I bought new phone-how do I transfer files ,photos app from old phone ?

oldcarguy

Depending on how you had your old phone set up, if you have Google or Microsoft (or Facebook etc) accounts, just log into them on your new phone. They'll do the rest, contacts, apps, messages etc etc. Some apps though, eg Line, need to be manually backed up before transfer. You can do this from within the app. Line is the only one I know that requires this. It warns you before you set up on the new phone.

The shop i brought from serviced mine, Lotus, Pattaya, they used an app to transfer files and apps, I also part exchanged my old phone (Making sure it was returned to factory settings first).

Edited by Jiggo
  • Like 2

Android has a thing in settings where you can create backups (and restore) automatically.

Personally I prefer to just do it manually by uploading any pics files and contacts to google drive myself then move them to the new phone as required from there.

If you use the app "google contacts" you can feel better in knowing your contacts won't be lost as long as you make sure your phone contacts are synced to that.

This is all basic. The thing you want to watch out for is being locked out of your google account.

This happened to me recently when I reformatted my android. Don't get rid of your old phone or wipe it until you know everything is sweet with your new phone and that the new phone is now recognised as the default device that google will send verification codes and stuff too.

Gone are the days where logging in with the correct username and password is enough. Now they lock you out for using "unrecognised" devices if you can't verify your account.

There's a number of ways to backup but that's just how I do it as I am not the kind of person to keep a phone full of data anyway so this process works for me and my small amount of files and photos

On 9/20/2021 at 7:24 PM, oldcarguy said:

I asked Mr Google and he gave me 300,000 answers but said he did not know which would work best !

ummm then he said  ask real people that have done it before.

Ask your phone. New phone give you the option to Transfer data from old to new phone. ☺️

4 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Photos and files, save to an SD card in old phone the put SD card in new phone.

Apps etc, backup old phone to google/playstore account, fire up the new phone with the same playstore email/login as the old phone, go to playstore and all your apps etc will be there

Yes, thats the best way, especially if old phone crashes.  (N.B Also back up SD card to Google...in case you have lost the old phone and SD Card!)

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

i copy photos etc to a USB stick and move to new phone. I used to use SD card and just move to new phone but you are screwed if you lose your phone

Simpler to use the Google facilities which happen to come with Google Android...

• Like 1

"Download Motorola Migrate from Google Play Store and install it on both of your old and new Motorola devices. Open the app on your new Motorola device and select the old Motorola phone as a source. Then, click on the “Start” button to start the transfer."Aug 19, 2563 

https://mobiletrans.wondershare.com/motorola/transfer-from-old-to-new-motorola.html#:~:text=Below is the step-by,button to start the transfer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you're unfamiliar with doing this kind of data transfer (sounds like you are) I would suggest you go to your local telco store (your network provider would be best - in the mall nearby is a safer bet than a small shop somewhere) and ask them to do this for you. They do this every single day, many times a day, and know exactly what to do.

On 9/26/2021 at 5:14 AM, MrJ2U said:

"Download Motorola Migrate from Google Play Store and install it on both of your old and new Motorola devices.\.......

Thanks , I  will check that out , 

the phone came from Amazon , when they had a sale earlier in the year .

I have slowly been going thru my Google Play list and downloading the apps I still use and leaving out a lot that I do not remember why I downloaded them !

I still  am not using the new phone , except on WiFi , 

Anyway thanks for your thoughts , much better than Mr Google

• Like 1