Renting a villa with security cameras. Having an issue with the landlord

43 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

Just tape a piece of paper on the camera, problem solved.

Exactly  camera still on.  You will have done what he asked.  You will have left the camera on and maintaing your privacy.  Or what can he do if you turn them off to protect  your privacy.  I am under t hgt e impression Thailand  a modest country, so why wouldn't  it be ok that you are shy when on camera in your swim suits?  If he ask you to leave then you shouldn't  be liable to have to pay remaining months.  Ask hom if he's a dirty man and just trying to see someones body.  If course this may cause him a loss of face if you call him out.  

• Like 1

Just think what may be lurking inside - my builder had me set up an inch diameter camera that he can see with his smartphone ( on a pole so he could see tight areas - can zoom in etc ).

I'd just tell him I'm covering when we are in the covered areas - simple !

2 hours ago, 2 is 1 said:

Turn camera off and hit it whit baseball bat! If he come put new one do same again!

Let your girlfriend/wife watch that nobody see you in action. And you dont know anything what have happen those cameras, when/if he ask tell him to contact that agent!

Stupid advise as it will be on the camera.

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

CCTV not mentioned in the contract or on the video tour, so the owner doesn't have a legal leg to stand on.  If I was in your shoes I'd keep a copy of that video tour incase the owner tries anything and "accidently" block the intrusive cameras with a newly bought potted plant/drying clothes on the rack/hanging decorations/oversized poolside thermometer, etc.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, bbko said:

CCTV not mentioned in the contract or on the video tour, so the owner doesn't have a legal leg to stand on.  If I was in your shoes I'd keep a copy of that video tour incase the owner tries anything and "accidently" block the intrusive cameras with a newly bought potted plant/drying clothes on the rack/hanging decorations/oversized poolside thermometer, etc.

Owner would be taking a big risk to sue. Lessee and owner could be charged for x rated video depending what has been recorded in the pool and lounge! 

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, arick said:

Owner would be taking a big risk to sue. Lessee and owner could be charged for x rated video depending what has been recorded in the pool and lounge! 

Very good advice plus you should check if the owner has installed hidden cameras in the interior, if he is a voyeur as he seems it is very likely that he has installed them, you find this inexpensive tool on lazada, if you find them you inform the police and the contract will be automatically canceled.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, wthnrsn said:

We were locked down in a red zone and could not fly to view the place in person. 

We had a video tour, then signed the lease and paid the deposit. 

On arrival, we questioned the housekeeper about the cameras. She was sympathetic and showed me how to turn it off, but made a point that the owner expects it on and if we turn it off, to do it briefly. 

We emailed the landlord that day (he's in the UK) to talk about the cameras. 

He's ignored a few emails, so then we decided to just turn them off when it best suited us. 

That's what finally got his attention. 

They both keep saying how all the other tenants were fine with the cameras... As if we're the one's being unreasonable here. 

However the agent did acknowledge our privacy concerns and has asked the owner if he'll compromise. 

We'll see where this will go. 

My only concern would be if he had grounds to kick us out if we kept turning them off

He's in the UK...............................Can I assume not a Thai citizen then....? Not a leg to stand on legally. I think you've been more than reasonable and quite frankly, it must affect the way you feel about living in the property: it certainly would me.................................If that is the case, then you gotta stand your ground and front it out as you see fit................................However, a possible compromise might be for you to suggest that the housekeeper is allowed to update him with videos of the property at regular intervals to show that the property is being well looked after............................Any reasonable landlord would agree to that, and I'm sure you would,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,otherwise he is just a voyeur..........................................................I hope it works out for you.................................

Liable for the years rent if you leave ! ????????

Turn them off . If you keep turning them off then what is he going to do apart from send the agent round to tell you to put them back on . Upon which you refuse and they can waste each other’s time trying to get you to comply . If the owner says put them on or leave then tell him no problem as long as he returns any deposit and agrees not to charge you for the rest of the year .

• Like 1

1 minute ago, VocalNeal said:

It isn't a security system it is a monitoring system.

We don't know that. it could be a standalone monitoring system or the cameras could by part of an integrated security system. Either way, they are there for security.

• Like 1