I am Done With Thai Retirement Extensions - Relocating to Ecuador or Mexico on Permanent Residency

sam6345

1 minute ago, Jeffr2 said:

Increase in traffic, big time.  Huge build up pretty much all over the country, but especially in the tourist hot spots.  Nothing like 15 years ago.  And a huge increase in prices as they've tried to go upscale in every tourist hot spot.  Even going after street food vendors in Bangkok.  Which for me, was one of the biggest attractions.  Never had to worry about visas back then.  It was a breeze.  Police are going crazy with alcohol checkpoints (which is kinda a good thing).  Weekend traffic in areas near Bangkok now is insane.  Etc, etc, etc.

Not trying to bitch, I still love Thailand, but I'm not going to look at it through rose colored glasses either.

Yes, I agree. It was so much better when horses ruled the roads......

• Sad 2
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

As one who has become notoriously well known for getting into the weeds on retirement visa / residency details of nations other than Thailand, I would suggest Mexico over Ecuador. Ecuador is going to give you a big problem with their requirements (MULTIPLE APPLICATIONS) for apostilled police reports from Thailand that have freshness expiration dates. Their immigration offices have no flexibility whatsoever on that matter. 

Even better: Colombia. Fantastic destination, very modern infrastructure, significantly less expensive than Mexico, excellent and required to enroll health system. and no hassles with police reports (they'll just check Interpol themselves). Yes, there are safe cities there. Just avoid Bogota, Cartegena, Cali, and unfortunately now even Medellin. However if you have high global income, then choose Mexico, and Colombia will tax that. Both offer easy enough paths to permanent residency. 

Have you actually lived in these places?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KarenBravo said:

Yes, I agree. It was so much better when horses ruled the roads......

A bit ridiculous.  But the traffic has increased significantly.  As you well know.  They're doing some 60-80k new cars sales here now, compared with about 20k 20 years ago.  Thus...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rott said:

You've been here 15 years and you still call it an annual extension of visa.? No wonder newbies know nothing and continue to call it a retirement visa. It is an extension of permission to stay. 

Not having a go at you at all. 

Just a dinosaur who growls inwardly when I hear "Ferrang" and "PatTAYa" and retirement visa (unless it's an OA). 

Nevertheless, there is a small sign at the TM at Chaeng Wattana that announces this section is the place for extending visas.  

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

I was making a very valid point.

Don't expect today to be the same as twenty years ago.

You can either try and change the world, which is not easy, or you can change yourself and your expectations. One will give you a heart attack and the other peace of mind. Up-to-you.

Totally understood.  But not every place in the world has changed as much as here.  We live in one of the fastest growing areas in the world.  Asia.  Impossible to change, so we'll move on to another location.  Which will have issues just like here.  No stress. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

4 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

The OP specifically mentioned annual extensions and related matters.

Nothing of change in general life (BTW that occurs everywhere) 

That's an issue also.  Kinda getting old to have to do this along with 90 day reports.  But not a deal killer for me.

Just now, Jeffr2 said:

That's an issue also.  Kinda getting old to have to do this along with 90 day reports.  But not a deal killer for me.

No doubt there are many stupid requirements. Think 90 day reporting near top of the tree.

BTW...with online not working for me I have become very familiar with mail in.

One nice thing CW does is to return my pp photocopies and new TM47 form. I fill it in straight away dated and signed and wait for the 15 day window to come around to post. Stupid but not difficult.

The change to the TM30 was a welcome one. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

No doubt there are many stupid requirements. Think 90 day reporting near top of the tree.

BTW...with online not working for me I have become very familiar with mail in.

One nice thing CW does is to return my pp photocopies and new TM47 form. I fill it in straight away dated and signed and wait for the 15 day window to come around to post. Stupid but not difficult.

The change to the TM30 was a welcome one. 

I use to enjoy the 90 day report.  Go to Jomtien, spend a few minutes there getting it done, then go for a walk down the beach and have lunch.  Not a biggie.  Jomtien got their act together with regards to this and the retirement renewal.  Both quick and relatively easy now.  Just have to play the game of what copies do they want this time. LOL

I did get the online one to work recently.  But that was the first time in years! LOL

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, cmarshall said:

Nevertheless, there is a small sign at the TM at Chaeng Wattana that announces this section is the place for extending visas.  

That does not surprise me, they have to dumb down for the lumpen proletariat. 

But it does not say visa  in the passport. 

7 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

Total: 1 hr 40 minutes/per report x 4-5 reports per year = 6.6 to 8.3 hours per year. Please note that you usually make the 90 day report by mail before the expiration date. Immigration tells you you should post it at least 10 days ahead of expiration. After you have mailed it, it's still in the back of your mind, because you're waiting for the receipt. That usually takes at least another 10 days for immigration and the postal service to return the new receipt. So that's 20 days when it's in the back of your mind and that 20 day process happens 4 times a year.

Sounds like a huge effort,

I do the CM drivethrough, 12Km from my house, do a bit of shopping in town, drive through with my passport and application form (2-5 mins). Say "Hello Google set an alarm for xxxx"

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

My so called "simple" 90 day reporting by mail routine (on line system doesn't work, immigration is 110 km away):

gather up photocopies of my passport, last entry stamp, departure card, original of receipt of notification (10-15 minutes), fill out new 90 day report, find envelope, and address envelope, write address envelope, (8 minutes), fill out self-addressed envelope (3 minutes). Double and triple check everything again (5 minutes) (Total time 26-31 minutes)

If I have run out of photocopies, or if any of the documents have been updated since last 90 day report (I've left the country and received a new entry stamp or departure card) I have to go to go to the photocopy shop and make photocopies of the necessary documents on way to post-office to mail registered letter 90 day report.

(drive to and from post office and possibly photocopy shop 16 km away = 1 hour).

Upon returning home, after receiving postal receipt for 90 day report, I have to set a reminder on my computer to make sure the new 90 day receipt is received.

(10 minutes).

Once 90 day report is received, the envelope is opened, the new reporting date is noted, the new 90 day receipt is stapled in my passport, and a new reminder to make the next 90 day report has to made. (5 minutes).

Almost always the immigration office counts from when they receive the 90 day report, even if it is before the expiration of the old receipt. As a result, I end up having to do five 90 day reports per year, even if I renew my annual visa 30 days in advance of expiration.

Recap:

Preparing documents, addressing envelope, and self-addressed envelope and double checking documents (approx 30 minutes)

Travel to post office, waiting in line, paying postage, and receiving receipt, and possible trip to photocopy shop (1 hour).

Setting a reminder to ensure new 90 day receipt is received, and once new report date is known, setting reminder for filing new report. (10 minutes)

Total: 1 hr 40 minutes/per report x 4-5 reports per year = 6.6 to 8.3 hours per year. Please note that you usually make the 90 day report by mail before the expiration date. Immigration tells you you should post it at least 10 days ahead of expiration. After you have mailed it, it's still in the back of your mind, because you're waiting for the receipt. That usually takes at least another 10 days for immigration and the postal service to return the new receipt. So that's 20 days when it's in the back of your mind and that 20 day process happens 4 times a year.

So while you're "only" spending upwards of 6-8 hours per year filling out, preparing and mailing your 90 day reports, every 90 days you go through a 20 day loop where you have to remain cognizant of the upcoming report date and await receipt of the new receipt.

I've been doing this for 18 straight years, all while living at the same address. Never been fined for late reporting. But it does wear on you over time, and becomes more tedious the older you get. It feels like an endless cycle of reporting. That's why people become so fatigued by the 90 day reporting process over time.

One word - Agent

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1