Buying a cost effective SUV for 2022

3 hours ago, JetsetBkk said:

OK, so I've got my shortlist of SUVs to replace my 17 year old Toyota Tiger pickup:

1. Mitsubishi Pajero
  2. Honda CRV
  3. MG ZS
  4. Isuzu MU-X
  5. Toyota Fortuna
  6. Mazda CX-8
  7. Toyota Corolla Cross Hybrid
  8. Chevrolet Trailblazer Z71
  9. Hyundai Tucson
  10. Haval H6
  11. Suzuki XL7

Up to 1 1/2 million is OK.

Decisions, decisions.  ???? 

Choice depends on yor priorities. You should rank those in order: power, comfort, ride height, overall size and interior size, noise harsnhess vibration, fuel economy, diesel vs petrol vs hybrid/electric, drive in the city mainly, or take long road trips, etc. I would also consider the subaru xv/forester and replace the trailblazer with those in the list. 

When we bought our crv diesel, we also considered the pajero sport. At around that time, I drove a family members pjs on on a road trip. I liked it but found it had less space inside - putting the driver seat right back gave me just enough room to be comfortable to drive (I'm 189 cm). But in the crv I can bring the seat forward 4-6 inches and still be comfortable. I found the pjs was quite bouncy also - many upgrade the suspension on it. 

But the crv will prob have a new generation next year; and possibly hybrid.

There is also a new hrv out soon that may be worth a look. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hanuman2547 said:

I'd rather be driving one of these bad boys on the streets of Bangkok and Nakorn Nowhere but this thread isn't about me nor is it in the OP's (or mine) price range.

Mercedes-Benz G63 AMG 6x6 priced at $547K - Drive

I'd love a G-Wagon.

50% down and 100k a month over 4 years..............very tempting.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

I'd love a G-Wagon.

50% down and 100k a month over 4 years..............very tempting.

That's the cost / mortgage of a really nice house w/pool, which I'd spend a lot more time in.  And I could buy 3 MG ZS + an EV version + nice scooter w/ down payment ... ????

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

That's the cost / mortgage of a really nice house w/pool, which I'd spend a lot more time in.  And I could buy 3 MG ZS + an EV version + nice scooter w/ down payment ... ????

Yeah sorry, I don't do chinese rubbish.

29 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Yeah sorry, I don't do chinese rubbish.

Yea, you do, impossible not to.  Where do you think the chips come from that control the electronics.   Chinese made is far from rubbish.  That's why most buy Asian made / branded vehicles, no matter where assembled.  Top sellers worldwide are not USA or EU / UK branded vehicle, even in those countries.  

Except maybe Sweden, since Volvo is promoted there.

Edited by KhunLA

33 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Yea, you do, impossible not to.  Where do you think the chips come from that control the electronics.   Chinese made is far from rubbish.  That's why most buy Asian made / branded vehicles, no matter where assembled.  Top sellers worldwide are not USA or EU / UK branded vehicle, even in those countries.  

Except maybe Sweden, since Volvo is promoted there.

Ok let me dumb it down for you.

I don't do chinese rubbish vehicles.

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, DavisH said:

Wait a sec....

https://www.headlightmag.com/sales-report-compact-suv-aug-2021/

MG HS second...China China China!!

ยอดขายรวม SUV / Crossover เดือน มกราคม – สิงหาคม 2021  รวม 10,078 คัน

• อันดับ 1  Honda CR-V : 3,265 คัน
    • (ส่วนแบ่งตลาด 32.4%)
  • อันดับ 2  MG HS : 2,981 คัน
    • (ส่วนแบ่งตลาด 29.6%)
  • อันดับ 3  Subaru Forester : 1,364 คัน
    • (ส่วนแบ่งตลาด 13.5%)
  • อันดับ 4  Haval H6 HEV : 728 คัน
    • (ส่วนแบ่งตลาด 7.2%)
  • อันดับ 4  Mazda CX-8 : 610 คัน
    • (ส่วนแบ่งตลาด 6.1%)
  • อันดับ 5  Mazda CX-5 : 498 คัน
    • (ส่วนแบ่งตลาด 4.9 %)
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, JetsetBkk said:

OK, so I've got my shortlist of SUVs to replace my 17 year old Toyota Tiger pickup:

1. Mitsubishi Pajero
  2. Honda CRV
  3. MG ZS
  4. Isuzu MU-X
  5. Toyota Fortuna
  6. Mazda CX-8
  9. Hyundai Tucson
  10. Haval H6
  11. Suzuki XL7

stick em all  on a  wheel and throw a  dart am sure  all  will be  ok in  all honesty

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, guzzi850m2 said:

ยอดขายรวม SUV / Crossover เดือน มกราคม – สิงหาคม 2021  รวม 10,078 คัน

• อันดับ 1  Honda CR-V : 3,265 คัน
    • (ส่วนแบ่งตลาด 32.4%)
  • อันดับ 2  MG HS : 2,981 คัน
    • (ส่วนแบ่งตลาด 29.6%)
  • อันดับ 3  Subaru Forester : 1,364 คัน
    • (ส่วนแบ่งตลาด 13.5%)
  • อันดับ 4  Haval H6 HEV : 728 คัน
    • (ส่วนแบ่งตลาด 7.2%)
  • อันดับ 4  Mazda CX-8 : 610 คัน
    • (ส่วนแบ่งตลาด 6.1%)
  • อันดับ 5  Mazda CX-5 : 498 คัน
    • (ส่วนแบ่งตลาด 4.9 %)

Because Haval has only been on sale a couple of months!! Haval outsold cr-v by a large margin in August. I expect that trend to continue. 

