Thailand to introduce 500 baht tourist entry fee from Jan 1st

webfact

1pm.jpg

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Every man, woman and child who enters Thailand from January 1st will have to pay 500 baht for the privilege.

He did the math in the BBN article saying that 1 million tourists would mean 500 million baht.

I am humbled. That man is a genius. Certified.

• Haha 1

On 9/16/2021 at 10:31 AM, Mac Mickmanus said:

Why did immigration suddenly notice her after all these years?

Does someone want her "out the way" ?

How did her Husband die ?

What will happen to their business ?

Who will inherit it ?

5 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Gaining traction on some travel websites now also:

Thailand’s timing out on welcome tax

BANGKOK, 5 October 2021: The timing is out on Thailand’s announcement that it will impose an additional THB500 fee on foreigners entering the country sometime next year.

Someone has lost touch with the bellwether’s warning that travellers are fed up with the increased costs associated with a visit to Thailand. Yet it is about to add another cost, and it won’t go down well with leisure travellers keen to keep travel expenses down in the wake of Covid-19.

Thailand To Impose New Tourist Tax Next Year

The extra capital is also intended to help the country restructure its industry from mass tourism to a high-value economic model and environmentally concerned type of tourism. It’s also meant to help bankroll budget insurance offerings for foreign visitors and other development initiatives run by the government, rather than the private sector.

TAT pension plan.  

• Like 1

i think it is ok. I do not think i would charge kids but it is sure easier to count heads...really. Hate to ask for ID and age. The problem that they need to address is who, what , where, when the business get the money. I lived in Russia for 6 months. They did a similar thing. Distribution was problematic. The money went thru the political web and almost no one got the money (I mean not the right people got the money). actually, it was so 'difficult' that Putin personally got involved, selected distribution personnel (not political people or organizations), and made sure the people got the money. They DID!!!! A complete success as far as it was reported and Russian journalist are not easy pushovers.   

1 minute ago, ebean001 said:

i think it is ok. I do not think i would charge kids but it is sure easier to count heads...really. Hate to ask for ID and age. The problem that they need to address is who, what , where, when the business get the money. I lived in Russia for 6 months. They did a similar thing. Distribution was problematic. The money went thru the political web and almost no one got the money (I mean not the right people got the money). actually, it was so 'difficult' that Putin personally got involved, selected distribution personnel (not political people or organizations), and made sure the people got the money. They DID!!!! A complete success as far as it was reported and Russian journalist are not easy pushovers.   

Comparing Putin the legend to any Thai politician is useless. Long live USSR

6 hours ago, webfact said:

The money will be a fund to bail out tourism businesses hit by the pandemic. 

I own such a business and to this date, have not received any assistance what so ever in any shape or form. So does that mean i will be getting some from next year? 

• Like 1

I see many people saying this will be built into the airline tickets, OK, so what about border crossings ? And adjoining neighbors; Laos, Cambodia, Malaysia, Myanmar and the rest of ASEAN ... will ASEAN agree to these charges ? Tourist ? ONLY ... what about business people and Foriegn residents coming and going, people like myself who mainly visit from Laos for medical treatment and alike ... we already pay 1000 baht if we have entered the Country twice in one year !!!!

6 hours ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

The funny thing is that we see the 700 baht departure tax + the 300 baht entry tax now (total 1000) as something outrageously Thai... but it is quite common for different countries to have these hidden fees that most people never see and never know about... (just the names differ).  Australia has a $45AUD tax for international flights out, Canada has up to a $45 Airport Improvement Fee (depending on airport you exit from),  UK has a fee that ranges from £13 and £194 (depending on class etc.).  If it makes you happy the Thai government could just call it a 1,000baht movement fee like Australia does (and the details of what it is for are buried in the budgets). 

Agree with this but the problem is the timing. 

Tax now and get little return as there are no tourists and fewer still on a tight budget. 

1 minute ago, Antifreeze said:

Agree with this but the problem is the timing. 

Tax now and get little return as there are no tourists and fewer still on a tight budget. 

Put the tax in now and it is almost like it was always there when people start traveling again... as for now, if you are on a tight budget you are not flying right now for tourism to Thailand period... so no loss there...

• Confused 1

I think the 500 baht entry fee is the wrong way to go . Thailand has been toying on a entry fee for some time and now when there  need for tourists has never been greater  they decide . 

If they need extra income make the man in the photo redundant as that would be a definite  advantage for Thailand 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Whether or not the concept is right, the timing certainly isn't. This should not be imposed until the other myriad of entry requirements are eased.

I don't know why they don't go the whole hog and reintroduce compulsory visas for tourists but in the modern manner i.e. no embassy visits, no stamp or sticker in the passport, just all done online with a digital visa attached to the passport in the way it's done for Australia, for example. Oops, forgot; this is Thailand and the system would be down more often than not!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, tonray said:

Yep...That'll bring em in !

Especially when they are already paying 700 baht exit tax which is taken from the airlines and passed onto the Thai government, but lets that quiet.

Wonder who's fund that is going into ?

So 1,200 baht both ways or $50 AUS for the privilege, wonder when the 7% VAT charge is also moving up to 10%, soon soon, maybe to coincide with this rip off ?

Would hate to be an operator in Thailand with these clowns at the wheel.

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Every man, woman and child who enters Thailand from January 1st will have to pay 500 baht for the privilege.

Yeh yeh, I'll believe that when it happens. What he failed to say was, "Every farang man, farang woman and farang child"! 

• Like 1

No one will notice unless they do it like they did with the original 500B departure tax, paid at another window at the airport adding to the time needed to check in. It was not convenient and left a bad taste as you left the country. 

1 minute ago, inThailand said:

No one will notice unless they do it like they did with the original 500B departure tax, paid at another window at the airport adding to the time needed to check in. It was not convenient and left a bad taste as you left the country. 

I remember that, was a right pia, as one usually ran down the amount of spare baht one had at the end of a hoiday, then suddenly you have to cough up 500 baht.

9 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Especially when they are already paying 700 baht exit tax which is taken from the airlines and passed onto the Thai government, but lets that quiet.

Wonder who's fund that is going into ?

So 1,200 baht both ways or $50 AUS for the privilege, wonder when the 7% VAT charge is also moving up to 10%, soon soon, maybe to coincide with this rip off ?

Would hate to be an operator in Thailand with these clowns at the wheel.

So sorry that it is so much AUD, can't blame Thailand for the Aussie Dollar being more like the Aussie Peso...   hey, at least it is now much closer to the Aussie Movement tax of $45 for flying international.  ????

6 hours ago, Kadilo said:

In the grand scheme of things no one is going to worry about an extra 500 baht to travel. Many countries already charge a fee to enter and some also have a tourist tax added to their stay. 

Yep just back from a few weeks in austria and switzerland..3,50 swiss fr a night for the hotels and same in euros for austria.

• Like 1