Pattaya retirees feel “trapped” in Thailand because of insurance

redwood1

On 11/6/2021 at 11:00 PM, CRUNCHER said:

You miss the point of this thread.  Travel insurance is not available for retirees who live here.

As to the suggestion of using visa exempt or tourist visa think again.  A couple of those and retirees will not be allowed in.  That has happened before.

For those who got insurance when they were younger, there is no guarantee that their policies will meet requirements, especially since none of them will specifically cover Covid 19.

I can easily  cover US$ 50,000 with money in the bank, but I object to being forced to pay for insurance I do not want. Self insurance is not on the list of requirements. Also the money I have saved in premiums over the years would more than cover the US$ 50,000 requirement.

The problem is that the Thailand Pass is geared towards  tourists, which Thailand so badly needs, but has failed to take into account the plight of retirees. Some I know are here on a shoe string, but many of us have brought a lot of money into the country over the years. Now we are being ripped off.

Yes being main providers and monies spent on their homes but somehow the Thais have to prove it is theirs re the funds and of course in their names.

On 11/5/2021 at 6:55 AM, Jeffr2 said:

I came in with Emirates and the insurance was include.  Just lucky that Emirates was the best option for me anyway!

For some, if not staying long, a plan like this might work.  Travel insurance.  But max time is 90 days.

https://www.allianztravelinsurance.com/find-a-plan

Way back and several years ago I got travel insurance and no mention that one had to stay 5 or 6 months in the UK until it was time for renewal.
Best stay here in Thailand but even then restricted to go to other Provinces and yes a little self insurance but even with a policy and with no preceding conditions, but once you have this and then excluded from next renewal

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Leaver said:

No.  It should never get to that stage, regardless of how "different" you think your Thai girl is.  ????  

But sadly over the years that has been the 'Plan B' for quite a few (with or without the girl).

But enuff morbid stuff, back to insurance.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, couchpotato said:

But sadly over the years that has been the 'Plan B' for quite a few (with or without the girl).

But enuff morbid stuff, back to insurance.

There's no insurance against a Thai girl that is "different" who ends up being "same same."  ????  

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

Well, if they get all their embassies to not speak with forked tongues for once this one here should at least take care for the problem of high insurance cost for longer permissions of stay on (re-)entry ... 

Quote: 

>>   INSURANCE POLICIES
I think expatriates are finding it harder than tourists to find appropriate insurance for the $50,000 coverage. Particularly as they are supposed to be covered for the remaining length of the time left on their visa. I had ten months left on mine and was quoted 30,000 baht for a one-year insurance policy! Foreigners with Permanent Residence or people with long-term Thailand Elite visas, would face a much bigger bill. On this matter, I think I have some good news and some clarification about the rules.
For a start, it doesn’t seem to be written down anywhere that you need to have special insurance to cover you for the time you will be in Thailand if you are on a long-term visa. It was just implied by some embassies. I asked the director general about this, and he said a 30-day policy would be plenty. After all, if you test positive, you will only need to do 10 days in a hospital and a possible 14 day quarantine afterwards. So, a 30-day policy would cover you. <<

It's from a meeting between R. Barrow & the Director-General of the Department of Consular Affairs, dated 10NOV21, source:

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

This Axa policy fits the bill, ok for short durations, over priced for longer term but will get you in the country

Screenshot_2021-11-09-15-01-59-211_jp.naver.line.android.jpg

Thanks for taking the trouble to post.  It could certainly be useful to some people.

Unfortunately this policy is not available to anyone actually in Thailand. See the website FAQ. Fine if you plan a long trip out of Thailand you can apply in the place you are going to. Anyone going for a short trip really need to sort out insurance and Thailand Pass before they leave Thailand,

It is only available for those under 75 years. This will eliminate a lot of elderly retirees in Pattaya currently feeling trapped. It only has limited benefit to those to whom this thread applies.

Edited by CRUNCHER

9 hours ago, CRUNCHER said:

Thanks for taking the trouble to post.  It could certainly be useful to some people.

