Thailand U-turns! This one is all above board, says Highways Dept

webfact

2 hours ago, ArcticFox said:

U-turns are unmitigated Death-Traps.  Period.

Bit of a generalised statement.

They have been trials on U-turns on the Chonburi - Bang Saen road for about 6 years, have to admit a bit like watching paint dry. On saying that there has been a lot of adjustments, mainly to cater for HGVs.

The current version would work quite well if it wasn't for the presence of motorists. Instead of using the slip road to gain speed and merge with the moving traffic, the majority want to stop at the end of the slip road and merge from a standing start.

Not the U-turn that is the problem.

u turn (2).jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, sandyf said:

They have been trials on U-turns on the Chonburi - Bang Saen road for about 6 years, have to admit a bit like watching paint dry. On saying that there has been a lot of adjustments, mainly to cater for HGVs.

The current version would work quite well if it wasn't for the presence of motorists. Instead of using the slip road to gain speed and merge with the moving traffic, the majority want to stop at the end of the slip road and merge from a standing start.

u turn (2).jpg

On that one there's room for a car to almost completely turn before joining the other carriageway.  In the OP, a car has little more than its own length to turn, meaning that it will impinge on the fast traffic.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, sandyf said:

u turn (2).jpg

It is the design of the u turns in most cases they make problems. Many have no 'slip' roads in and out, landscaping and trees etc in the way as are the vehicles turning opposite you that block your vision. (plus the speed of Thai drivers). 

I always,  or at least where I can, drive a bit further for traffic lights if available!!!????????????????

31 minutes ago, DefaultName said:

On that one there's room for a car to almost completely turn before joining the other carriageway.  In the OP, a car has little more than its own length to turn, meaning that it will impinge on the fast traffic.

Your quite right and my point was purely informational.

Fairly obvious the research is not being shared or not being shared with the right people.

• Like 1

Let's face it - U-turns are extremely hazardous.  But if they didn't have as many u-turns as they have then the alternative is to have 50% (as opposed to the current 5%) of the traffic reversing in the wrong direction to get back to the u-turn they missed.

A dilemma of neo-classical proportions.  

• Like 1

Perhaps, when someone decides to close a U turn, they will put water or concrete in the red barriers.

in a place near me where they have been widening the road and putting in central reservations and new U turns, the red barriers are placed to close them off. Except, the red barriers are constantly being moved so bikes, and sometimes even cars use them.

Some main roads have had barriers on the U turns for a long time. Bikers move them, use the U turns...

water or concrete please. Or just concrete the bloody things closed properly.

• Like 2

It's better to close the U-turns when it's only 1 km drive ahead for the next U-turn/traffic

I've seen many daredevil run-across from lazy Thai who just don't have a sense of safety for incoming traffic.

They are just too lazy to drive less than 1 km for the traffic light.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

The seriously dangerous ones are where the U turns are combined......neither side can see clearly past the other side that is also queueing.

You beat me to it.  They are the most dangerous and poorly designed U Turns I have seen in any country I have driven in.  The two direction U Turns should be separated by 50-100 meters so each facing driver can see oncoming traffic.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dlclark97 said:

You beat me to it.  They are the most dangerous and poorly designed U Turns I have seen in any country I have driven in.  The two direction U Turns should be separated by 50-100 meters so each facing driver can see oncoming traffic.  

Seems like a no brainer until you realize where you are....555

6 hours ago, bdenner said:

From which area in the world did the brains trust here get this U Turn idiocy from?

Come up to Highway 12 where most of the dual carriageway is separated by concrete barriers, even through villages. Sometimes people need to turn around and not go 20-50 km like in the west. Yes they can be dangerous but that is the problem of the drivers, not the road.

I have today made 5 u-turns on a 6 lane (3x3) highway and am still typing this.

Edited by GreasyFingers
added

2 hours ago, DPKANKAN said:

It is the design of the u turns in most cases they make problems. Many have no 'slip' roads in and out, landscaping and trees etc in the way as are the vehicles turning opposite you that block your vision. (plus the speed of Thai drivers). 

I always,  or at least where I can, drive a bit further for traffic lights if available!!!????????????????

Where u-turns are illegal, mostly. Quick filler for the bib rice bowl. Like helmets, etc.

14 hours ago, kidneyw said:

What I don't understand is the No U turn signs before a U turn.

I was confused about that until I learned that an accompanying sign says no u turn for trucks/buses etc. Because the road width is too narrow for their turning circle.

Hard to accept that Highway department can continue to cost lives in today age, With all the smart phones , apps, banking online, policies. Highway department must install safer roads for people to drive on. Very sad indeed for the accidents, death and the ones who build the death traps as their job .