New Alcohol Selling Restrictions at Makro (Makro only)?

thecaveman

25 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

580 a box, buying one single ready cold beer out the fridge 50.

Makro is 20 kilos away. 

Mum and Pops

is around the corner. 

Even ready cold beer in 7-11 is 154 for 3 again just around the corner.

Yeah that's fine I think I saw 589 for a box of chang in macro. I can't stand that beer so I'm not sure. I thought you may know some really special deals. I buy at mom's shop too(occasionally at macro by the box if in town) no major differences in price really.

• Like 2

On 11/4/2021 at 11:17 AM, PoorSucker said:

Where?

This has been the rule on Koh Samui for 10 years when selling between 2pm and 5pm.

The rule was that you could not buy less than 10 liters of alcohol between 2 pm and 5 pm, as 10 liters were considered wholesale for restaurants and bars, and like. Two crates of each 24 pieces of .33 beer would do it...????

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

mom & pop shops don't sell real beer, just that Thai swill

Are you forced to drink it?

2 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

Obviously not a native English speaker, just what is a povvo ??

He seems to come from  land down under.

https://www.yourdictionary.com/povvo

(slang) Poor, penniless.
adjective

(slang) One who is poor, a pauper.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, billd766 said:

Are you forced to drink it?

sometimes your're forced to. like in the old days on the train from Bangers to Pattaya. the nice lady with the ice bucket kept me refreshed with the good old Beer Chaaang. it's drinkable from the tinnies if it's nice and cold. had to drink it because that's all she had and no-one else was drinking so I kind of had a moral obligation to drink all I could even though it was only six in the morning. couldn't let her go home empty-handed now could I?

just because it's swill doesn't mean I won't drink it. I was quite partial to the good old Chaaang when it first came out back in '97 was it? i'd chuck back a good seven or eight big bottles every night at Noi bar in Lamai on Koh Samui. I think she was charging 50 baht per bottle which was much cheaper than the small Carlsbergs at 70 baht per. and I was a tighta3se backpacker then so every penny counted. 

but then I grew up and moved on. craft beer only for me now ????

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, teacherofwoe said:

For years Makro has limited the quantity of alcohol a person can buy. If your Makro card is for your restaurant/business, then you can purchase all you want.

Thank you, I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who realizes that Makro is primarily a wholesale outlet. In fact here is their mission statement:

''The distribution of products with excellence in price, quality and variety to professional customers, offering them advantages and opportunities of growth".

The fact that they allow retail customers is an unusual concession for this type of outlet.

6 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Here we go again another beer expert in the forum, I like what you called Thai swill it has won awards but I don't care about that I like I the taste couldn't care less what you like. 

yep i like it also ..ive drank a lot worse in the Uk

• Like 2

6 hours ago, thecaveman said:

It depends a lot on where you live. Here in Mukdahan, there isn't much choice when it comes to Western products other than the Makro.

Of course, I can buy beer everywhere. But most stores carry relatively old beer, while at the Makro it is usually reasonably fresh.

Every even  little bigger villages has beer/alcohol/cicarette etc. dealer where all mom@pop shops buy they stuff! If i want buy many case of beer i buy in same place straight from dealer! Need little watch around. 

Edited by 2 is 1
  • Like 1

On 11/4/2021 at 6:55 PM, pgrahmm said:

Just make more than one trip w/o a card,  changing cashier lanes; or more people.....

I don't drink beer, so 10 liters seems like a lot....

10 litres is not a lot.. you're presuming per person, this maybe shared.

Also this could be buying once a week to top-up stock, not buying each time a drink is required. from a local shop.

9 hours ago, Harveyboy said:

yep i like it also ..ive drank a lot worse in the Uk

Yeah I understand some people not liking Chang I myself found it too strong when it was 6•4% I prefer it now at 5•0%.

There was a beer called Thai Beer 15 years ago and it was a good tasting dark beer but obviously not popular so it disappeared.

3 hours ago, hotchilli said:

10 litres is not a lot.. you're presuming per person, this maybe shared.

Also this could be buying once a week to top-up stock, not buying each time a drink is required. from a local shop.

I guess not....I haven't had 10 liters of beer total since I left high school in the 60's....

If/when I drink (Saturday nights) it's usually rum & coke - or I'll blend up Mai tais, Margueritas, or similar if the girls want.....They seldom do....

• Like 1

On 11/5/2021 at 4:33 PM, Kwasaki said:

580 a box, buying one single ready cold beer out the fridge 50.

Makro is 20 kilos away. 

Mum and Pops

is around the corner. 

Even ready cold beer in 7-11 is 154 for 3 again just around the corner.

I used to routinely buy 2 cases of Leo, 24 small bottles for 735 each. Because of Makro's silly rules I now buy locally from a mom/pop that moves a lot of beer for 750/case.any time at all.

I'd rather pay more and support the locals who now know me. While we go to Makro about twice a month for many items we also usually buy most fruit/veggies from local vendors too. I feel better about it.

Vote with your feet.

• Like 1