Vaccine passport - nice to have or actually needed?

JRG23

On 10/21/2021 at 7:46 AM, Captain Monday said:

With what you have in hand now in the UK will you be able to go to eat in a pub, or enter a cinema or discotheque? Would you be able to visit a relative in Hospital? How about to board flights back to Thailand or other countries? The Thai Yellow certificate is a verified stamped document backed up with some data. It a should e recognized and accepted overseas.

What we get in the US, a joke of a scribbled paper card who knows. I needed it it to get into a NYC restaurant last week, did not have it but they accepted a copy. If it was not a major country with hundreds of millions of people nobody around the world  would accept it.

Singapore Airlines is requiring a digital version now. Some states already have and those that got vaccinated at big pharmacies will be able to get. It is slowly gain traction contrary to what some red states try to block.

9 hours ago, hioctane said:

Singapore Airlines is requiring a digital version now. Some states already have and those that got vaccinated at big pharmacies will be able to get. It is slowly gain traction contrary to what some red states try to block.

I got my Pfizers at WALMART (not a fan). Was actually impressed by their Pharmacy and mass vaccination clinics. Easy to log onto the W pharmacy site you can download a QR code. It works with the CLEAR app (travel to Hawaii and stadiums/events). it works with CommonPass. 

10 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

I got my Pfizers at WALMART (not a fan). Was actually impressed by their Pharmacy and mass vaccination clinics. Easy to log onto the W pharmacy site you can download a QR code. It works with the CLEAR app (travel to Hawaii and stadiums/events). it works with CommonPass. 

I myself, think going digital IS the better way to go all around; no doubt in my mind.…  and I think for the larger, perhaps more tech-savvy countries that IS how it will go..  but.. i also think that in the longer term, WHATEVER the system ends up being, it’s going to have to be one that ALL the member (that’s countries who recognize WHO) countries (and private players like airlines etc) agree to and can successfully adopt..
In my head it’s kind like a “lowest common denominator” thing.. 

Right now we are still at the very early stages, so i get why there are multiple formats, systems and processes to verify ones vax status.. and why there may be legal challenges to it… but i do think that sooner or later some of these issues will be addressed and hopefully one common platform that is/will be accepted by all emerges and is used. 

• Like 1

On 10/22/2021 at 2:51 AM, Speedhump said:
On 10/21/2021 at 4:39 PM, new2here said:

actually it kind of makes sense.  they basically copied the much older and established Yellow Fever booklet in terms of size, color, format etc.. so… to that end, I think it makes good sense — copy what has a proven record of success and international recognition…

Expand  

If the first book is still being used (?) I disagree. Same size/format OK (let's forget blind people), but different colour. 

If you look at the earlier post that has the Thai and WHO (International) yellow books side by side, the right-hand, WHO one is now being issued with Covid-specific vaccination pages. My WHO yellow book, issued many years ago, simply has Yellow Fever as the first listed vaccination record with the remaining pages left for 'Other Vaccinations'. When I get my second Pfizer jab next week, I will ask the GP if they can annotate my WHO yellow book as well as updating whatever they keep online and issuing whatever is required locally.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

If you look at the earlier post that has the Thai and WHO (International) yellow books side by side, the right-hand, WHO one is now being issued with Covid-specific vaccination pages. My WHO yellow book, issued many years ago, simply has Yellow Fever as the first listed vaccination record with the remaining pages left for 'Other Vaccinations'. When I get my second Pfizer jab next week, I will ask the GP if they can annotate my WHO yellow book as well as updating whatever they keep online and issuing whatever is required locally.

OK my bad, I assumed there was another yellow book issued by Thai authorities in the past for all vaccinations. So if we're talking about the WHO book (which I never saw personally) then yes they are not identical in size it seems. Still yellow though! OK, no biggie, thanks for the clarification.

6 hours ago, new2here said:

I myself, think going digital IS the better way to go all around; no doubt in my mind.…  and I think for the larger, perhaps more tech-savvy countries that IS how it will go..  but.. i also think that in the longer term, WHATEVER the system ends up being, it’s going to have to be one that ALL the member (that’s countries who recognize WHO) countries (and private players like airlines etc) agree to and can successfully adopt..
In my head it’s kind like a “lowest common denominator” thing.. 

Right now we are still at the very early stages, so i get why there are multiple formats, systems and processes to verify ones vax status.. and why there may be legal challenges to it… but i do think that sooner or later some of these issues will be addressed and hopefully one common platform that is/will be accepted by all emerges and is used. 

This is not what I am hearing in the airline/air cargo industry. Vaccine Health apps were supposed to be rolled out in January. there is little cooperation every country wants their own system and air execs are forced to go it alone hodgepodge forced to keep up with everyones changing requirements.

On 10/22/2021 at 8:59 AM, hotandsticky said:

FACT  - You don't need a yellow Covid vaccine passport for travel to Europe.

Your vaccine certificate is all that is required.

Not true, the local certification reads "Thailand National Certificate of Covid-19 Vaccination" and MIGHT be accepted, but I would not try my luck in countries like Greece or Portugal. 

So, what's your deal and reasoning in NOT getting the international certificate with WHO standards? If your statement is true, then close the WHO paperwork, at least as far as the international vaccination certificate is concerned ???? 

15 minutes ago, Sydebolle said:

Not true, the local certification reads "Thailand National Certificate of Covid-19 Vaccination" and MIGHT be accepted, but I would not try my luck in countries like Greece or Portugal. 

