Paetongtarn Shinawatra: the new heir of Thailand’s controversial political dynasty

webfact

8 hours ago, hotchilli said:

She must have a hot-line to the old man then...

What the [deleted] does she know about being an advisor on anything apart from the best handbag?

Give her time to learn the ropes, she can then move up to expensive time pieces. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, BusyB said:

Well actually yes.

Would you prefer Lukashenko? Putin? Xi?

Democracy isn't all it's cracked up to be. Trump? The Bush brothers? Nixon? Sarkozy? 

Edited by djayz

Rest assured that if any (acceptable) Shinawatra member runs for election, then Thailand will see red colour again - guaranteed. In the North and Northeast of the land the legalized junta went down very bad and the "voters" in those millions of rice paddies have seen nothing but hardship by being arrogantly overlooked. 

I - for one - am not too sure, which is the better choice but given a choice of two I would suggest to go for the one-eyed among the blind! 

13 hours ago, CharlieH said:

And there it is, ready to launch, all bought and paid for ! and that which isnt, soon will be. Nepotism at its best.

Nepotism and corruption is killing Thailand but I'd rather have elected nepotism than nepotism enforced by guns. 

Having said that I'd much rather have a person like Thanatorn being allowed (by the old and new elite, invisible hands etc.) to have a go in an election but we all know that won't happen unless there's a seismic shift in Thai society, and such a shift will not take place without massive unrest and probably worse.

• Like 2

On 10/30/2021 at 10:57 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

The problem is that millions of Thais would vote for her because she is the daughter of the fugitive criminal and somehow they hope when she is officially in charge he will be in charge.

And then people ae surprised when they have an incompetent and corrupt government.

TiT - and not only in Thailand.

My! She's a beauty isn't she? At least it will be someone worth looking at, we haven't had that since Yingluck went, surely it would be a lot better than looking at The Chuckle Brothers. ????

Edited by possum1931
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

My! She's a beauty isn't she? At least it will be someone worth looking at, we haven't had that since Yingluck went, surely it would be a lot better than looking at The Chuckle Brothers. ????

I definitely like pretty girls.

But politicians should be competent and honest first. I don't mind if they are ugly or gay or whatever if they do a god job.

4 hours ago, djayz said:

Democracy isn't all it's cracked up to be. Trump? The Bush brothers? Nixon? Sarkozy? 

Democracy has its problems yes.

I deliberately held back from citing Trump in my line-up because a) I couldn't be bothered with the faecalstorm even if it wouldn't bother me - I didn't want to give the twerps ammunition, and b) because democracy generally has ways of sorting out these scumbags without massacring their own populations.

It is a preferable system to me anyway. And in this era of polarization too many forget just how much good Thaksin did for the general Thai population. I knew a woman who worked the fields for decades with a bad knee and was in constant pain because they couldn't afford treatment ... the 30 baht program was a godsend for her. Just as one minuscule example.

And you missed Johnson, Rees-Mogg et al in your line-up ;D

As an afterthought, I would point out that systems where people are elected into power on a minority of the vote can hardly be called democratic can they? That applies to the UK and the US and is why both countries are deteriorating so badly. In their own ways, their systems are as rigged as Thailand's. And with exactly the same aim in mind.

Edited by BusyB
  • Like 2

On 10/30/2021 at 1:47 PM, TooPoopedToPop said:

What's her nickname?

The boy is "Oak".

Thaksin's sister is "Poo" or something like that.

There will be frequent "news" stories about this latest standard-bearer of the Shinawatra crime family.

Papa swindles, Mama swindles,

Grandma's a lying thief.

We're all quite shameless,

Yet we're blameless.

For you see it's our belief,

That nowadays the world is rotten,

Honesty has been forgotten.

Fall in love, but after kissing,

Check your purse to see what's missing.               

Nickname "Ing". The other sister, "Aim"

38 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I definitely like pretty girls.

But politicians should be competent and honest first. I don't mind if they are ugly or gay or whatever if they do a god job.

True, but as I have only lived in two countries, I can only refer to Thailand and the UK, I know that no politician in the UK in my adult lifetime who have done a good job, all dishonest hypocrites, especially the so called party of the working class Labour. there has not been any politicians that I know of in power in Thailand since 2014.

I am referring to mainly the top people, maybe not so much the ordinary MPs.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, internationalism said:

prayuth is out at the next election - he might be not eligible and he won't have political party to nominate him for premiership. He has just lost support of PPP. Too late for him to build up a new political party from the scratch.

Prawit took full control of PPP and he is reading himself (or thammanat or some other drug baron) for top post.

Prayuth hates thaksin, but all of them hate move forward for it's constitutional and monarchy reform. 

That hate also includes from the current leadership of phua thai. Their reformist wing (in support of new constitution) resigned from the party in september. Others were eliminated over time before and after september. 

Thaksin has already stroke deal with Prawit for future coalition government. With thaksin wife, his daughter or even himself taking posts. Whether ministries or top advisors.  

Thaksin former wife (proposed to be nominated for PM post by phua thai) had a private audience with the king on 24.09.20. She is from aristocracy

The greater disparaging twist to all of this grand theatre is that but a few are able to distinguish the differences of ruling classes and their particular circles - generated cycle after the next. More often than not, guised under the usual "new and improved" label, yet sleep under the same roof of those that they might oppose. 

The tradition is so terribly dominant and influential as to how the order works, that very little appears to be distinctively alternative for the betterment of the commons - lotsa talk, yet appears to be the same old practice of The Club.