A reminder why Thailand is such a great place to live

PizzaBoi

3 hours ago, ChaiyaTH said:

What nonsense are you even talking about, the gains that were made on property in Thailand were just as much, the boom just took place before it even started in the west. Just as you could now decide not to sell, to then get in the biggest financial crisis yet, having no chance and seeing 400K value go up in smoke. 

I never been into property at all but if I did have bought the condo's back in 2012-2013 alone, I could have sold for double the price 3-4 years later, while being a noob in it, in Thailand.

Doesn't really matter where you are. Gold has also done like 10% yearly average for over a decade already, stock markets even more. Anyway, I would sell it if I were you and convert it all into gold and rent in Thailand while sipping coconuts.

Says the guy who never been in to property!

I'm reading through the latest 3 or 4 pages and it seems like over half of the responses are from posters that have left and are no longer even living in Thailand, some with no plans to likely ever return.  Responding to a thread on why Thailand is a great place to live--while not living here.   As always, a mystery as to why they take valuable time from their precious day to keep up with faraway Thailand and then take even more valuable time to, thanks Shakespeare, protest perhaps a bit too much on how great things are where they ended up.  A pass to Thaibeachlover, though.   

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ChaiyaTH said:

I never been into property at all but if I did have bought the condo's back in 2012-2013 alone, I could have sold for double the price 3-4 years later, while being a noob in it, in Thailand.

There are dreamers like you and then there is reality. My wife bought a condo in 2010. Next year a BTS station will open right next to her condo. The price in 11 years dropped 30%.

There are a few locations in Bangkok where price has appreciated, but these locations are excellent....under excellent management. Mortals did not invest there.

Another thing to note is that while covid made people put a ton of money in Western real estate in Thailand it basically crashed. It speaks volumes about the country and the government.

Edited by Pravda
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Pravda said:

Another thing to note is that while covid made people put a ton of money in Western real estate in Thailand it basically crashed. It speaks volumes about the country and the government.

Falsely low interest rates in the west is the reason for false house price appreciation IMHO.

If interest rates returned to a more realistic 5%, the western housing markets would crash and burn.

Thailand is much more sensible and as a result the property market is far more stable.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, newnative said:

I'm reading through the latest 3 or 4 pages and it seems like over half of the responses are from posters that have left and are no longer even living in Thailand, some with no plans to likely ever return.  Responding to a thread on why Thailand is a great place to live--while not living here.   As always, a mystery as to why they take valuable time from their precious day to keep up with faraway Thailand and then take even more valuable time to, thanks Shakespeare, protest perhaps a bit too much on how great things are where they ended up.  A pass to Thaibeachlover, though.   

Most likely bitterness or jealousy or a combination of both.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Eaglekott said:

Every time it feels like I would like to complain over anything here in Thailand I just start my weather app and check the current weather in my home time. Then all "I want to complain" feelings goes away, even if its heavy rain here. 

Reading the news is enough to remind me I'm not going back there.  I'd apparently offend everyone with the most innocent conversation.  Woke & PC brigade are nuts, along with all the race baiting BS.

Throw in prices, RE taxes and force medical insurance premiums that cover absolutely nothing, and the co-payments when it does is more than healthcare here .... NO THANKS.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eaglekott said:

Every time it feels like I would like to complain over anything here in Thailand I just start my weather app and check the current weather in my home time. Then all "I want to complain" feelings goes away, even if its heavy rain here. 

This is true. and i agree, Thailand has hot and hot box, and that's the only real good things.

But if you could base yourself in the uk ( or where ever you come from )

And then enjoy the summer there ( 18  days in the uk at present ) Ha Ha.

Then holiday in different countries that have a more suitable temperature.

on and off as you see fit to do . wouldn't that be good .

Is any one going to tell me the heat in Thailand is ok and not stifling and oppressive most of the time ?

I Love Thailand,   well not so  much now days. all a bit  old hat to me now !

Edited by Orinoco

4 hours ago, The Cipher said:

You are 100% correct. Too many people fall into the trap of viewing locations as an either/or dichotomy. But the right answer is dual-city/multi-city living.

That setup lets you mix and match seasons and benefits of each location and the rotation stops you from getting too frustrated or bored. Can't imagine doing it any other way.

Yes exactly right - also working hard during summers in London means I stay in the system with regards to taxes/health/investments in UK,  so it's an added bit of security. I did try living fully in various places in Asia previously but for many reasons, it didn't work for me.  We're all different with very different requirements but as you say, it doesn't need to be either/or.

Hopefully travel issues lessen and we can all get back to where we need to be when we want to be there.

• Like 1

My eldest son is an accountant. He    went to the UK, could work as  his grandfather, my dad, was a Pom.   He stated  the work ethic   for the English is rather strange.   As an accountant he was paid on a "points" system.. What you do is what you are paid.  He would get to work 8am and  start.  The locals would roll in about 9am,   stand around drinking tea, then    off to the grindstone,,later.   Stop for lunch  12 noon, come back maybe  1.30PM   ,,    stop again   2 or 3 Pm for afternoon tea.  My son     ignored both tea breaks  and took   3/4 of an hour for lunch.    By 5pm     the office was deserted.  My son would knock off about 6pm.   He  states he was earning   twice as much as the locals, his  work output  was   that much higher.   He bought a small car while there,  rented his own apartment, led  a good life.  Came back  to  Oz after 2 years.    Its what you put into to it  is what you get out of it. Had no complaints about the place, enjoyed his time there.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Mansell said:

He came on here and gave his opinion of his experience in the UK.

What was his experience in UK? He stayed there for 2 weeks.

Last week I was watching YouTube about people in UK over 100. All of them were enjoying life. One of them champions even said how he enjoys screwing the UK government being so old because they still have to give him pension.

Yes, try that in Thailand. The government here doesn't even feed the hungry during covid. Farang has to do it.

• Like 1

Pretty much describes the feeling I have every time I visit my home country.

For me the absolutely best thing about Thailand is the weather. Of course there are other benefits, but not something I could also find in other warm climate countries.

Personally I am planning a couple of years break from Thailand, when Covid allows it. Looking at moving to The Philippines or maybe Belize. I am a bit bored with Thailand now.

After most of my living years in warm climate I will for sure never return to my home country. 

Edited by khunpa
  • Like 1