How strict is immigration currently?

1 hour ago, elgenon said:

Does your slogan refer to women's chests? Just curious.

Guess you have to start a new thread about that subject. In this one we are talking about Immigration and how strict they enforce as well as define the meaning of their rules. No, problem. I will be happy to post about Immigration in that one. 

On 10/21/2021 at 7:19 AM, mvdf said:

If you spend 9 months in Thailand, you are not a tourist. I find it unforgivably fishy when one argues that "rogue" IOs are wrong to deny "tourists" permission to stay in the Kingdom that long (or longer) if there are serious indicators of visa abuse. They are not rogue as you shamelessly claim. They are doing their jobs as immigration officers do in your country. They have every right and mandate to assess immigration matters and make a decision based on that assessment and extant records related to the traveller. This is not "rogueness" and it is unfair to label these IOs as such.

A traveller. A tourist..A visa..Many countries offer long tourist visas. I stayed in India on a 6 month tourists visa. People with money and time like long travel experiences

15 hours ago, BritTim said:

But, many immigration officials, including some in very senior positions, disagree with the current laws. Why should they be obliged to follow those laws when they dislike them?

I was under the impression that Senior I/Os were the law ??

8 minutes ago, LoeiI said:

I was under the impression that Senior I/Os were the law ??

As a practical matter, you are not entirely wrong. However, the law as written in the Immigration Act is used a a guide unless the officials strongly disagree with the provisions.

16 minutes ago, BritTim said:

As a practical matter, you are not entirely wrong. However, the law as written in the Immigration Act is used a a guide unless the officials strongly disagree with the provisions.

Don't want to be pedantic but if the senior I/O disagrees strongly he is in fact the Law and can interprate the immigration act as he sees fit ? 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, LoeiI said:

Don't want to be pedantic but if the senior I/O disagrees strongly he is in fact the Law and can interprate the immigration act as he sees fit ? 

I am not sure if we are seeing the power of senior officials in the same way. The power of senior officials is cultural. They can ignore the law in the same way they can take bribes. This is not because they have the official power to do so. If that is the way you view things, we are of one mind on this.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, BritTim said:

I am not sure if we are seeing the power of senior officials in the same way. The power of senior officials is cultural. They can ignore the law in the same way they can take bribes. This is not because they have the official power to do so. If that is the way you view things, we are of one mind on this.

Not really sure how I view things to be honest been coming here 15+ years but only just started living here, by the sounds of your profile name you probably grew up in the same country as me where most things are pretty black and white either legal or illegal and without much leeway for interpretation, the more i see and hear things that go on here that the Thais consider normal the more i wonder whether such things are actually illegal or tolerated or as you say culturally normal, when you see millionaires actually getting away with murder in plain sight and cops on 20k a year with umpteen million quids worth of cars and houses and the Mrs just says not my problem darling what do you want for tea, maybe i shouldn't be bothered (but i am !)   

• Like 1

On 10/21/2021 at 7:08 AM, mockingbird said:

2 of them Jack????, one sitting, the other standing, and both of them pointing at the screen.

I put it down to a semi deserted airport, and a couple of bored IO's.

Probably one senior training a junior colleague, pointing out what to look for "on the job".
As you say it wasn't busy, so no big queues or wait time - all innocent.

But saying that - "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you" ????

On 10/21/2021 at 7:19 AM, mvdf said:

If you spend 9 months in Thailand, you are not a tourist. I find it unforgivably fishy when one argues that "rogue" IOs are wrong to deny "tourists" permission to stay in the Kingdom that long (or longer) if there are serious indicators of visa abuse. They are not rogue as you shamelessly claim. They are doing their jobs as immigration officers do in your country. They have every right and mandate to assess immigration matters and make a decision based on that assessment and extant records related to the traveller. This is not "rogueness" and it is unfair to label these IOs as such.

Do you write your own traffic tickets?

• Haha 1