Any member ever had renewal of VISA/MASTERCARD denied because of age?

I'm coming up to 77, credit card issued by Thai bank coming up for renewal end of Nov 2021.

Credit card issued 28 years ago, late payment in 28 years once or twice but only 2 or 3 days and fixed. 

Has any member ever heard of card not being renewed because of old age, either Thai bank or any bank anywhere?

Please share.

Different question, has any member used a MASTERCARD debit card to pay for something abroad?

e.g. Second/final payment for ASQ hotel Bkk:

- First payment, deposit, paid using VISA credit card issued in Thailand.

- Second/final payment, hoping I can use debit card issued by mainstream bank in Australia.

(Second payment not yet paid, waiting to see if quarantine for 7 days is cancelled.)

So anybody ever used a debit card to pay a bill in Bkk but debit card issued in another country? Was it accepted/did it work?

Please share, thanks.

Edited by scorecard

I could imagine them staying away from it at a certain age, certainly if you are also a foreigner in Thailand. Quite a high risk if they can't go after property or family easily.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Sad 2

4 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

I could imagine them staying away from it at a certain age, certainly if you are also a foreigner in Thailand. Quite a high risk if they can't go after property or family easily.

Sure, I have same thoughts.

I have a Thai Certificate of Residence (23 years) and my name is in family Tabien Baan book, bank has copies of both, but of course that's not a firm guarantee that any cc debt would be cleared. 

28 minutes ago, scorecard said:

So anybody ever used a debit card to pay a bill in Bkk but debit card issued in another country? Was it accepted/did it work?

Been a while, was year 2000 I guess, I paid everything on a US issued debit card.

Had to pay my hotel bill night by night I remember.

I don't remember any other differences from using a credit card.

Hope I understood the question.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

You could still get a debit credit card right, then you deposit like a amount of choice and you can at least use the same functionalities. That is the only thing they ever offered me here.

I have a MASTERCARD based debit card and I will transfer a large amount of funds from my main bank a/c to my debit card (same bank), so 'declined' can't be because of 'lack of funds'. 

On the other hand another option (to pay my final payment on ASQ booking (if 7 days quarantine is NOT cancelled back to 0 days), is to just transfer funds by internet banking from my Thai bank direct to the hotel. I somehow doubt any hotel would object to receiving payments (instantaneous) by bank transfer.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, cdemundo said:

Been a while, was year 2000 I guess, I paid everything on a US issued debit card.

Had to pay my hotel bill night by night I remember.

I don't remember any other differences from using a credit card.

Hope I understood the question.

Yes, you did understand, thanks for sharing.

Seems to me that debit cards are nowadays used/accepted very broadly and that usage will probably increase.

If no funds in the a/c debit card declined, no risk for the bank or the 'trader'. Whereas credit card may well be accepted but then later customer defaults on paying the credit card bill. Much more risky for the bank. 

2 hours ago, scorecard said:

Sure, I have same thoughts.

I have a Thai Certificate of Residence (23 years) and my name is in family Tabien Baan book, bank has copies of both, but of course that's not a firm guarantee that any cc debt would be cleared. 

I think the easiest way around is to have a CC with a fixed deposit amount as guarantee that way the bank will know even if you run or forgot to pay they are covered

20 hours ago, scorecard said:

I have used my visa debit card issued by a USA financial institution for just about everything here in Thailand, I have used it to pay True phone and internet, dental and medical bills at hospitals, restaurants, and online purchases on Lazada.  Seems to be accepted everywhere.  Actually easier than using my Bangkok Bank debit card as I don't have enter a pin number every time I use it.

• Like 2

A friend of mine over 65 was denied at 3 banks for either Visa or Mastercard credit cards because of his age even though he had a substantial sum in one of the banks.  Seems you have had yours for many years and been pretty good with making the payments.  I guess they would want the source and amount of your income. 

You want to renew your credit card at the age of 77. I would not renew your credit card at that age. You want the use of someone else's money instead of using your own. If you renewed your credit card at your age you could run up that much debt and then die and the bank would never be able to recover their money. No one would give you a CREDIT card at your age, a DEBIT card, yes, because with the debit card you are using your own money and not someone else's money. Why should a bank take the risk of you dying before you pay back the money. Face the facts that you are just like me, you are too old to be trusted with a credit card.

• Sad 7

1 minute ago, mikebike said:

55555... yes this!! Because no one that age has "assets" that the cc company could check. What planet r u on?

I'm on the planet called Earth, and in a country called Thailand, unlike you it appears. You are dealing with commercial enterprises like banks that are only interested in making a profit with the least expenses involved and a person at his age is classified as a risk because of his life expectancy. So what planet r u on to not know that they look at the life expectancy of the applicant.

