Thai Baht, increasing in value??

Courageous Teflon Baht is pushing once more € down .....

(would like to transfer my ฿ to € land at 36.50 ???? , seems coming in that range by end month ???????? )

https://ttexchange.com/?fbclid=IwAR2XnLl8rwxpbwnZ3qawxdXenMVdsR8pWWMKPG08lsqI8zTdv1zjVCNsQJc

2021-11-16_101614.png

Edited by david555

12 hours ago, ourdon said:

Crikey, I think the dam baht is up about 8% over the Canadian dollar in the last month.  David555, I'm glad it's good news for someone.

It's surely made life more difficult over here.

"David555, I'm glad it's good news for someone. "

Oh it may go up for your currency's after my transfers , then i do not need it anymore before another 6 month's for my last transfer  batch then ????

But the too high Gold price is worrying ....that point to bad future things could happen ????

Yo Nuff - 

Markets like currencies and stocks and bonds fluctuate... if this small fluctuation worries or effects you, just look at the $$ back in January... on a yearly basis we are doing quite well... but you really can't go in the ocean and not expect any waves... right?

This has been going on all of your life... where you been dude? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Good news for many , bad news for me € is climbing light against ฿ ,.....????

However  it is weekend rate.... so all take safe positions for 2 days .....my hope for further downwards keep existing ????

T.T. Currency Exchange (ttexchange.com)

2021-11-20_121420.png

Edited by david555

On 11/8/2021 at 7:01 PM, KarenBravo said:

Thai trade surplus and a hawkish central bank (according to what I've read).

Out of curiosity by "trade surplus" do you mean that point in time between the submarines and the attack aircraft where the military junta sold large portions of the stored rice reserves to foreign countries rather than feed their own people???

KB, I'm not poking at you, it's just that the inequities sometimes just can't be ignored. 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Thai baht rising ...? NO !...more the Euro again  diving .....,as under 37  baht worth  now....????,

Anyway  the ruble is super diving at 0.36 with all that war threatening doing ????

For those monthly transferring from Euro  in to Thailand keep an eye you send enough for your immigration needs 

Pity i only need to buy € (Send to Europe) in 4 month's time a big lot again ????

2022-02-14_133822.png

Edited by david555

10 minutes ago, david555 said:

Thai baht rising ...? NO !...more the Euro again  diving .....,as under 37  baht worth  now....????,

Anyway  the ruble is super diving at 0.36 with all that war threatening doing ????

For those monthly transferring from Euro  in to Thailand keep an eye you send enough for your immigration needs 

Pity i only need to buy € (Send to Europe) in 4 month's time a big lot again ????

2022-02-14_133822.png

Thai Baht is gaining against most currencies.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

On 11/9/2021 at 9:52 AM, tonray said:

You know...I transferred money last month for a car purchase (which I am having 2nd thoughts about due to immigration's continued assault on my OA Visa)....could probably make a couple grand US (depending on fees) if I reverse transfer if the baht gains a bit more. Hmm....

Reverse transfer? By what method?

1 hour ago, EricTh said:

Yes, Thai baht is gaining strength recently due to opening up of Thailand tourism from 1 Feb.

I know they are forcing all arrivals to pay for two PCR tests and quarantine hotel, but we are talking about at most 50,000 people. It is their exports which drives demand for their currency, not currently tourism.

Somewhat surprisingly, GDP only fell 6% in 2020 where the country was shut down and trade surplus increased to $25bn. Though a contributing factor to the increased surplus could be decreased imports, and I am not sure how much their stimulis packages factor into GDP, I have not dug into the numbers.

31 minutes ago, lkn said:

I know they are forcing all arrivals to pay for two PCR tests and quarantine hotel, but we are talking about at most 50,000 people. It is their exports which drives demand for their currency, not currently tourism.

Somewhat surprisingly, GDP only fell 6% in 2020 where the country was shut down and trade surplus increased to $25bn. Though a contributing factor to the increased surplus could be decreased imports, and I am not sure how much their stimulis packages factor into GDP, I have not dug into the numbers.

"I know they are forcing all arrivals to pay for two PCR tests and quarantine hotel, but we are talking about at most 50,000 people. It is their exports which drives demand for their currency, not currently tourism."

About that ....

well today already 3 times the yellow half open truck ,with ambulance sirene and lights on AND with persons inside and luggage  speeding on  Theprasit rd. (1 time accompanied with real ambulance )  down from Sukhumvit rd. and later empty again up to S. again , seems busy business the quarantaine hotel in Pattaya now with the new arrivals .......????

but probably infections on the  rise soon again also ....

Edited by david555
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, EricTh said:

Exchange rate is based on currency speculators of what the future exchange rate would be, not so much on current economics.

And what determines the future exchange rate?

Sure, speculation happens, but mostly when fundamentals are out of whack with actual prices. E.g. if you currently think baht is overvalued, you would take out a billion baht loan and then pay it back when the baht has decreased in value to reflect actual demand.

Speculating about a currency going up, if there is no actual demand, is a bit foolish, because if the price gets too high, and it starts to hurt the Thai export, the Central Bank of Thailand can just print a few billion baht and sell into the market for EUR, USD, or JPY. Speculating on a currency going down is “safer” because here intervention from the Central Bank will require them to have enough currency reserves to keep the price from falling below their target. The Central Bank of Thailand though have $250bn worth of foreign currency in their reserves, so I wouldn’t go one on one with them.

1 hour ago, EricTh said:

Stock market prices and currency work almost the same. They are controlled by speculators.

I am not sure what you mean by “speculators”. Sure, when you buy a stock, you are “speculating” about the future cashflow of the company, but based on the last few quarterly earning reports, company’s own guidance, and macroeconomic news.

Of course if you are day trading, you are participating in a Keynesian beauty contest, because you just don’t have enough up-to-date information, so that field is more about speculation.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, lkn said:

And what determines the future exchange rate?

Sure, speculation happens, but mostly when fundamentals are out of whack with actual prices. E.g. if you currently think baht is overvalued, you would take out a billion baht loan and then pay it back when the baht has decreased in value to reflect actual demand.

Speculating about a currency going up, if there is no actual demand, is a bit foolish, because if the price gets too high, and it starts to hurt the Thai export, the Central Bank of Thailand can just print a few billion baht and sell into the market for EUR, USD, or JPY. Speculating on a currency going down is “safer” because here intervention from the Central Bank will require them to have enough currency reserves to keep the price from falling below their target. The Central Bank of Thailand though have $250bn worth of foreign currency in their reserves, so I wouldn’t go one on one with them.

I am not sure what you mean by “speculators”. Sure, when you buy a stock, you are “speculating” about the future cashflow of the company, but based on the last few quarterly earning reports, company’s own guidance, and macroeconomic news.

Of course if you are day trading, you are participating in a Keynesian beauty contest, because you just don’t have enough up-to-date information, so that field is more about speculation.

I was just replying to some people who said that Thailand's economy is now bad so why is the Thai baht suddenly so strong?

Speculation plays a big part but it's not the only factor. It was based on future economic prospects of Thailand judging from current economic policies, political stability and trade surplus/deficit.  

The 1st Feb tourism opening was the catalyst for the surge recently.

It's still strengthening today.

Edited by EricTh
  • Sad 2