Lucrative opportunities for Thailand in the alternative protein market

webfact

CCB13664-1398-4A25-B361-17DB0D756E0A.png

Soya based burger. (Photo by Tscherning)

Not so long ago, the idea of a fast-food chain famous for its “finger-licking good” fried chicken adding plant-based meat to its menu would have raised more than a few eyebrows. But that’s exactly what happened last month and the concept has proved so popular that it looks likely to continue in the future.

In August, KFC Thailand added such plant-based menu items as “chicken” pops and spicy rice to respond to the demands of the increasing number of vegetarians among us. Before that, burger chain Burger King and Sizzler restaurants also unveiled plant-based menus.

Although KFC limited the meat-free items to just a few branches and the offer expired on September 29th, hundreds of clients have already asked the chain to bring back the veggie options permanently and at all branches. Interested customers are invited to sign the petition on change.org.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/lucrative-opportunities-for-thailand-in-the-alternative-protein-market/

Logo-top-.png

4 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Why do vegetarians want artificial meat which actually looks like artificial meat? 

I know.

It has to be asked. 

I'm sure you'll never get a reasonable.

I might add that so called "alternative" proteins that the West still finds to be fashionable [even political] have been around and used for ages. 

5 hours ago, webfact said:

In August, KFC Thailand added such plant-based menu items as “chicken” pops and spicy rice to respond to the demands of the increasing number of vegetarians among us. Before that, burger chain Burger King and Sizzler restaurants also unveiled plant-based menus.

Why would they try to sell something to vegetarian that looks like a burger.

If they want a salad, dress it up like a salad.

Edited by hotchilli
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, zzaa09 said:

I know.

It has to be asked. 

I'm sure you'll never get a reasonable.

I might add that so called "alternative" proteins that the West still finds to be fashionable [even political] have been around and used for ages. 

Soy has been around forever and is a staple in many Asian recipes.  It's just not dressed up like a chicken cube with a ton of artificial flavors and other unhealthy c**p.  Some of my favorite recipes contain soy.  But I don't pretend it's something it is not. It is one of many protein sources that I enjoy. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tonray said:

I thought this was going to be about bugs...why not, easier to grow and cheaper than even plant based protein.

Thais already eat bugs.  Unlike Westerners, they don't have cultural revulsion toward insect protein in its original form.

• Like 1

I'm fine with vegetarian food, I ate loads of it when working in India and very good it was too.

What I'm not really understanding is this thing for meat free "meat".

On one hand we are being advised not to eat "highly processed" food. On the other is this stuff, plants processed to look, feel, taste approximately like meat (none of which they seem to do particularly well). How much more "highly processed" can you get?

"Vegetables are not food, food eats vegetables".

17 minutes ago, Virt said:

No One ever think of us poor meateaters and how hard is it for us to cope with veggies.

I demand broccoli that taste like bacon.

Here you have it

https://au.deliciou.com/products/bacon-seasoning-variety-pack?variant=32442372653092&currency=AUD&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=google+shopping&gclid=CjwKCAjw7--KBhAMEiwAxfpkWBbAvninJWL8BFYd_30tu33N8H7JRnBs2KbaSV-Ghk6-LucVoqsEERoCo_0QAvD_BwE

17 minutes ago, Meat Pie 47 said:

Actually bought 5 different ones of that brand, and they are not even close to taste like bacon.

I should have known better ???? 

• Like 1

Artificial meat, driverless cars, E-cigarettes, cyber sex, facebook friends, genderless non-binary self identification, a female James Bond - what's next, a female 007 with an actual cervix who identifies as a man? 

Somebody might think that the human race is struggling with reality, and the only ones who knew about it were the Wacowski brothers (of The Matrix fame), but then they became the transgender Wakowski sisters and burst my bubble.

But it's really been going all downhill since they invented the polyester shirt and instant coffee.  :coffee1:

1 minute ago, mikebell said:

I suspect it was Thais who came up with this.  I bought one with a '100% Cotton' label; it melted under a hot iron.

The age-old Thai dilemma.  Was it the shirt or the label that was fake?

On 10/6/2021 at 2:20 AM, Virt said:

Actually bought 5 different ones of that brand, and they are not even close to taste like bacon.

I should have known better ???? 

I bought a kilo of sliced pork and it tastes like?   Exactly like bacon.
Now mix in some tomatoes, green peppers, a little chili and eggs!
Voila!  One heck of a meal!

I want my meat to be meat, my vegetable to be vegetable, and none of it processed. 

You folks can eat what you wanna eat.  But the day you insist I eat only what you say I can eat?  That's the day we have a serious problem.

"But you need to do it for the Collective!"
But I'm not a communist.