Top lawyer takes victims to trading standards police after Covid insurer reneges on payments

webfact

2 hours ago, robblok said:

Made a wrong assessment of the risk vs payment of covid. Now they have trouble paying out as there is no money. Its possible but in my country insurance companies need to have minimum reserves and stuff like that. So its strange.

Are not Thai insurance companies under-written?

• Haha 2

I and my missus been insured by a Thai health insurance company for 15 years, it's always a long wait to get paid, usually several months go by but they always pay up. On one memorable occasion the TB injections from farang land for my missus (the TB wasn't responding to normal treatment) were so expensive ( injection every day for two weeks) that the hospital arranged for direct payment from the insurance so that we could avoid having to pay up front, worked a treat.

22 minutes ago, Emdog said:

"Representatives of the company attended the meeting to explain their actions claiming there were cash flow difficulties."

Sounds like a Ponzi scheme Thai style

So, no accountability.

Company allowed to fold. Take the money and run.

Middle manager scapegoat on the hook until the anger subsides. Given suspended sentence all is forgiven.

• Sad 1

I took out Health Insurance 5 months ago via a broker with a company whom I cannot name for obvious reasons, but if you want to have a guess at the broker name and the insurer..... "Looney" and "Toons" might give you the respective answers.

I had to go to AER about a month ago suffering from a suspected heart attack and spent a night in ICU at Bangkok Hospital on Koh Samui.

Luckily I got the all clear, but still waiting for a "Claim Decision"?????

Cost was 68,000 Thb.

When I arrived at AER maybe I should have said "What's up Doc"???

I doubt I will ever get paid!

image.png.829a34c94996fcbe778677708a345979.png

Edited by Troy Tempest

13 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Forced to sign a 100,000US$ health insurance policy (incl. Covid) with a Thai insurer

Except you're not; you are required to have US$100K coverage, up to you what company you go with.

9 minutes ago, Salerno said:

Except you're not; you are required to have US$100K coverage, up to you what company you go with.

So how would they check foreign policies in a foreign language at the airport, and I'm not talking about COEs/Thai embassies, but airport Immigration officers in a post-Covid world?

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

I'm not talking about COEs/Thai embassies, but airport Immigration officers in a post-Covid world?

I'm not into predicting the future. As it stands, there is an insurance requirement that does not have to be a Thai company.

22 hours ago, Wiggy said:

This is where the defamation law stinks. We should be entitled to know the name of the company/companies involved so that we can avoid them. More people will potentially be scammed due to this ridiculous law. 

If an insurance company refuses to pay out for a claim, which is not exactly unknown, and someone says or writes in public "I am still waiting for The Such N Such Insurance Company to pay  out for my claim", or "The Such N Such Insurance Company have informed me they have rejected my claim", how is that defamation?

It is not as if they have accused them of cheating, or warning anyone not to deal with them. So I ask again, how is that defamation?

17 hours ago, Chad3000 said:

You'd think so. Some perhaps, some circumstances, policies. Insurance is bad in US but here it's a total scam.

If any country insists on health insurance ie Thailands $100,000 scam, they should have to take full responsibility for any insurance company who tries to wangle it's way out of paying out claims.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Salerno said:

I'm not into predicting the future. As it stands, there is an insurance requirement that does not have to be a Thai company.

Maybe that's one of the ones who's insurance doesn't kick in for fourteen days, there are some that do that.

33 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Maybe that's one of the ones who's insurance doesn't kick in for fourteen days, there are some that do that.

Yes, you have to read the small print the buggers try and sneak in. But, the post I was correcting was the claim the insurance has to be via a Thai company which is false. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, possum1931 said:

If an insurance company refuses to pay out for a claim, which is not exactly unknown, and someone says or writes in public "I am still waiting for The Such N Such Insurance Company to pay  out for my claim", or "The Such N Such Insurance Company have informed me they have rejected my claim", how is that defamation?

It is not as if they have accused them of cheating, or warning anyone not to deal with them. So I ask again, how is that defamation?

I don’t know and it shouldn’t be. I guess just mentioning the name is defamation of some kind. Totally ridiculous. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1