Smart TV or not

KannikaP

3 minutes ago, Leveraged said:

I think you'd actually struggle to find a dumb TV. 

There are still some available  often at reduced prices to get rid of the "old stock"  also look at some of the no-names  

like aconatic or prismapro  they will often still have  phono connectors and VGA  to connect up older equipment, not just HDMI

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, mrfill said:

DVBT2 can use mpeg2, mpeg4, h264, h265 and others. Depends what the station is putting out.

I had a look at a few of my recordings  seems to be mpeg4 H264 for most of the Thai terrestrial channels  no I didn't  check them all

DVBT2.jpeg.94e41b81b14df2f1a99b80814f8926e4.jpeg

We got a smart tv and as soon as my wife realised that payments are required for Netflix You Tube etc etc she stopped using it as it's easier and cheaper to use her smart phone which she can take anywhere. It's now  a very dumb tv except when I accidentally connect from my smartphone so I have to be careful what I am browsing. Tried using it as a v large tablet but  it's really ponderous in comparison with a smartphone or tablet

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, tifino said:

ah but wait... since typing my response I had another look at our dumb TV (Sonig Plasma) and it does have a USB Port!! - albeit concealed by a removeable cover 

Cheaper tvs that I've looked at when I wanted a small second set tended to have a USB but not HDMI socket.

6 hours ago, KhunLA said:

the other day strolling through HomePro, for about same as we paid a couple years ago.

Sad, isn't it. I remember paying 48,000 for a 43", now costs 12,000 or thereabouts for HDMI quality. My first laptop computer here cost me 78,000 and now it costs around 10,000 for far more umph. I remember buying a digital camera with, I think, 10 megapixels for 18,000, and now it's included 'free' with my phone.

In the last month I got a 55 inch Sharp Aquos 4k smart TV from JD Central for about 13,000 delivered. Our ISP already provides an Android box but for some reason they don't allow Netflix on it and I wanted the other household members to be able to watch that without hassling me. I have a second Android box for watching sport as it requires non official software so I've tried to cover all bases. Happy with it so far and cheap as chips so my advice would be why not a Smart TV.

One thing to be aware of if you connect a Smart TV to the internet is that some of them nowadays are downloading advertisements and showing them when you're in the Menus of the TV. Apparently Samsung and LG are getting notorious for this.

Some people are now not connecting their TV to the internet and using a Roku/Apple TV/Amazon Fire device for their streaming instead of using the embedded Smart TV features on the TV.

https://digiday.com/future-of-tv/samsung-pitches-advertisers-and-streamers-on-ads-that-take-over-its-smart-tv-platform/

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Sterling said:

One thing to be aware of if you connect a Smart TV to the internet is that some of them nowadays are downloading advertisements and showing them when you're in the Menus of the TV.

That's a good  reason to use a "host file"  on your router  or a "Pi-hole"

another thing to look out for is the remote controls that listen to voice commands and TV's that have a built in webcam  !!!  :w00t:

Smart or not smart TV, but what about quality (HD, 4K, etc)? 
If I watch movies I would prefer the best screen quality, and I think it is only smart TV that gives you top screen quality. 

i have Nvidea Shield Pro and Apple TV, but I would never consider anything but a smart TV should I buy TV today.

We have a 55" in the lounge, it's a smart TV but I also have an iptv box attached, I watched Dune the other night, waiting for the latest 007 movie to become available in HD, all my favourite shows & movies saved to favourites, we have fibre optic internet and cable TV from the same supplier, I listen to the radio most of the day and have it on the TV via Chrome & BBC Sounds, the Mrs can watch her movies in peace in the bedroom on the other TV & I catch up with all my TV & movies during the evening. Life's good.

7 hours ago, tifino said:

one downfall on many a brand of SmartTV with a Browser, has one required to use the Remotes Up Down Arrows to navigate the screen ????  

- hmmm... I wonder, and now will HAVE to try our HiSense to see what happens if one puts a Mouse into the USB?? 

I followed your advice but shortly after pushing her in, she died.

