Tourism push targets ‘visa on arrival’ tourists

webfact

voa.jpg

The notice posted by Phuket officials last night (Oct 4). Image: PR Phuket

By The Phuket News

PHUKET: Phuket officials have announced that people wanting to enter Thailand under the Phuket Sandbox scheme may now do so under Visa on Arrival (VOA).

The announcement was posted online last night (Oct 4), but with no extra details released. The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) has yet to announce the move through its formal channels.

The notice posted online last night was titled, “Arrival Requirements for ’Phuket Sandbox’ visitors who wish to apply for a ‘Visa on Arrival’ (VOA)”.

Planning to visit Phuket? Book your Sandbox hotel here

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/tourism-push-targets-visa-on-arrival-tourists-81613.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2021-10-05

So it's now 1,200 baht, that's 500 baht in and 700 baht out which is collected by the airlines as it's priced into the ticket and dispersed to the Thai government later on.

Then there is the Vat going up from 7% to 10%, yep, they certainly are looking to eye gouge the tourist's and that's only at the government level, what about the tuk tuk/taxi drivers and the rest.

Have already let my mates know that other destinations might be an alternative, but it's up to them, who knows if and when they come and find out what the bar fines are, e.g. 1,000 baht, they might say, you were right once again.

Yes, quality tourists ????

Edited by 4MyEgo

I'd suggest they worried about getting the schools back first. My daughter was told today on a visit to the school to pick up books it would be unlikely she would be back in school until January at the earliest.

Trying to get mass tourism running when you cannot even get your kids into school is daft.

My opinion, open both the schools and tourism for the vaccinated without silly hops now - or this is going to drag on and on , with the TAT coming up with more daft ideas and then in 6 months time realising they could have opened 6 months previously. Thailand needs to get back to normal - not keep mucking around. These tourists are going elsewhere now, and with the chinese not even on the horizon yet they need all they can get now not in 6 months

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Currently, the the visa of arrival is available for nationals of the following countries:

Bulgaria
Bhutan
China
Cyprus
Ethiopia
Fiji
Georgia
India
Kazakhstan
Malta
Mexico
Nauru
Papua New Guinea
Romania
Saudi Arabia
Taiwan
Uzbekistan
Vanuatu

VOA list.pdf

Source: https://image.mfa.go.th/mfa/0/mkKfL2iULZ/ประกาศ/Summary_of_countries_and_territories_entitled.pdf

Perhaps the availability of the VOA was suspended during the Covid period and if it is now made available again it is probably for the reason of attracting Chinese tourists.

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

Then there is the Vat going up from 7% to 10%

Far as I know VAT is not going up for another 2 years - On 24 August 2021, the Thai Cabinet approved the extension of the reduced Value Added Tax (VAT) rate of 7% for another two years to sustain the economic stability of the country. The 7% VAT rate will, therefore, continue to be applied for sales of goods, provisions of services and imports of goods from 1 October 2021 until 30 September 2023.

Has this changed recently?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, expat_4_life said:

Far as I know VAT is not going up for another 2 years - On 24 August 2021, the Thai Cabinet approved the extension of the reduced Value Added Tax (VAT) rate of 7% for another two years to sustain the economic stability of the country. The 7% VAT rate will, therefore, continue to be applied for sales of goods, provisions of services and imports of goods from 1 October 2021 until 30 September 2023.

Has this changed recently?

Nothing has changed, but it is going north on the above date.

1 hour ago, Puccini said:

Currently, the the visa of arrival is available for nationals of the following countries:

Bulgaria
Bhutan
China
Cyprus
Ethiopia
Fiji
Georgia
India
Kazakhstan
Malta
Mexico
Nauru
Papua New Guinea
Romania
Saudi Arabia
Taiwan
Uzbekistan
Vanuatu

VOA list.pdf 212.65 kB · 0 downloads

Source: https://image.mfa.go.th/mfa/0/mkKfL2iULZ/ประกาศ/Summary_of_countries_and_territories_entitled.pdf

Perhaps the availability of the VOA was suspended during the Covid period and if it is now made available again it is probably for the reason of attracting Chinese tourists.

No matter whether you qualify for VOA or not, you still have to deal with a Thai Embassy to get a COE (and all its conditions) in order to enter Thailand.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Puccini said:

Bulgaria
Bhutan
China
Cyprus
Ethiopia
Fiji
Georgia
India
Kazakhstan
Malta
Mexico
Nauru
Papua New Guinea
Romania
Saudi Arabia
Taiwan
Uzbekistan
Vanuatu

VOA list.pdf 212.65 kB · 1 download

Romania, population 19 million : daily infections the last seven days 10 - 12 K, daily deceased 150 - 200. Vaccination rate 23 %.

• Sad 1

56 minutes ago, Albert Zweistein said:

Romania, population 19 million : daily infections the last seven days 10 - 12 K, daily deceased 150 - 200. Vaccination rate 23 %.

and a member of the EU  (as is Bulgaria) since 2007.... so why are these countries treated differently?

41 minutes ago, bangon04 said:

and a member of the EU  (as is Bulgaria) since 2007.... so why are these countries treated differently?

Perhaps because the EU is not a country and a country is not the EU but you should adress your question to those who are treating them differently. BTW todays numbers ;

Infections 15,037, a new high and deceased 252.

15 hours ago, smedly said:

now getting desperate 

maybe if they hadn't schemed to gouge as much money as possible from potential tourists in the first place they wouldn't be in this situation - just pure greed dreamed up through extreme stupidity............................and it continues 

Yep.  They tried to gouge and steer business to certain places that paid who knows how much to be "qualified" to receive that business.  Just a goat rope from day 1.

• Like 2

On 10/5/2021 at 3:16 AM, RichardColeman said:

These tourists are going elsewhere now, and with the chinese not even on the horizon yet they need all they can get now not in 6 months

Tourists don't come to Thailand (except backpackers). Only bride seekers and orgy seekers come to Thailand. Unless all the places where brides and orgies available are open, not one "tourist" will visit Thailand. 

Edited by CartagenaWarlock
  • Sad 1

I guess if you have to quarantine for 2 weeks and want to stay in Thailand over a month, then the visa on

arrival may be required. Is that the reason? I thought that if you came to Thailand for only a month you did not

require any visa.

Geezer

On 10/6/2021 at 10:40 AM, Ganesh108 said:

If you have to apply for it, it's not a visa on arrival. It's a visa on application.

What happens if your "visa application" gets denied? Back on the plane?

Edited by nkg
  • Thanks 1

A good first step or removing one  hoop a tourist has to jump through, now also remover the covid insurance requirement. Looking at the daily covid data. I see that out of over 10,000 infections, only 17 were coming from outside the country, and I am not sure if all 17 were from tourists, many might have been from migrants workers. 

The insurance companies must love it. Thousands of policies, and only having to pay out an insignificant number.

How can I get some of that action ????

Edited by sirineou
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, sirineou said:

A good first step or removing one  hoop a tourist has to jump through, now also remover the covid insurance requirement. Looking at the daily covid data. I see that out of over 10,000 infections, only 17 were coming from outside the country, and I am not sure if all 17 were from tourists, many might have been from migrants workers. 

The insurance companies must love it. Thousands of policies, and only having to pay out an insignificant number.

How can I get some of that action ????

You're not wrong ????

It's a huge moneyspinner which will guarantee that this high season is a flop, while millions of Thais who used to depend on tourism income suffer.

It probably won't be until late 2022 before they ditch the insurance and the CoE.

• Sad 1