, and in fact if it had not been for South-East Asia we would not have the corporation or Christmas as we know it today. The difference is that the South-East Asians always enriched the lands they ended up in, whereas the Europeans took from them and left them poorer. However, this is no doubt all too hard to comprehend for you.

Spain may do better in Sport today, but it was not always thus, for a long time Spain was insignificant in terms of sports, only when money poured in did Spain start to excel in sport. However, if you walk around Thailand today and see young men play foot-volleyball you can't help but think that is so much more skillful than any sport done in Spain today. Just a question of money. My point in any event was that you can play any sports you like in Thailand, which btw, now has world class golfers. Again, a question of money. Hard to concentrate on horse-riding (where btw Spain does not excel at all in modern equestrian sport) when colonial exploitation has left the countries so poor that most of the people can not afford the basics of life. And that exploitation continues today.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 9/19/2021 at 2:08 PM, Cherrytreeview said:

What utter tosh.

Thailand has 2 seasons, very warm and very warm with high humidity a la Bangkok in March or April.

Unbearable.

Why do you think many of the local expats head for the aircon malls.

In Ireland, we had a lovely spring and summer, while i have watched Thailand battered and flooded by monsoons.

Co Mayo's scenery would blow Thailand's out of the water.

Ever been to Isaan?

Flat, dull and same same.

Instead of writing your tedious essays, that nobody reads, why don't you just admit you come for the ladyboys.

County Mayo, lol, that scraggy little, moss covered, mud brown, wind beaten backwater, lol....as if it could ever compete with the beauty of a full on rain-forest in Thailand, you're clearly trolling. County Mayo is completely out of contention, nobody in their right mind would move to a place like Ireland, the whipping boy of the English.

Ever been to north Thailand mountains? The rain forests? Scenery that far surpasses anything you'd see in Ireland ten times over.

And certainly a lot warmer, thank God, than these cold backwaters in Ireland. The ice-cold winter being the price of your very short spring and summers. No thanks. Give me the consistently warm Thai weather any day.

I wouldn't touch ladyboys with a barge pole, I come to Thailand for the culture, the weather, the food, the people the shopping, all of it miles better than anything Ireland, Britain or Spain can offer.

But nice of you to comment on my post, which you obviously didn't read, 5555...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Sorry, but someone claiming the beauty of remote Thailand,  the very pretty Nan area for example, to then compare food, shopping, culture, with say London, Barcelona or Dublin, is really losing the discussion. 

Nonsense, food options are greater in Thailand, food is really miles better in Thailand than London, Dublin and even Barcelona.

Shopping is a better experience, given the abundance of high class shopping malls in Thailand, as well Asia's largest shopping market where unique items are on sale. Designers actually go to Chatuchak to be inspired by the creativity of Thais.

Culturally with Buddhism, Buddhist monasteries, Lantern festival, Flower festival, Muay Thai or even Thai Dance Thailand has offerings the UK, Ireland or Spain just do not have. As early as In 1687 the then dominant world culture, France, sent envoys to study Thai performing arts in detail, so we know that Thai stage arts were already perfected at that time and compared very favourably with even French theatre performance, let alone British, Irish or Spanish.

"n 1687, France sent the diplomat Simon de la Loubère to record all that he saw in the Siamese Kingdom and its traditions. In his account Du Royaume de Siam, La Loubère carefully observed the classic 17th century theatre of Siam, including an epic battle scene from a khon performance, and recorded what he saw in great detail"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culture_of_Thailand#Arts

Obviously in terms of natural beauty Thailand far surpasses the UK, Ireland or Spain, given the mountains, rain forests and tropical paradise islands. There's a reason people prefer to come to Thailand, rather than the UK, Ireland or Spain, pre-Covid:

"Thailand’s capital, Bangkok, edged out Paris and London as the world’s most popular city to visit, according to a survey released on Wednesday.

Bangkok was named the most-visited city for the fourth consecutive year, with about 22.8 million visitors reported in the annual rankings by MasterCard Inc."

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-thailand-tourism-idUSKCN1VP2FG

• Like 1

On 9/20/2021 at 12:08 AM, Cherrytreeview said:

In Ireland, we had a lovely spring and summer,

LOL. I had two summers in Ireland and it rained almost all the time. I could have stayed the winter, but I'd have had to be mad to do so instead of going to Thailand where it's never freezing.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Nonsense back at you.... food choices in Issarn,  Nan for example, where seafood is not so common, is limited. To even think to compare that to the varieties, quality etc  available in London is a nonsense. 

Sure, stale fish and chips, pies and chips, other stuff with chips, Maccers and every other chain restaurant known to mankind. Wonderful grub and so much better than freshly cooked fried rice with veges and a bit of chicken.

7 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Sure, stale fish and chips, pies and chips, other stuff with chips, Maccers and every other chain restaurant known to mankind. Wonderful grub and so much better than freshly cooked fried rice with veges and a bit of chicken.

Jellied eels too..... I did say it had far far superior variety. 

London has approximately 66 Michelin Star restaurants.... Nan City  has, well guess. I think fried rice and the Thai triage (broccoli, carrot and beans) and scrawny chicken feet is a 'can do better'....

This is beyond risible...

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, jacko45k said:

Jellied eels too..... I did say it had far far superior variety. 

London has approximately 66 Michelin Star restaurants.... Nan City  has, well guess. I think fried rice and the Thai triage (broccoli, carrot and beans) and scrawny chicken is a 'can do better'....

This is beyond risible...