5BD97124-24D5-48C0-8322-DFE15E9C6038_4_5005_c.jpeg

9 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Like smartphones, can you even buy a dumb TV now.  I have a smart TV, but don't use the 'smart' features.  Basically use it as a monitor for my laptop.  Not a TV / subscriber / streaming kind of guy.  Do torrents (movies & series). 

Practically the whole of your post could of been written by me

Can you even buy a non smart TV over 32"?

I could not believe the price of our 55" TV 20 months ago and will probably get a 65" for our new house next year

A must for any smart TV owners must be a wireless keyboard and mouse if you really wish to use the internet

Get s TLC 75".  Under 30,000 baht.

Brilliant.  You'll never leave the house again.

Samsung makes there screens.

Smart TV's are fine for YouTube, Netflix, Al Jazeera,etc.

But if you want the juicy stuff like free premium sports, first run films, and other things you'll need a good Android box.

Nvidia is best.  

I've got a Mi box S for traveling.  It's really good and updates a lot. 

You don't want some cheapish box one running Android 7.

Troypoint.com has very good tutorials and Android box recommendations.

Its a good starting point.

You'll need good WiFi, but after that you'll never need cable again.

Good luck!

Screenshot_20211022-200309.jpg

Screenshot_20211022-200354.jpg

Edited by MrJ2U

the problem with good quality Smart TV is that they last too long.

I have a Panasonic Smart TV I bought in 2015 which can't do H265, and Panasonic didn't make a newer firmware with the codec.
But H265 requires more CPU, so maybe they weren't even able even if they wanted to.

Software and processor are anyway the usual weak points of cheaper TV, so my best advice would be to go for a basic 4k model with good connectivity and to use a box for the smart functions.

When you choose the TV, it's important to choose one that supports the latest technical standards, both in image quality and connectivity.

That means for today's market, your 4k TV should support HDMI 2.1 - especially if you also plan to use it as a computer monitor.

Edited by tgw
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

Get s TLC 75".  Under 30,000 baht.

I only had problems with my TCL.

Their warranty repair service is bad too - they had to come 3 times and didn't properly identify or fix the problem (problem is that their IR controller overheats and then stops working).

The TCL TV came with outdated firmware that didn't support the functions advertised on the box.

1 minute ago, tgw said:

I only had problems with my TCL.

Their warranty repair service is bad too - they had to come 3 times and didn't properly identify or fix the problem (problem is that their IR controller overheats and then stops working).

The TCL TV came with outdated firmware that didn't support the functions advertised on the box.

That sucks!

That would make me unhappy also.

TV's in Thailand are a little overpriced in my opinion.

We have Lg's and Samsungs.

Hands down I prefer the Samsungs.

It's getting towards the end of the year, better prices.  I've noticed some of those huge Tesco's have good prices.  

Makros has descent prices.

I even got one 55 inch online for 12,000 baht.  Smart LG in the game room.  Works fine. 

Not a good idea. 

If something is wrong I have no recourse.

Enjoy your weekend!

14 minutes ago, Nemises said:

No. I had to settle for a 32” non-smart after unsuccessfully shopping around for something bigger, just last year. 

It has two USB ports and one HDMI. 

You could just get a cheap android box from Ali Express.

Nice for YouTube.

Thats basically all we watch despite having Netflix.

News and documentaries for me and unlimited cartoons for the children.

Yai watches cooking shows.

Unfortunately she's still a terrible cook.

12 minutes ago, Paradise Pete said:

Smart TVs can be cheaper than dumb ones, because the manufacturer expects to continue to profit in various ways as you use it.

Creepy, I know.

They don't even make dumb TV's anymore.

Here in Issan there still selling remanufactured big square ones from the 80's.

Talk about dumb TV's.

• Like 1

I bought an LG G10 OLED Smart TV. I love it. Netflix, YouTube, Prime, HBO, all a click away. I like the simplicity of it all. Having watched my friend dealing with all of his dongles and sticks and PC connections, that looks like a nightmare to me. Then again, it depends a lot on your content. This TV does not have apps that support every source that you might be interested in, so you would want to look into what it supports.