internet on darkside.

p414

2 minutes ago, smedly said:

I have 3bb fibre 1000/500 Bt700/m and can download just as quoted above 3gb file in 1-2mins, I have hit speeds of over 60Mbs, it is lightning fast

If the OP can get fibre on the DS then don't waste your time with anything else

If I speedtest to Europe or UK I certainly see a good speed drop on the domestic and the 500/500 I pay for. .....Although just did a speedtest to London and saw an impressive 250 Mb/s  and 90 upload.  Pretty sure that would deteriorate in the evenings... I know Thailand chokes it's International gateway at night. I can test to a particular streaming server I use and it really drops... more about their server surely. 

On 11/12/2021 at 2:27 PM, Bruno123 said:

For instance; you can stream directly from a Torrent.

yes you can but strickly speaking that is not the same as watching content on an android box or similar - what you are doing is downloading the torrent content but just not saving it - it still gives you the choice of 1080p HD or 4k UHD = much higher quality, the drawback of doing this is you cannot watch live sports but again the streaming services are poor quality 

11 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

If I speedtest to Europe or UK I certainly see a good speed drop on the domestic and the 500/500 I pay for. .....Although just did a speedtest to London and saw an impressive 250 Mb/s  and 90 upload.  Pretty sure that would deteriorate in the evenings... I know Thailand chokes it's International gateway at night. I can test to a particular streaming server I use and it really drops... more about their server surely. 

Torrent system shares the dowload with many nodes which is why its speed in unmatched - you still have a fast connection which is good and yes there is a limit with international connections (torrents are not affected by this the same as live streaming) 

250Mb/s is less than 20MB/s ...............................B = Bytes ..........b = bits

• Like 1

1 minute ago, smedly said:

250Mb/s is less than 20MB/s ...............................B = Bytes ..........b = bits

Yes I still remember about bytes and bits thanks .... there is also the 'B' for Baud to add to the confusion, but that seems to be dying out! Cheers. 

3 hours ago, smedly said:

yes you can but strickly speaking that is not the same as watching content on an android box or similar - what you are doing is downloading the torrent content but just not saving it - it still gives you the choice of 1080p HD or 4k UHD = much higher quality, the drawback of doing this is you cannot watch live sports but again the streaming services are poor quality 

I have no idea why you decided to selectively quote my post. Not only that; your reply bears no relation to what I was discussing.

I quoted JensenZ who state that downloading was superior to streaming. 

I did not even touch on IPTV nor Android boxes.

The discussion was downloading a Torrent or streaming a Torrent directly. I was explaining to him that the differences where not as he imagined.  At least get the gist of the conversation before joining in ????

Totally ridiculous to insult my intelligence by thinking you are explaining to me that streaming is downloading the content but not saving it ????

Edited by Bruno123

Torrent system shares the dowload with many nodes which is why its speed in unmatched - you still have a fast connection which is good and yes there is a limit with international connections (torrents are not affected by this the same as live streaming) 

250 Mbps is more than 31 MB/s...

4 hours ago, smedly said:

you are limited to provider bandwidth and quality - which is a real problem, I could never watch video streaming at FHD (720) resolution on a 65" TV it is just poor and hard to watch, 1080p is the bare minimum and preferred 4k

You only need 25 Mbps to stream ultra 4k.

Thus the demiss of DVD's.

https://www.cable.co.uk/broadband/guides/broadband-streaming/

• Haha 1

you are limited to provider bandwidth and quality - which is a real problem, I could never watch video streaming at FHD (720) resolution on a 65" TV it is just poor and hard to watch, 1080p is the bare minimum and preferred 4k

Wrong. We already discussed streaming directly from Torrents; so no such limitation.

I have 3bb fibre 1000/500 Bt700/m and can download just as quoted above 3gb file in 1-2mins, I have hit speeds of over 60Mbs, it is lightning fast

60 MB/s is slightly less than 500 Mbps. Where's the other half of your bandwidth? ????

On 11/3/2021 at 3:16 PM, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

Might be worth having a try at asking for a permanent stop to throttling.

You do not have to do anything more than use a VPN service. Then you get a better speed. I´ve tried that on Nord VPN, Express VPN and Windscribe. All 3 give better speed and normally 3 gb goes in anything from 5-15 minutes.

2 hours ago, Bruno123 said:

The discussion was downloading a Torrent or streaming a Torrent directly. I was explaining to him that the differences where not as he imagined.  At least get the gist of the conversation before joining in

you are using the torrent infrastructure to stream which is just the same as downloading except you don't save the file - you view it - I made a comparison to actual streaming as that is also included in this discussion, the point is that the two methods are vastly different

you viewing a torrent is not vastly different to downloading it 

5 hours ago, smedly said:

Yes 3BB fibre optic is possible on the Dark Side. I have had it for a couple of years-very good

• Like 1

On 11/12/2021 at 2:27 PM, Bruno123 said:

It's not far better and it's not faster; it's an alternative.

