To boost or not to boost: The pros and cons of getting a third COVID shot

webfact

F4A02562-4142-4060-9A73-312B8323021D.jpg

With the government offering a free booster dose from September 24 and the paid option of the Moderna vaccine available soon, millions of Thais are thinking hard about whether or not to get a third shot.

Dr. Apisamai Srirangson, spokesperson of the Centre for COVID-19 Situation Administration (CCSA), says 3 million Thais who were double-jabbed with Sinovac’s inactivated COVID-19 vaccine between March and May will soon get an SMS about their appointment for a third jab.

“We will be giving AstraZeneca [viral-vector vaccine] as the booster,” she announced last week.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/to-boost-or-not-to-boost-the-pros-and-cons-of-getting-a-third-covid-shot/

Logo-top-.png
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Over 65 not 60 (US FDA recommendation). Plus anyone with compromised immune system.  But this refers to people who had 2 mRNA vaccines.

Frankly the term "booster" is a bit of a PR dodge when applied to people who received only Sinovac previously IMO.

... yes, the EUs ECDC advises the same, basically:

'there is no urgent need to give booster doses to fully vaccinated individuals in the general population, ”stated the ECDC. "The priority should be to vaccinate those eligible who have not yet completed their vaccination."

However, additional doses should be considered for people with severely compromised immune systems if they fail to achieve adequate vaccination protection, the Stockholm-based agency added.'

'After 9 to 12 months' comes from some countries, for the 'general population', always provided basic immunization happened with mRNA brews ...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, overherebc said:

My own thoughts are after two AZ I might try if really needed a J&J as both AZ and J&J are deactivated virus types. I'll read what I can over the next few months and decide then.

There is a good site HERE with comparison of the vaccines.

There are new types of vaccines in the pipeline for boosts, one of them gives 100 percent protection for all known variants of Covid in the preliminary phases, large phase 3 is scheduled end of this year, and if successful the vaccine will be available early to mid 2022.

• Like 1

I see no harm, but potential benefit, in getting a Moderna booster shot after having had my two AstraZeneca jabs.

I don't mind that I need to pay for it, I already did. In fact I would have preferred for that option to be available earlier this year.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

14 minutes ago, Caldera said:

I see no harm, but potential benefit, in getting a Moderna booster shot after having had my two AstraZeneca jabs.

I don't mind that I need to pay for it, I already did. In fact I would have preferred for that option to be available earlier this year.

Will those of us who received two govt paid vaccine jabs, Sino/AZ combo be allowed to receive the Moderna jabs we paid in advance for?  I see potentially benefits but I’m not sure hospitals will follow through even if we’ve paid for them.

Edited by Tracyb
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Caldera said:

Yes, my wife signed me up for and paid for what the local hospital said would be Moderna, then the government got it together and I got two free Pfizer jabs. The Moderna is tentativly scheduled for end of November, about right timing for old(er) fogey "boosting". Happy its been working out.

One of my  sisters, a retired RN and Colonel in the USAF, just got released from the hospital with Covid. She's home with oxygen because of Covid induced pneumonia, and she says its been a rough go and everybody should get jabbed. She had had one shot, so far, and was very grateful or probably wouldn't have made it.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Caldera said:

But....I see no benefit either because Moderna like Pfizer was designed to accomplish its goal thru two doses

They being mRNA are teaching your immune system to react to covid

So if that is how they were designed what would be the thinking in boosting a viral vector vaccine like AZ

which is not mRNA & instead used a spike protein to condition your immune system?

The single dose Moderna (or Pfizer for that matter) would appear to my mind to just be

a incomplete set of mRNA  instructions ...useful or useless?

Edited by meechai

20 hours ago, overherebc said:

My own thoughts are after two AZ I might try if really needed a J&J as both AZ and J&J are deactivated virus types. I'll read what I can over the next few months and decide then.

fully problem with that is j&j is not in Thailand, but a good idea if you are travelling to USA or UK, as that will get you a recognised fully jabbed vaccinated record

Edited by steve187
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, finnsk said:

The countries who have the highest level of serious expirience with Covid fight in my mind is Israel, USA and some small Europe countries, they now all are close to recommend a third booster shot to people over 60, even they have got 2 shot with high quality vax as Pfizer or Moderna.

The booster shot is also with high quality vax as Pfizer or Moderna.

I do not believe, we at this moment, can get better or more qualified informations from any other country.

The suggestion being that folks 65+ or those that might have underlying health conditions receive the added booster.

Most of these same experts are somewhat up in the air as how and when to push a booster - 

A year from first completed inoculation? 

Perhaps no boosters whatsoever? 

There are still a lot of hard questions that they don't know how to answer.

The final verdict will probably be: when in doubt, roll out the booster for everyone of the general population.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, steve187 said:

fully problem with that is j&j is not in Thailand, but a good idea if you are travelling to USA or UK, as that will get you a recognised fully jabbed vaccinated record

My thoughts as well, Im double jabbed with AZ,  a JJ would seem to be the correct 3rd choice being a viral vector. I bought a Moderna 2 days ago but could possibly give it away - unsure ( as many are ) what to do 5-6 months down the road if anything at all.........

• Like 1

3 hours ago, zzaa09 said:

The suggestion being that folks 65+ or those that might have underlying health conditions receive the added booster.

Most of these same experts are somewhat up in the air as how and when to push a booster - 

A year from first completed inoculation? 

Perhaps no boosters whatsoever? 

There are still a lot of hard questions that they don't know how to answer.

The final verdict will probably be: when in doubt, roll out the booster for everyone of the general population.

USA FDA recently decided no to general population booster, yes for people over 65 and those with compromised immune systems.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, overherebc said:

Ok they are classed as in-activated virus but they are totally different from Mrna vaccines.

They (AZ and J&J) are not inactivated virus. They are viral vector vaccines.

Sinovac & Sinopoharm are inactivated virus.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, meechai said:

But....I see no benefit either because Moderna like Pfizer was designed to accomplish its goal thru two doses

They being mRNA are teaching your immune system to react to covid

So if that is how they were designed what would be the thinking in boosting a viral vector vaccine like AZ

which is not mRNA & instead used a spike protein to condition your immune system?

The single dose Moderna (or Pfizer for that matter) would appear to my mind to just be

a incomplete set of mRNA  instructions ...useful or useless?

There are several aspects of the immune system that react to different "types" of pathogens. Several vaccines require multiple doses to offer varying degrees of protection. Influenza is one most people are familiar with, needing an annual "tune up" for best effect. My personal experience includes Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever and rabies prophylaxis, both requiring a three dose regimen at specific intervals, as I recall.

Covid 19 is also called "novel Corana" as in new. Not sure if it is known, yet, why antibody response fades with time, but it does.

Combined regimens seem to work. Canada has been using a combined Pfizer and Moderna schedule to good effect.

Moderna seems, from what I've read, to mount a slightly more robust response. As an "at risk" type I'll take all the help I can get.

Edited by Kwaibill

I suppose next year there will be demand for Pfizer and Moderna boosters shots because so many of us went abroad to get our vaccinations. I wonder what happens then. Would we have to travel to other countries again to get the boosters if Thailand really can't get any Pfizer and Moderna? 

• Like 1

Holy <deleted> - who’s driving the policy here? Certainly not the virologists.

Getting a different vaccine type (or brand) isn’t the same thing as getting a booster - it’s basically getting a whole different vaccine.

Different rations of ingredients. They probably mix without harm, but the target antigens are different, so a Moderna jab would not be a boost, but a whole different vaccine.

• Like 2