• Sad 1

Banks will assess the risk associated with issuing credit cards to someone where the primary risk factor of absconding or defaulting is compounded by a secondary risk of the principal card holder's death. I'm sure this risk assessment system is encoded in their card management system. When issuing or re-issuing the card, there might be an age threshold which, if reached, would either flag the request or outright refuse to issue the card.

The age restriction could be overridden by perhaps talking to your bank and requesting for a collateralised card (i.e. a secured credit card).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hamus Yaigh said:

My Thai bank credit card is based on the balance in a fixed deposit account at the bank. You need a minimum 50kTHB in the fixed deposit account to get a credit card with a limit to the value of the fixed deposit account. Age doesn't come into it.

Yes, but the bank has access to your fixed deposit of at least 50k THB to cover your credit card debt if you die. That is different to what is happening to this gentleman.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

credit cards are unsecured loans based on credit rating in turn based not on health or assets but solely on past contractual loan repayments history. age may be (wrongly & illogically) “ assessed”  by banks….it wouldnt surprise me.even though older people tend to be wealthier, asset- rich,  & more reliable, than most millenials for example living paycheck to paycheck, without a pot to <deleted> in……

A 30 year old diabetic alcoholic will have a far shorter life expentancy than a 70 year old healthy guy.

• Like 1

the western world is moving and pushing to a cashless world, which means that all your money

will be electronically, which means that you will become a walking on two chip, controlled by

some distant control room. if someone does not like you or what you said on "social media" - he can

just turn off your chip and you are left with no money - death.

that is why i try to use cash and cash only.

we all must fight this nazi tyranny cards.

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

14 minutes ago, Pravda said:

Dumbest post ever.

You can be 100 years old in any other normal country and still have a credit card if your score is good.

We are talking Thailand and Thai banks and a 77 year old farang wanting to renew his CREDIT card. Dummy

• Like 1

22 hours ago, scorecard said:

I’ve always used debit cards. For most Europeans, the concept of a credit card is alien.

So yes, debit cards work fine, but of course, you can’t spend more than you have in your bank account.

As for your Thai bank, just tell them that you want to switch to a debit card, and they will gladly issue one. You can even get one with an NFC chip / PayWave, so you can do contactless payments in most supermarkets and mall shops.

The only problem I have had with a debit card was car rental (GoldCar) in Italy. They insisted we paid with credit card or bought expensive insurance, but this was just their policy, presumably their logic was that they can charge the customer for a new car on their credit card, but most would not have such balance on their debit card. In the end, it turned out to be a really scammy business, you can check them out on Trust Pilot, lots of customers complaining about unexplained charges weeks after they had returned their car, so I think this is more a sign that you should avoid any business that insist they get your credit rather than debit card.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Russell17au said:

You want to renew your credit card at the age of 77. I would not renew your credit card at that age. You want the use of someone else's money instead of using your own. If you renewed your credit card at your age you could run up that much debt and then die and the bank would never be able to recover their money. No one would give you a CREDIT card at your age, a DEBIT card, yes, because with the debit card you are using your own money and not someone else's money. Why should a bank take the risk of you dying before you pay back the money. Face the facts that you are just like me, you are too old to be trusted with a credit card.

I am sure the Banks know that young , middle aged people default

on their Credit Cards, probably more so than older people. so age

should not really come into it

regards worgeordie

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:
19 hours ago, Mavideol said:

CC with a fixed deposit amount as guarantee

2 hours ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

this is called debit card, not credit card.

debit cards will allways be very easy to get, because the bank had no risk.

credit card, defined as cards that gives you money which you might not have, are

allways harder to get.

@Mavideol is correct. You can obtain a credit card, which is secured by the collateral of a fixed term deposit account, or similar deposit.

The upper credit limit will be no higher than the sum deposited and if that sum was reduced, then so would the credit limit. It's the standard method used by banks when issuing credit cards to foreigners.

I've been offered one by Krungsri on these terms which I declined as I have no need for one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have no special knowledge but I doubt they will check your age when re-issuing an existing card.

It is probably an automated process. They don't for example check that you are still employed on cards that require proof of employment to initially obtain.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, YT3k72Em said:

I have no special knowledge but I doubt they will check your age when re-issuing an existing card.

It is probably an automated process. They don't for example check that you are still employed on cards that require proof of employment to initially obtain.

Could be the system flags people above a certain age.

My parents got a call from their bank (Europe), sometime after retirement age, the bank wanted to discontinue or reduce their line of credit, which very much seemed like they had been flagged by the system as being a higher risk for the bank, given their age and work situation.