Where are older single farang women retiring in Asia?

21 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

I guess Pattaya or Phuket would be a good choice for retiring women in Thailand whilst Bali in indonesia would be a first choice for many.

It could also have a lot to do with the recent changes 1/07/2019 to the foreign residents owning property in Australia.

It is one thing to want to move and retire overseas, but if it means you paying Capital Gains Tax of 42% as a foreign resident from the very first day you purchased your property, i.e. the new legislation, the it might not look so attractive, unless your either prepared to sell up and not own property in Australia because you would also lose 1/3rd of the rental income in taxes, add to that you would continue paying water/council rates, insurance for the property, insurance on the tenant, real estate agents commission fee, advertising when the property is vacant and any vacancy fee, reletting fees etc etc and you cannot negatively gear those losses as a foreign resident, did I mention land tax, well if your lucky you might end up with 50% of your rental income to live off per year, let's not forget that 42% Capital Gains Tax bill when you sell up.

No doubt there would be ways around reducing that CGT, like moving back into the property, but that defeats the purpose because I am sure the pro-rata value wouldn't work in your favour.

The above should have an impact on a lot of Aussie's be it women or men thinking they could hang on to their property, i.e. unless they do 6 months here and 6 months back in Oz.

Just saying, retiring was never this complicated for some.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, micmichd said:

Yes of course, but elderly Farang women would never admit this. 

You think men in Thailand would admit it? Walking or even parading like proud cocks with very young women along the beaches in Pattaya before entering a condo or hotel room?

????

8 minutes ago, sawadee1947 said:

You think men in Thailand would admit it? Walking or even parading like proud cocks with very young women along the beaches in Pattaya before entering a condo or hotel room?

????

Rather not. But that's not my problem anymore. 

Once I was in Gili Trawangan (island in Indonesia), went there alone for a few days. One morning I witnessed the docking of the boat from Lombok with the new arrivals. I saw a few single girls stepping out of the boat, all right I thought, then I saw how they had not even two feet on dry  land yet and already a local boy was in their arms. I am talking girls in their 20-30s, not "older ladies".

I collected my jaw from the ground and left.

Lesson learned, now I know how the western girls might feel with all the western guys here in Thailand scooped up by the local girls (and other varieties).

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, internationalism said:

I see many female seniors on hua hin beach walking alone or small groups. 

I would think many are alone, without husbands, widows.

There are many estates for Scandinavian's, where they can feel secure and have companionship.

Some of those larger estates might have carers, a paramedic, nurse on standby. 

I have also seen social gatherings in the restaurants, with 20-30 participants, so there is a community to give support.

Sure. The old farang women are meeting at the food courts whilst their farang husbands check out soi 6, massages etc.

2 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Spiritually I was more of a Pardede man myself although I never stayed there. Always at Hotel Danau Toba. Entertainment at Casablanca. 

Where was the Pardede? I stayed in the Sputnik one night. I met a guy on the boat who knew all about the hotel Danau Toba, it was like $13 a night back in the late 90s. I went out to the Casablanca on the first night and stayed for the following week. 

17 minutes ago, recom273 said:

I went out to the Casablanca on the first night and stayed for the following week. 

???? ????

Pardede Hotel had a bar where ladies could sit. Once I was introduced to Casablanca I never went anywhere else. Almost every week I use to ride into town from the actual Danau Toba.

spacer.png

Pardede still exists, it can be found on google maps. 

On the weekends I didn't ride to Medan there was the Hotel Danau Toba International in Parapat which also had a "night club". Sometimes also went there during the week.????

Sometimes "stole" a girls (OK one girl in particular) from there to go to Sibolga. 

Happy times. 

Edited by VocalNeal

1 minute ago, DBath said:

IMO, Western women generally seem to have this air of entitlement that allows them to treat their men like SHlT and the men are expected to accept it - even coddle them for it. 

They (western women) think that’s how love was meant to be and that is how ‘real men’ should act - working themselves to the bone, serving their ‘queen’ and groveling all the way to their grave.

This the life of a simp/cuck. 

36 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

The Kenyan beaches are packed with aging, single European females, all with a toy-boy in attendance.

Good on them, I say.

Similar in places in Sth. America.

As said, good on them, I say.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DBath said:

IMO, Western women generally seem to have this air of entitlement that allows them to treat their men like SHlT and the men are expected to accept it - even coddle them for it. 

They (western women) think that’s how love was meant to be and that is how ‘real men’ should act - working themselves to the bone, serving their ‘queen’ and groveling all the way to their grave.

