Any alternative to hard dry dog food?

I make my dog a lot of stews and soups, give him fresh bones etc but it is convenient to give him dry stuff sometimes. he really doesn't like the dry kibble stuff, even the premium one or when mixed with other stuff

Back years ago I remember we had a dry dog food called good o's. Was dry as such but more of a chewy dry ring, not a hard kibble. Has anyone come across a product like that?

• Thanks 1

I don't know the product you refer to. Quality dry food are expensive compared to fresh stuff.  If you want something simple and cheap, Marco has chicken carcasses that still have quite a bit of meat on them. Only problem is you they need to be refrigerated.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, northsouthdevide said:

IMHO  a good brand dry dog food has all the nutrients that your dog needs. 

Its better and more balanced than any wet stuff, as the wet stuff contains water, and a diet of mostly meat would have the same health risks as it would for us humans.

I honestly don't know, but there are plenty who support bones and raw meat diet, saying it's closet to their natural food. The quality dry food has blood meal, bone meal, chicken meal etc., I think fresh stuff would be healthier and cheaper, last time I checked water was part of a balanced diet.

As for locally produced dry food, I think it's mainly corn, salt and sugar. Thais eat almost all parts of an animal, so not much left for the dogs.

• Thanks 1

I give my cats "Friskies Surfin' Favourites". They used to love it. Right up to when I gave them some tuna fish cat food.

Now they turn their noses up at it. It's like a battle of wills - the cats meowing and rubbing their heads all over my feet, begging for more tuna, and when I give them more Friskies dry food, they look at it and walk away! ????

So now I give them just half a tin of tuna at night, on top of the dry food, but in the morning the plates are empty, so it's a battle that I won! ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

He gets plenty of fresh stuff and bones, fresh stuff. Just want to give him so prepacked stuff sometimes. Likewise he used to eat the dry stuff but now turns his nose up at it little <deleted>. The stuff I am talking about is like dry food, but it is a little flexible and chewy

• Haha 1

most dogs fed with hardfood without soaked in water die with 6 - 8 years from kidney problems.

my two shepherds get one time a day about 600 g each: 30% small pork, 20% liver and 50% rice. the boy got 14 years and the girl is now 13 with no health problems...

how to do: once a month buy the ingredients in Makro.

Cook in a big pot. fill in 30 plastic containers. freez in the fridge. every morning take out one and in the evening serve it.

one time 3 hours work and 29 times 5 minutes.

voila.......

• Haha 1

Just keep giving your dog dry food. If he doesn't eat it when you place it down. Pick it up and put it away for the next meal time. The dog will eventually eat it. Dogs are smart, they play one your pity. It wont die if it doesn't eat for 2 days.

• Haha 1

On 10/25/2021 at 11:57 AM, Kenny202 said:

he really doesn't like the dry kibble stuff, even the premium one or when mixed with other stuff

your dog isn't really hungry...when s/he gets hungry enough it will get eaten.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/25/2021 at 7:07 AM, Smithson said:

I honestly don't know, but there are plenty who support bones and raw meat diet, saying it's closet to their natural food. The quality dry food has blood meal, bone meal, chicken meal etc., I think fresh stuff would be healthier and cheaper, last time I checked water was part of a balanced diet.

As for locally produced dry food, I think it's mainly corn, salt and sugar. Thais eat almost all parts of an animal, so not much left for the dogs.

Ruff!

• Haha 2

On 10/25/2021 at 11:57 AM, Kenny202 said:

Back years ago I remember we had a dry dog food called good o's.

Ouch. Not a good review from this site on Good-O,

"Alright, Good-o, let’s see what’s so good-o about this food…I’ll give it credit for being colourful. The packaging’s colourful, and the food’s colourful too given they use colourings. Sadly your pooch doesn’t get any nutritional benefit from eating food colourings, so it’s a moot point. The packaging states quality meat proteins and wholegrain cereals for healthy digestion, but the ingredients show these to be in reverse. Wheat is the main ingredient in this food, being better known as a cheap allergenic filler more than an ingredient for healthy digestion. The meat proteins aren’t screaming quality to me either, being by-products of poultry.

What really screams out to me is the overall analysis – 16% protein is very low, as is a mere 7.5% fat! How will your dog maintain muscle mass? How will your dog find energy? If you find your dog to be lethargic on this food, then I’m really not surprised."

https://www.petfoodreviews.com.au/good-o-dog-food-review/

• Haha 1

Expensive or not, all kibble that you buy in Thailand have 18% protein maximum, so it's stupid to buy more expensive when a 20 kg basic bag costs 500 thb.

your dog has bad habits, he should have started his life eating only dry food, then get chicken or anything good sometimes.

you made it the wrong way.

