Bangkok’s ICONSIAM Ranked Among Top Four Best Shopping Centers in World

webfact

iconsiam-696x391.jpg

By Paul Andrews

Thailand’s much acclaimed ICONSIAM urban lifestyle development project has been ranked among the four best shopping centers in the world from among 172 entries from 36 countries at the MIPIM 2021 awards event held in Cannes, France, during September 8-9, 2021.

ICONSIAM is the first Thai retail development to compete at the globally respected MIPIM Awards.

Dubbed the ‘Academy Awards’ of the property development industry, MIPIM was established in 1990 to recognise projects around the world for outstanding innovation, architecture, as well as integration and impact on the community.

Full story: https://www.huahintoday.com/thailand-news/bangkoks-iconsiam-ranked-among-top-four-best-shopping-centers-in-world/

huahintoday-logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Hua Hin Today 2021-09-14

• Like 1

angkok’s ICONSIAM Ranked Among Top Four Best Shopping Centers in World...

Yes, but what good dose it do to anyone when there are no tourists around? i know a lady who has a shop in a swanky Silom shopping complex and she says there are no one coming in as oppose to many thousands before the Covid...

• Like 1

A shopping center where majority of the tourist actually doesn't buy anything other than eat and walk around.

I say Paragon / Central World is better for tourists compared to Icon simply because the superior food court, and a supermarket where folks can buy thai goodies to bring home. 

9 hours ago, The Cipher said:

Well deserved. I've been to a lot of shopping centers and Iconsiam is definitely up there in terms of coolness. Lots of neat little features all throughout.

Shopping centres bore the backside off me, the larger they are the further I stay away...

[But I respect your freedom to do as you like].

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It is an exception mall, no doubt about that. There is some very good food up on the higher level, on a huge terrace overlooking the river. In general, I find Thai malls quite entertaining, as the crowds of stunning women top anything you would ever see in the US. There the malls are dull, dead, most are devoid of expression, and good food, and have nothing to offer. Many are really depressing. Here, they are nice, especially on a really hot day.

Having said all that, IconSiam is remote for most, and does not get alot of traffic, so the "bird watching" element is not really a factor like you have at Siam Paragon. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, fallup88 said:

A shopping center where majority of the tourist actually doesn't buy anything other than eat and walk around.

I say Paragon / Central World is better for tourists compared to Icon simply because the superior food court, and a supermarket where folks can buy thai goodies to bring home. 

I agree. Central World remains the top mall within city limits. Icon Siam is just a huge disappointment to me and reminds me of terminal 21. The japanese department store is worse than Tokyu and I assume it will meet the same fate. The flash restaurants on top floor are mostly regular chains. The food on the ground floor is abysmal.

As my wife likes to chauffeur me around I do prefer to go to Siam and Central outlets a bit outside the city. Built for Chinese, but now mostly empty there are some real bargaihs especially at Adidas and Nike stores. Even coach bags are close to US prices in case your mia noi requests one.

• Like 1

I love it. Often went to eat , and cocktails and fireworks evenings on the rooftop. Christmas, New year it’s my place. Easy to get to .Soon as I can, I’ll be back in Icon shopping, eating and enjoying myself. The architecture is fabulous and so is the setting. Certainly a plus for the other side of the river.

No doubt I reveal my lo-so-ness by saying that my first trip to MBK took my breath away. I felt that I had wandered onto the set (non-CGI) of a sci-fi film set at least fifty years in the future. No other mall had as great an impression. Well, maybe with the exception of the Mall of America, back in its heyday, and that impression was no doubt influenced by its having a Hooters in which I could hide out while family members shopped.

• Like 1

On 9/14/2021 at 5:54 AM, Rampant Rabbit said:

How do they rank in Vaccinating their  population............oh  sorry the shopping is way more  important, a  bit  like K  pop, right up there with that krap.

First comment in thread and it doesn't disappoint with its pointless negativity and nonsense.

So nothing should be reported or written about other than vaccination figures?

• Like 1

On 9/14/2021 at 6:53 AM, ezzra said:

angkok’s ICONSIAM Ranked Among Top Four Best Shopping Centers in World...

Yes, but what good dose it do to anyone when there are no tourists around? i know a lady who has a shop in a swanky Silom shopping complex and she says there are no one coming in as oppose to many thousands before the Covid...

When I first came to Thailand just after the Twin Towers came down, I spent a lot of time at the Seacon Square shopping centre, according to what I read at the time it was in the top five in the world.

On 9/14/2021 at 1:41 AM, spidermike007 said:

Having said all that, IconSiam is remote for most, and does not get alot of traffic, so the "bird watching" element is not really a factor like you have at Siam Paragon. 

Sure it is more than 1 BTS stop from your  farang sex bar hangouts, but Remote?

First time, I've ever heard a place in central bangkok be called "remote"

Edited by Time Traveller

15 hours ago, Time Traveller said:

Sure it is more than 1 BTS stop from your  farang sex bar hangouts, but Remote?

First time, I've ever heard a place in central bangkok be called "remote"

A somewhat nasty presumption, from a total stranger. Thanks. Such grace and generosity. 

Many tourists stay in the Sukhumvit area, whether they are into the bar scene, or not. It is a bit of a hike from there. Remote is a relative term. It is not just a few stops on the sky train.