Another Great Flood looming for Thailand? Experts weigh the risks

webfact

Sukhothai-Thailand-flood_web.jpg

Sukhothai province on October 1, 2021. (Photo by Sukhothai Public Relation Office)

With the overflowing Chao Phraya flooding more provinces, Thais are worried their worst fears could soon be realized – a recurrence of the Great Flood of 2011, which claimed more than 600 lives and caused damage worth a whopping Bt1.44 trillion.

However, experts insist the natural disaster seen a decade ago will not revisit Thailand this year. The country’s economic hub – Bangkok – looks set to avoid the serious flooding that submerged businesses and neighborhoods in 2011.

“If you consider all key indicators, you will realize that Bangkok has nothing to worry about,” said Dr. Sutat Weesakul, director of the Hydro-Informatics Institute.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/another-great-flood-looming-for-thailand-experts-weigh-the-risks/

Logo-top-.png
  • Like 1
  • Sad 3

3 hours ago, webfact said:

However, experts insist the natural disaster seen a decade ago will not revisit Thailand this year.

Umm, it wasn't "natural" ..it was mismanagement by that silly woman, sister of corrupt boy at the time. BTW, back then diverting the water to rivers east and west of Bangers was to keep Paragon open for the hi-so's IMO ..and yep they'll do it again.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Not sure if it is significant , but noticed them going down Soiled NANA 2 by 2, aa Mr Noah has renewed hsi Ocean going insuraance and the ver succesful CP Chao Praya fleet is oiling its hores to paddle the deluge back

5 hours ago, webfact said:

“If you consider all key indicators, you will realize that Bangkok has nothing to worry about,” said Dr. Sutat Weesakul

If you consider all that you know about nature, you will realize that all your key indicators mean diddly squat, my dear Dr. Sutat.

I think the people in charge have screwed up by letting the reservoirs get to full to early.

There hasn't been that much rain to produce the flooding I've seen on the TV.

There was a lot more rain 3 years ago.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KhruGin said:

Umm, it wasn't "natural" ..it was mismanagement by that silly woman, sister of corrupt boy at the time. BTW, back then diverting the water to rivers east and west of Bangers was to keep Paragon open for the hi-so's IMO ..and yep they'll do it again.

I thought she inherited it from Abasit as was short time after he left. Water was on the way.

Regardless seems that there is no real attempt to manage until disaster control is needed

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, GregBow said:

I thought she inherited it from Abasit as was short time after he left. Water was on the way

Yes, but she had 3 months to avert this crisis and the solution finally was to send it my way in October ....Effect schools postponed till mid late November and still cleaning up in December. Keep Bangers dry at the expense of neighbouring provinces which as in mine would have never had a problem ....yep that silly woman tyvm, I remember it too well.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GregBow said:

I thought she inherited it from Abasit as was short time after he left. Water was on the way.

Regardless seems that there is no real attempt to manage until disaster control is needed

The predictable hand wringing and debate is as annual as the flooding somewhere in the country. 

And all the angst passes and forgotten come the months thereafter. 

Out of sight, out of mind. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, klauskunkel said:

If you consider all that you know about nature, you will realize that all your key indicators mean diddly squat, my dear Dr. Sutat.

Exactly. If you have ever had anything to do with water discharge on a large scale you know it will do something different every time.

6 hours ago, KhruGin said:

Normally , flood waters from the north would be allowed to flow to some degree through Bangkok city itself to the large pumping stations directly at the south of the city. Throughout the flooding those pumping stations were hardly used because they received no flood waters. This was because the then governor of Bangkok , the Democrat Sukhumbhand Paribatra refused to allow the sluice gates around Rangsit etc  to be opened to allow the water to flow through as per normal thus making the flooding on the city outskirts much worse. We were flooded out and had to evacuate. When we returned through the city we were surprised it was completely dry whilst out home was still flooded.

Yingluk actually ordered Sukhumbhand to open the sluice gates but he refused and she , having only just come to office , was not experienced enough to force him to do so.

He achieved his own promise of keeping Bangkok dry but at the cost of making the floods a lot worse than they needed to be. Water flows to the sea. When you prevent it from doing so , it will of course back up, and this is what happened. Dirty politics Thai style.