I scorn your Michelin Star restaurants. Food all looks the same when it exits. I eat what I enjoy and doesn't require taking out a mortgage to consume.

• Sad 1

Just now, thaibeachlovers said:

I scorn your Michelin Star restaurants. Food all looks the same when it exits. I eat what I enjoy and doesn't require taking out a mortgage to consume.

Ahhh, so you have no knowledge of the subject, surprised you chose to get involved. 

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Nonsense back at you.... food choices in Issarn,  Nan for example, where seafood is not so common, is limited. To even think to compare that to the varieties, quality etc  available in London is a nonsense. 

IMO the food I ate in Thailand was healthier than what I ate in London for 10 years. It certainly made me fat and unhealthy. Fresh food without a load of sugar and chemicals has to be better for us even if it didn't come out of the ( polluted ) ocean.

25 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Who is talking about Isan? Have you not been to Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Ko Samui? Food choices that make London look decidedly second rate culinary wise. Sure you can get Thai food in London. Of the same quality as in Thailand absolutely not. Same with Yunnanese, Burmese, Lana cuisine. As for variety, Thailand has more than three times as many restaurants as the UK, namely 320,000 in 2019, whereas the UK has a mere 88,000 in the same year.

"Meanwhile, some 40 million international tourists visited the country in 2019 according to the Tourism Authority of Thailand, and Bangkok was one of the most visited cities in the world. These numbers were serviced by a highly competitive hotel and restaurant industry made up of about 320,000 restaurants"

https://guide.michelin.com/th/en/article/features/beating-covid-thailand-s-top-chefs-have-their-say

After a decline in 2009, the number of restaurants in the UK has been steadily increasing. In 2019 there were 88,130 businesses operating in the restaurant and mobile food service industry in the UK.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/298871/number-of-restaurants-in-the-united-kingdom/

37 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

One man's meat and all that?????

5 minutes ago, Tanomazu said:

Who is talking about Isan? Have you not been to Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Ko Samui?

You were actually.... 

Of course I have been to those places, multiple times....full of back-packers eating cheap food.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, jacko45k said:

You were actually.... 

Of course I have been to those places, multiple times....full of back-packers eating cheap food.

I wasn't. However, in terms of food, not only does Thailand have a far greater variety of restaurants, with 320,000 compared to the UK's 88,000, but actually the variety in categories is tremendous, you can easily find fine dining options in Thailand, not just "backpackers eating cheap food".

I've had some very fine Spanish food in Bangkok that was extremely expensive, also very expensive Chinese food (though to be fair UK has excellent Chinese restaurants)  and quite expensive Japanese food. There are many food options in Thailand.

But yes, it really shines in the reasonably priced segment, which is unbeatable in the world, and pound for pound you can't eat better anywhere in the world, except possibly Indonesia.

Even UK food critics agree:

"Chiang Mai food paradise: 'The best I've ever eaten'"

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2016/feb/24/thai-street-food-chiang-mai-tour-thailand

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tanomazu said:

However, in terms of food, not only does Thailand have a far greater variety of restaurants, with 320,000 compared to the UK's 88,000, but actually the variety in categories is tremendous, you can easily find fine dining options in Thailand, not just "backpackers eating cheap food".

I disagree.... outside of Bangkok it is a struggle and one is often limited to a deep fried fish with pickled mango draped over it.  What is on offer in rural areas is often unappetizing. I think 300,000 of the 320,000 sell pad Thai or fried rice with chicken, special menu (special prices) for farangs. Thank heavens a few good places are springing up around Pattaya now.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jacko45k said:

I disagree.... outside of Bangkok it is a struggle and one is often limited to a deep fried fish with pickled mango draped over it.  What is on offer in rural areas is often unappetizing. I think 300,000 of the 320,000 sell pad Thai or fried rice with chicken, special menu (special prices) for farangs. Thank heavens a few good places are springing up around Pattaya now.

Not really, plenty of fine dining in Chiang Mai.

• The Service 1921 Restaurant & Bar
  • David's Kitchen
  • Ginger & Kafe
  • North by Four Seasons
  • China Kitchen Shangri La

To name just the first that spring to mind.

1 minute ago, Tanomazu said:

Not really, plenty of fine dining in Chiang Mai.

• The Service 1921 Restaurant & Bar
  • David's Kitchen
  • Ginger & Kafe
  • North by Four Seasons
  • China Kitchen Shangri La

To name just the first that spring to mind.

Thanks... but not a fan of CM.... used to go for The Flower Festival some years ago. 

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

LOL. I had two summers in Ireland and it rained almost all the time. I could have stayed the winter, but I'd have had to be mad to do so instead of going to Thailand where it's never freezing.

You where unlucky. Just like the people who have had monsoon rains for the last few weeks in Thailand.

Ireland's winters are not freezing their mild. Have been for decades.

I go to Thailand when i want. Normally, during the Thai winter and spend spring and summer at home.

The climate utterances of some chip on his shoulder baiting keyboard warrior is of no interest.

12 minutes ago, Cherrytreeview said:

You where unlucky. Just like the people who have had monsoon rains for the last few weeks in Thailand.

Ireland's winters are not freezing their mild. Have been for decades.

I go to Thailand when i want. Normally, during the Thai winter and spend spring and summer at home.

The climate utterances of some chip on his shoulder baiting keyboard warrior is of no interest.

Please, who in their right mind chooses voluntarily to spend time in Ireland?

Ireland's winters are mild? It can dip as low as -17 degrees in December in Ireland! What are you smoking? -19 in January!

Edited by Tanomazu