• Like 1

China has some of the most skilled engineers in the world. I've no doubt about the quality of the Haval, and lets face it making a decent car is not that hard these days. I'd have no hesitation in buying the Haval if it was well-priced, drove decently, had an extensive servicing network (which it doesn't ?) and had some reasonable reviews. But my wife is a brand-snob so I doubt she'd go anywhere near one. So we have a Fortuner  - Toyota have an amazing reputation for reliability and quality in Thailand. I'm a huge fan of the Fortuner, I've driven tens of thousands of kilometres in them, but they are on the expensive side. We've done over 100,000km in ours now. It has needed nothing beyond standard servicing. 

On 10/22/2021 at 8:15 PM, JetsetBkk said:

1. Mitsubishi Pajero
  2. Honda CRV
  3. MG ZS
  4. Isuzu MU-X
  5. Toyota Fortuna
  6. Mazda CX-8
  9. Hyundai Tucson
  10. Haval H6
  11. Suzuki XL7

Nissan Terra from 1.2M?    

On 10/22/2021 at 4:45 PM, JetsetBkk said:

1. Mitsubishi Pajero
  2. Honda CRV
  3. MG ZS
  4. Isuzu MU-X
  5. Toyota Fortuna
  6. Mazda CX-8
  9. Hyundai Tucson
  10. Haval H6
  11. Suzuki XL7

I think the next question you should ask yourself is whether you prefer unibody to frame construction as it makes a big difference in handling, ride comfort and capacity.  Having rented a Fortuner for a week and owned two CRV's I can tell you that there is an immense difference in ride quality and handling.

• Like 1

On 10/20/2021 at 9:07 AM, nchuckle said:

The main problem with the otherwise good CRV is the poor engine choice. 2 Very ancient technology petrol engines long since (years ago) superseded in Western markets and a tiny 1.6 diesel,also long since discontinued elsewhere. Honda seems to ride on its reputation to dump those poor engine variants on undiscriminating Thai market. The excellent hybrid variant which I drove 4 years ago in UK still not available here! I looked at the Mazda 8 recently and have to say it looks a superior package to the CRV ,especially when those poor Honda engines are not reflected in their price.

I'm on my second CRV.  My first was a 1.5L turbo that was my wife's in the US.  Last year we bought a new DTEC AWD to replace the car we had to sell when we moved from the US.  Around town the diesel is noisier than the gas powered version we had but on the highway I'd say it's quieter.  I've never felt that the diesel lacked power and for a car it's fast enough (I ride higher performance motorcycles so IMO all cars are slow and boring).  My biggest complaint is Honda's nanny-like safety features which for me add to the stress of driving.  Second on the list would be the ECU's sluggishness to respond when asking it to accelerate quickly.  Sometimes I can almost sense the ECU doing the math to try to figure out which gear to use, throttle body openings, richness etc.  Once it decides though it will accelerate pretty quickly.  I've noticed this on every honda I've had over the past 25 years.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Sophon said:

The Terra is no longer listed on Nissan's website. Maybe they decided not to sell it in Thailand any longer (same as the X-Trail)? 

It's listed on the Thailand language version.  https://www.nissan.co.th/vehicles/new-vehicles/new-terra.html But if you click to change the language to English it disappears. 

10 hours ago, GarryP said:

It's listed on the Thailand language version.  https://www.nissan.co.th/vehicles/new-vehicles/new-terra.html But if you click to change the language to English it disappears. 

The Terra is listed on the Nissan TH site when I view in English.  Recently released an update according to Headlight Magazine: https://www.headlightmag.com/official-teaser-nissan-terra-minorchange-coming-thailand-19aug/

Another car based CUV below the OP's 1.3M budget, I neglected to mention earlier, is the Subaru Forrester. 

6 hours ago, Jitar said:

Another car based CUV below the OP's 1.3M budget, I neglected to mention earlier, is the Subaru Forrester. 

Ah yes, I've always been a fan of Subaru. The Forrester doesn't have a huge amount of power, and is CVT I think ?  I'm not sure of the specification in Thailand. In any case, it would be enough for me.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, pseudorabies said:

I'm on my second CRV.  My first was a 1.5L turbo that was my wife's in the US.  Last year we bought a new DTEC AWD to replace the car we had to sell when we moved from the US.  Around town the diesel is noisier than the gas powered version we had but on the highway I'd say it's quieter.  I've never felt that the diesel lacked power and for a car it's fast enough (I ride higher performance motorcycles so IMO all cars are slow and boring).  My biggest complaint is Honda's nanny-like safety features which for me add to the stress of driving.  Second on the list would be the ECU's sluggishness to respond when asking it to accelerate quickly.  Sometimes I can almost sense the ECU doing the math to try to figure out which gear to use, throttle body openings, richness etc.  Once it decides though it will accelerate pretty quickly.  I've noticed this on every honda I've had over the past 25 years.

You can remap it for 200HP/400NM torque. Not done i myself yet, as mine is still under warranty. I have also seen the turbo unit replaced with a single turbo from a 1.9 isuzu. That significantly increases performance also. But the crv is not a race car by any means and it's not exciting to drive. But I like it for the comfort and good ride height, and the fuel economy. There may be a a new hybrid crv next year..but that date seems to keep getting pushed back. 

• Like 1