For instance; you can stream directly from a Torrent. So same selection. Also if you can stream directly from a torrent, you can have many movies lined up without needing to download them.

Without your fast connection, it would be very inconvenient to have five or ten different media lined up.

I don't need a fast connection to do that and my movies are ready to watch even faster than you could download them on your fast connection.

In fact, I can source media via Torrent and have it ready to play directly on my TV in under thirty seconds in many cases. No need to download at all. My TV can only play Full HD; so I am referring to Full HD media.

Downloading is good for archiving.

I was responding to a suggestion that downloading is becoming archaic, not really which is better, however, having used both methods I strongly disagree. My method is better, faster and easier, and if you're a person who likes to rewind to rewatch scenes, a lot better at that too... not to mention logging into streaming servers can be a pain too. Navigating inside the movie is so much easier with the movie on the hard drive.

I don't arhive many movies. I watch them, and after I've done my social duty seeding back, delete them. With the size of hard drives these days, it's not a problem.

Edited by JensenZ

6 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Your speed is not choked at night by your ISP. Your speed rating is a shared bandwidth and it will depend on what your nieighbours are doing. At night more people might be watching movies and downloading, hence your lower speed. Most cheap services we are talking about here are shared with 20 - 30 neighbours. The cheaper you pay, the more neighbours you are likely to have. This will vary from ISP to ISP and where you live. I don't have a problem with speed dropping at any time of the day.

The only way to avoid this is to lease your own line, but that will cost a fortune. You can also pay for business packages which all ISPs do offer, which are much more expensive, but share with fewer neighbours.

But if you're only watching movies, it doesn't really matter if it takes 1 minute or 15 minutes to download... with slower connections, just think ahead and download while you sleeping or doing something else.

6 hours ago, smedly said:

250 Mbps/8 = 31.25 MB/s. The speed you get is very dependent on the number of seeders of course. I will get high speeds on the latest popular offerings.

Edited by JensenZ

47 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

250 Mbps/8 = 31.25 MB/s. The speed you get is very dependent on the number of seeders of course. I will get high speeds on the latest popular offerings.

yes a byte is 8 bits - is that all that makes up IP traffic

you are using the torrent infrastructure to stream which is just the same as downloading except you don't save the file - you view it - I made a comparison to actual streaming as that is also included in this discussion, the point is that the two methods are vastly different

you viewing a torrent is not vastly different to downloading it 

Whooooosh..... you still aren't getting it. That is not what was being discussed.

2 hours ago, JensenZ said:

I was responding to a suggestion that downloading is becoming archaic, not really which is better, however, having used both methods I strongly disagree. My method is better, faster and easier, and if you're a person who likes to rewind to rewatch scenes, a lot better at that too... not to mention logging into streaming servers can be a pain too. Navigating inside the movie is so much easier with the movie on the hard drive.

I don't arhive many movies. I watch them, and after I've done my social duty seeding back, delete them. With the size of hard drives these days, it's not a problem.

Once again; you are wrong. You are simply limited by your own experience.

Seems there is a limited ability to understand what is being written on this thread.

You wrote that downloading was better and listed a number of advantages. I debunked your listed advantages and now you have listed some different ones. I will debunk those too.

I have already informed you that your method is not better and faster.

Since you have brought up the subject of a streaming server, let's go with that.

So one logs into a web based 'streaming server' directly on a TV for instance and the media is there directly to watch. Ten seconds if you don't need to log in. Whereas you need two to three minutes to download even a single Full HD movie.. Worse, you need to play it on your PC to be able to watch it on your TV or put it on a drive that plugs into the TV. Primitive.

As I alluded to you earlier, I can have 10 or even 100 movies lined up, without having to download anything beforehand. Not just that, but play them directly on my TV without needing a PC at all.

That is always going to be better and faster than having to download and then play via a PC.

Read and digest before replying.

On to your next point. Pause, go back and replay...can.  

So once again, downloading is not faster and better; it is simply an alternative method. You are simply limited by your experience. I use both methods; so I know.

You have written twice about logging into 'streaming servers'. What are 'streaming servers' to you and why would it be a pain to log into one?

2 hours ago, smedly said:

yes a byte is 8 bits - is that all that makes up IP traffic

But you insisted that is was less than 20 MB/s. Now instead of simply acknowledging a minor mistake, you compound it with an even stranger statement. It's okay to admit that you made a mistake online. We'll love you for it.

15 hours ago, JensenZ said:

Your speed is not choked at night by your ISP

I did not say it was... I believed it was the International gateways whoever they belong to. The end result is the same.

I think I mentioned before that I do not download movies, but usually stream TV.

Edited by jacko45k