So, what's your deal and reasoning in NOT getting the international certificate with WHO standards? If your statement is true, then close the WHO paperwork, at least as far as the international vaccination certificate is concerned ???? 

Correct.....close it down. It was an international initiative that did not gain traction and each country did it's own thing.

You are foolish iff you think the yellow book issued by the MOPH (and sooo easy to copy in Khao San Road) is somehow more acceptable than the domestic vaccine certificate backed up by evidence on a national register via MorProhm app.

FACT  -  You don't to need a yellow vaccine passport to travel.

• Like 2

The Yellow books are all the same - old and new are they not? Just books that are more convenient to carry side by side with your real passport that is about the same size. I still have my Yellow book from 1981 that was issued in the UK and had pages for Yellow Fever and other vaccines. Even then in 1981 the Yellow fever pages were left blank and the actual Yellow Fever certificate paper was stapled into the book. I since had Yellow books from Thailand from about 20 years ago and they are much the same. Earlier this year I got a Yellow book from a clinic in Suk Soi 49 for another vaccine (not COVID).  In all cases the Yellow books are just holders of certificates, sometimes signed/ stamped and sometimes not with actual certificates stapled in.

I have not read the latest COVID yellow book in Thailand is any different. Is it?

I will just staple my existing COVID certificate into my old Yellow book, as I do find them more convenient to handle, if nothing else. If I didn't have a Yellow book I probably wouldn't bother.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

Correct.....close it down. It was an international initiative that did not gain traction and each country did it's own thing.

You are foolish iff you think the yellow book issued by the MOPH (and sooo easy to copy in Khao San Road) is somehow more acceptable than the domestic vaccine certificate backed up by evidence on a national register via MorProhm app.

FACT  -  You don't to need a yellow vaccine passport to travel.

Yeah - good luck then. What saved me was the WHO yellow certification on entry to Portugal; everything else = useless; like the MorProhm carp application which works possibly between 2.10-2.12, am that is! 

On 10/21/2021 at 4:09 PM, hotchilli said:

I get my 2nd AZ shot next Tuesday in Nakhon Pathom at a local municipal building used as a vaccine centre.

Not sure what I will get on the day as proof of double vaccinations?

I did that in Kamphaeng Phet in September and again in October. After he second shot of Pfizer I asked for a certificate of proof and they gave me an A5 sheet with the details but not stamped or signed. I took it back last Thursday and they signed and stamped it. They also told me that the yellow book would be available from this week at the main government hospital.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sydebolle said:

Yeah - good luck then. What saved me was the WHO yellow certification on entry to Portugal; everything else = useless; like the MorProhm carp application which works possibly between 2.10-2.12, am that is! 

Show me evidence of where the Portugese authorities will only allow entry to holders of yellow Covid vaccine passports from Thailand.

1 hour ago, Sydebolle said:

useless; like the MorProhm carp application which works possibly between 2.10-2.12, am that is! 

Can you rewrite this, to make it understandable.!!

11 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

Show me evidence of where the Portugese authorities will only allow entry to holders of yellow Covid vaccine passports from Thailand.

While we are waiting, Sydebolle, have a glance at these:-

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/portugal/entry-requirements

All persons entering Portugal are required to provide a negative PCR or rapid antigen test result. The PCR test should be performed within 72 hours before entry to Portugal, whereas the rapid antigen test result should be performed within 24 hours before entry.

Children under the age of 12 are exempted from the testing requirement.

It is highlighted that only rapid antigen tests approved by the European Union Health Committee are recognised.

Travellers who present a test result that is not in line with the country’s requirements must undergo testing on arrival at their own expense before entering Portugal’s territory.

Nonetheless, the authorities have highlighted that those who hold a valid EU Digital COVID-19 Certificate are not required to undergo testing. This means that as long as travellers present a vaccination or recovery certificate, they are exempt from the testing requirement.

Apart from recognising the certificate issued by EU/Schengen Area countries, it has been revealed that Portugal also accepts documents that have been issued by third countries, under reciprocal conditions

11 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

At court now - evidence. Travel there with your Thai slip and report back! 

14 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

While we are waiting, Sydebolle, have a glance at these:-

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/portugal/entry-requirements

All persons entering Portugal are required to provide a negative PCR or rapid antigen test result. The PCR test should be performed within 72 hours before entry to Portugal, whereas the rapid antigen test result should be performed within 24 hours before entry.

Children under the age of 12 are exempted from the testing requirement.

It is highlighted that only rapid antigen tests approved by the European Union Health Committee are recognised.

Travellers who present a test result that is not in line with the country’s requirements must undergo testing on arrival at their own expense before entering Portugal’s territory.

Nonetheless, the authorities have highlighted that those who hold a valid EU Digital COVID-19 Certificate are not required to undergo testing. This means that as long as travellers present a vaccination or recovery certificate, they are exempt from the testing requirement.

Apart from recognising the certificate issued by EU/Schengen Area countries, it has been revealed that Portugal also accepts documents that have been issued by third countries, under reciprocal conditions

The devil is in the details; they insisted on an EU digital certificate; the printed Thai thing was insufficient - whereas the WHO booklet, duly stamped by the hospital administering the second jab  did the trick! 

This is the op. I got the vaccine passport today. Queues at 5:30 am, submitted documents and had to come back at 3pm to get the passport. Lots of waiting around but job done. The folks who run the passport office said they’ll only be running it a couple more days.