Wow, so judgmental, so negative.

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Do you believe men brag about they feel lonely? If you pay attention and listen when you see and meet people, you will see and understand Thailand is not a paradise for everybody. Why do think there is so many expats who are in bad shape and alcoholized here? Do you believe they having their best time in their life? At this fora, you read every day someone complaining and want to leave. Do you believe they would tell us because they failed and are lonely?

If you don't have a strong mind and have healthy interests, it is easy to loose it down here. Be it in Pattaya or countryside. 

I suggest that plenty of western men are the cause of their own not wonderful, not valid relationships/lifestyle, coming from their own deliberate actions and their attitudes.

But is this 'standard' across all of Thailand? NO, of course not.

However seems to me it's much more prevalent in places like Pattaya and Phuket. 

6 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Wow, so judgmental, so negative.

I did say generally speaking that is my opinion (still is, hasn’t changed) and based on my observations over the years. YMMV so…good for you. 

We all come from different life experiences and many other factors.

So tell me, Mr. Scorekeeper, who is really the judgmental one here?

5 minutes ago, scorecard said:

I suggest that plenty of western men are the cause of their own not wonderful, not valid relationships/lifestyle, coming from their own deliberate actions and their attitudes.

But is this 'standard' across all of Thailand? NO, of course not.

However seems to me it's much more prevalent in places like Pattaya and Phuket. 

Of course it is because of their own actions somehow one way or another, but yes living both in touristplaces and countryside, you will find the breakfest clubs and those who also have isolated themselves and more or less given up life. 

I have to admit If I did not have the freedom to go where I want, leave when I want, and do what I want, and had to stay put either in a tourist place or countryside, I would felt pretty lonely and miserable myself. But having everything I need of toys, (bikes) and a good family to trust taking care of land, home and animals we have our freedom. 

Im not going in to why people be lonely be it men or women, but if you are not in a healthy relationship, that could be one reason, and also if you want a partner, and can not find anyone, that could be another one, and if you have trouble to meet someone to care for, and you always do the same mistakes over and over, then you are in a bad loop here in Thailand. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, DBath said:

Ah yes...........the "working themselves to the bone and grovelling" bit.

This happens here as well and they have something in common. The man hasn't learnt the "magic word".

The male world is divided in to two. Those that know the magic word that leads to potential happiness.

Then there are those that don't know the magic word and will be condemned to probable misery.

1 hour ago, KarenBravo said:

Ah yes...........the "working themselves to the bone and grovelling" bit.

This happens here as well and they have something in common. The man hasn't learnt the "magic word".

The male world is divided in to two. Those that know the magic word that leads to potential happiness.

Then there are those that don't know the magic word and will be condemned to probable misery.

I'm not sure which word 'magic word' you're talking about. I was simply giving my opinion, based on my observations and other life experiences - the majority were not my own, BTW. 

That said, I am very, very happily married living here in Spain. My wife is Chinese (why do I feel I should need to add that?) and she treats me like a rock star.  I treat her the same, I guess that was ultimately my point to begin with. How it should be, regardless of whatever magic word it is you're talking about.

So, I'll forego accusing you of wrongly implying I'm one of those miserable people you referenced.

Edited by DBath
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, DBath said:

I'm not sure which word 'magic word' you're talking about. I was simply giving my opinion, based on my observations and other life experiences - the majority were not my own, BTW. 

That said, I am very, very happily married living here in Spain. My wife is Chinese (why do I feel I should need to add that?) and she treats me like a rock star.  I treat her the same, I guess that was ultimately my point to begin with. How it should be, regardless of whatever magic word it is you're talking about.

So, I'll forego accusing you of wrongly implying I'm one of those miserable people you referenced.

No where in my post do I get into specific people.

The magic word is 'No'.

5 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

How dare you, 99% of the men on aseannow.com just come for the temples and sand ????

Are you sure it’s not 9.9%? ????

Edited by DBath

18 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

No where in my post do I get into specific people.

The magic word is 'No'.

Fair enough, at least the magic word isn’t ‘Please’ or ‘Thank you’. 

Bali is a big retire destination for Australian woman, its been the subject of documentaries etc. Every time there are changes to the old age pension, the Oz news does stories about women retired in Bali.

There is even a long running series of advertisements on tv (insurance I think) that follow the romance of Rhonda who goes to Bali and meets Ketut. Taps into the Oz women meeting Bali guys.

Edited by Peterw42