Unfortunately this policy is not available to anyone actually in Thailand. See the website FAQ. Fine if you plan a long trip out of Thailand you can apply in the place you are going to. Anyone going for a short trip really need to sort out insurance and Thailand Pass before they leave Thailand,

It is only available for those under 75 years. This will eliminate a lot of elderly retirees in Pattaya currently feeling trapped. It only has limited benefit to those to whom this thread applies.

Its purpose is for re-entry, people felt trapped here because they couldn't return, it's accepted for that according to Axa and broker. There will be better farang policies available with much greater cover but maybe not so straight forward to ensure it complies, maybe find some examples and post?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Leaver said:

Happily single here.  Always have been.  The buffalo is still sick.  ????  

"No Thai girl is 'different'", the sick buffalo story....

What other wisdom do you acquire on your barstools adjacent to drunk misogynists? 

5 minutes ago, amexpat said:

What other wisdom do you acquire on your barstools adjacent to drunk misogynists? 

One has a great view from the bar stool looking at those that really think their girl is "different" and "it" will never happen to them.

How exposed are you?  

Just now, Leaver said:

One has a great view from the bar stool looking at those that really think their girl is "different" and "it" will never happen to them.

How exposed are you?  

OK, I assumed you are in Thailand hanging out with losers.  But it's quite possible you are in Liverpool or Kansas City using your mom's computer. 

I've been quite exposed to a couple of GFs who were wonderful. Also by my friendship with western guys and their long time GFs, wives, and mothers of their children. They've been happy for many years.

Sure there are some sharks in the pool but they feed on the men who really can't relate to women.

Alas, the losers who feed you stories will never know the love of a Thai woman, but maybe you can still wise up. Good luck. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, amexpat said:

OK, I assumed you are in Thailand hanging out with losers. 

Of course, you are a Pattaya HiSo farang, Pattaya being such an affluent part of Thailand and South East Asia.  ????

27 minutes ago, amexpat said:

But it's quite possible you are in Liverpool or Kansas City using your mom's computer. 

I am in Thailand Ground Zero - Pattaya.

28 minutes ago, amexpat said:

I've been quite exposed to a couple of GFs who were wonderful.

I meant, exposed financially.  Not exposed to Thai women.

29 minutes ago, amexpat said:

Sure there are some sharks in the pool but they feed on the men who really can't relate to women.

Those sharks feed on anyone and everyone, and there is a long, long, long list of victims, reaching all the way back to their home countries where they have returned broke, and over their balcony, in despair.

I'm sure a humanitarian such as yourself has some sympathy for them.  

31 minutes ago, amexpat said:

Alas, the losers who feed you stories will never know the love of a Thai woman, but maybe you can still wise up. Good luck. 

Why do you think I, or anyone else, needs the love of a Thai women?  With a comment like that, you must be on the hook.  Once again, how exposed are you?

I am here for the sun, sea, sand, suds, seafood and snatch.  Simple as that.  

I am not here to buy a property I can not truly own, and adopt an extended Thai family in Issan, and cater to any other fantasy a Thai girl might have.  It's the reason I have longevity here, when I have seen many others go home broke, or end up living here like a pauper.  

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, CRUNCHER said:

I have been looking around, but there are too many restrictions relating to travel insurance for somebody who lives in Thailand. As for health insurance, I am 74 and can get insurance for this year. But next year, when I hit 75, even if I can get insurance, premiums lose touch with sanity.

I would have thought that there was something of a niche market here (older long term residents).  I  am not an actuary, but I find it hard to believe that local insurance companies can't work something out.  They did when only Covid insurance was required.

For example a mandatory excess/deductible would eliminate the plethora of small claims that individually do not amount to much, but collectively cost insurance companies a lot of money. Not including things like death cover and repatriation of mortal remains would again reduce cost. Having arrangements with specific hospitals could benefit the insurance companies, although there might be costs relating to transfer after initial admission.  

Just my thoughts.

Spot on!