• Like 1

On 10/25/2021 at 12:43 PM, Smithson said:

I don't know the product you refer to. Quality dry food are expensive compared to fresh stuff.  If you want something simple and cheap, Marco has chicken carcasses that still have quite a bit of meat on them. Only problem is you they need to be refrigerated.

You can give it frozen also when it's hot, a good way for them to feel fresh.

On 10/25/2021 at 12:56 PM, northsouthdevide said:

IMHO  a good brand dry dog food has all the nutrients that your dog needs. 

Its better and more balanced than any wet stuff, as the wet stuff contains water, and a diet of mostly meat would have the same health risks as it would for us humans. 

so ridiculous to repeat what all the corrupt vets who just are idiots, are telling customers, because they get paid for selling dry food...

there is nothing better than RAW FEEDING, and kibble that contains a maximum of 18% protein (and 80% grains) is the worst.

So funny that the world can be so much brainwashed ! I won't blame Thai anymore to know nothing and never learn anything, foreigners are not better it seems ????

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bbko said:

Ouch. Not a good review from this site on Good-O,

"Alright, Good-o, let’s see what’s so good-o about this food…I’ll give it credit for being colourful. The packaging’s colourful, and the food’s colourful too given they use colourings. Sadly your pooch doesn’t get any nutritional benefit from eating food colourings, so it’s a moot point. The packaging states quality meat proteins and wholegrain cereals for healthy digestion, but the ingredients show these to be in reverse. Wheat is the main ingredient in this food, being better known as a cheap allergenic filler more than an ingredient for healthy digestion. The meat proteins aren’t screaming quality to me either, being by-products of poultry.

What really screams out to me is the overall analysis – 16% protein is very low, as is a mere 7.5% fat! How will your dog maintain muscle mass? How will your dog find energy? If you find your dog to be lethargic on this food, then I’m really not surprised."

https://www.petfoodreviews.com.au/good-o-dog-food-review/

wheat and any grains are the main ingredients of ANY DRY FOOD ! 

But I guess that most champions here don't know, it's difficult to check a bad sticker to know what dogs are eating...

• Like 1

One year ago my 2 dogs, then 9 and 10 years old, were switched from kibble with a bit of canned food mixed in to fresh meat and vegetables and a little rice. At the time they were somewhat fat and noticeably lazy. Within three months they had shed weight and gained energy and playfulness of a younger dog. No more kibble of any kind for my dogs. Yes it's a little more work but the reward is priceless.

• Like 1

We have 5 dogs and we cook chicken carcasses with rice for them. We keep the rice for ourselves (makes dog poo too soft) and break up the chicken, and mix it with Bok Dok dry biscuits together with the chicken water from the rice cooker, it softens the biscuits and they love the taste, 20 kg bag Bok Dok costs 490 bht

6 hours ago, thaicookingchef said:

Expensive or not, all kibble that you buy in Thailand have 18% protein maximum, so it's stupid to buy more expensive when a 20 kg basic bag costs 500 thb.

there is nothing better than RAW FEEDING, and kibble that contains a maximum of 18% protein (and 80% grains) is the worst.

wheat and any grains are the main ingredients of ANY DRY FOOD ! 

Raw feeders, the preachy vegans of pet ownership. ????

There are multiple high-protein (30%+, 40%+) dry foods readily available here and many of them are grain-free. (Orijen, Taste of the Wild and Acana, off the top of my head. I am sure there are others too.)

It's nonsense to claim that you can only buy low-protein, grain-heavy dry food here claim or that these are equivalent to kibble that costs 20kg/500THB. If someone prefers to feed their dog a dry food, they can find many high-quality options here.

• Like 1

My wife's parents own 100 rai of land up in Issan and lease it out to rice farmers,  so every year we get huge sacks of free rice, about 50kgs for us and about 20kgs of low quality busted up rice that we call "dog rice".  So my dog's meals are a mixture of dog rice, kibble and either boiled chicken carcass or pork bones, wet dog food, chopped fried chicken bones from the open market, or what we have for leftovers.  It's working fine for my dogs, I just got to make sure they get enough protein. 

Our Vet back home  told  us that    dry biscuits, either  cat or dog  variety are  very bad for  animals,  full of salt  and   has adverse effects on their liver and kidneys.     I still give our dogs   small amounts, , mixed and softened with a little milk, but make sure there is plenty of water around for them as well.      They have  tinned sardines, chicken bones, chicken liver,,rice  and bones on different occasions. I   try to stop the wife  giving them  those tins of dog food, after reading about the junk in them on You Tube.

Has anyone   bought  those  packs of frozen dog  food  I see in the freezers at Macro, and  whats  their opinion of them??

• Like 1