Thailand steps up efforts to attract more expats

webfact

55 minutes ago, edwarda909 said:

What about the millions of doses of vaccines donated?  You don't hear any official announcements of thanks.

And I doubt the LOAN of 300,000 AZ from Bhutan will not be returned by year end ( 2021 ) as per the deal several months back........

Giving the shaft to the thousands of expats who are raising Thai families here

including children from previous Thai husbands seems to count for nothing.

The rich will quickly see that bringing money INTO Thailand is Easy.

Taking it OUT, good luck with that.  They will go elsewhere.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mokwit said:

They have yet to perfect the "stay at home and send the money visa", but are sure with enough effort they can crack this one.

Evidence that you are right about this is the Thailand Pass which: 1) requires that you buy an expensive airline ticket, hotel room, PCR test, and insurance before applying, then, 2) frustrates the <deleted> out of the applicant making them want to give up on the trip altogether. 

• Like 1

Gentlemen... (ladies here?  Are there?)

The whole world only wants the rich.  Rich immigrants.  There is a mini war on earth wide for them.  It is much easier to get into a country if you are wealthy than not.  ????  Don't take it personal.

But look at how low Thailand is starting to go.  That is really what is remarkable.  

At this rate, it will be "Thailand, we will take anyone".  Send your invalids, sick, depressed to the land of smiles.  Thai food saves like jesus christ.  Come to the altar and bring your pension.  

Oh how the wine talks.  Oh how it does talk....

1 hour ago, 1FinickyOne said:

plenty plenty plenty of dual pricing in USA... 

I'm sure you have examples but for the life of me I can't come up with one that that is a common occurrence or impacts may expats in America. 

Double pricing here only costs me 1-2k ( mostly public parks) baht a year unless I'm running races and then it can get to be ridiculous.  Some races have wanted 100% to 200% more and also excluded us from most the prize money.  In the end, it isn't a huge concern.

Edited by atpeace
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, JCP108 said:

Evidence that you are right about this is the Thailand Pass which: 1) requires that you buy an expensive airline ticket, hotel room, PCR test, and insurance before applying, then, 2) frustrates the <deleted> out of the applicant making them want to give up on the trip altogether. 

Keeping on my jesus theme (nobody else is noticing or caring, and rightfully so), I'd rather be nailed to a cross by my genitals than go through all that right now.  

I share your pain - it's beyond ridiculous and what in the living devil are you going to do there anyways?  Thailand we all knew is dead and gone.  

5 minutes ago, atpeace said:

I'm sure you have examples but for the life of me I can't come up with one that that is a common occurrence or impacts may expats in America. 

Double pricing here only costs me 1-2k ( mostly public parks) baht a year unless I'm running races and then it can get to be ridiculous.  Some races have wanted 100% to 200% more and also excluded us from most the prize money.  In the end, it isn't a huge concern.

Local county golf courses charge more for people out of county....

State Universities are far more expensive for people in state than out of state...

Thai pricing at public parks doesn't bother me at all... 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Government spokesperson Thanakorn Wangboonkongchana said there are still many pros and cons to consider before any formal announcement regarding long term residency for foreigners is made.

Of course. This proposal will be handed down from one committee to the next, and ultimately die a slow death or get implemented in the most convoluted and unattractive form possible.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

Local county golf courses charge more for people out of county....

State Universities are far more expensive for people in state than out of state...

Thai pricing at public parks doesn't bother me at all... 

I doubt these impact many expats in the USA but probably better examples.  Not a big deal here either but the National parks usual at least 5x more and sometimes 10x more.  That is a little excessive?

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Blumpie said:

Keeping on my jesus theme (nobody else is noticing or caring, and rightfully so), I'd rather be nailed to a cross by my genitals than go through all that right now.  

I share your pain - it's beyond ridiculous and what in the living devil are you going to do there anyways?  Thailand we all knew is dead and gone.  

I'm a motivated traveler. I had retired to Thailand pre-pandemic, had to come back to the U.S. during the pandemic for some urgent family matters, and want to get back to Thailand to be with wife (who is waiting a very, very long time for her U.S. visa due to the Trump administration completing <deleted>-ing up the immigration process). So, I'm not a typical tourist (like many others trying to travel to Thailand right now). If I were just looking for a nice holidy, no way would I put up with all of these frustrations. I expect that is true for many and their insane system will deter many would-be tourists. 

• Thanks 1

The expats would be divided into four groups:

1. ‘Rich’ global citizens

2. ‘Wealthy’ retirees

3. Digital nomads - or professionals working from Thailand

4. Highly skilled professionals

---------------

* So what can one understand from this - that skin color does not seem to be important as long as you have enough money ...?... 

• Like 1

I would like to tell my prospective tourists that during the time Thailand was closed due to Covid  we have been working hard towards improving aspects that we know needed serious attention, so that the amazing Thailand you once knew really is more amazing!

We have cleaned up all of our Country, our beaches  are clean, the sea is warm and refreshing and clean.

Many organisations at local level especially in main tourist areas have been working together with Hoteliers, transport, particularly taxis and local businesses who know only too well that the new cleaner Thailand is ready to provide quality service with the famous Thai smile and be sincere with it!

Come to Thailand and enjoy yourselves; you are very welcome and you will feel welcome, safe and hopefully our efforts to educate people who might otherwise try to cheat you have understood the message, that leaves their customers wanting more and keep coming back!

Sincerely,

All of the Thai Government and Tourism agencies.

Edited by ChrisKC
typo

7 hours ago, mokwit said:

They have yet to perfect the "stay at home and send the money visa", but are sure with enough effort they can crack this one.

They already have that Visa...it's called the "Bar Girl Visa". 

Very simple to obtain...no paperwork...no visits to Immigration.  Any bar girl can issue this Visa. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Fujionrye said:

I'm in Canada and, as of today, I can drive across the American border with proof of Vaccination and my passport. That's it. No Covid insurance, Covid test, foolish paper work, visa, or quarantine. With my Canadian passport, I can stay six months Go anywhere, stay anywhere and not report anything to anyone. So that's the competition Thailand. Go for it.

Yes it is easy but at the end of the day you will be either in Canada, US or Mexico, big deal. prefer to be in Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, atpeace said:

I doubt these impact many expats in the USA but probably better examples.  Not a big deal here either but the National parks usual at least 5x more and sometimes 10x more.  That is a little excessive?

well, 5x 30 is 150 baht... = $5

golf in usa?? - maybe 2x ?? but 2x $50 is much more to be concerned about. 

There are all sorts of things, Sr. Discounts etc... but basically, you are in another culture with their own way of doing things... as in your culture, you have your own way of doing things - - I mean, you don't come to Siam and expect everything to be the same as St. Louis, right? 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

well, 5x 30 is 150 baht... = $5

golf in usa?? - maybe 2x ?? but 2x $50 is much more to be concerned about. 

There are all sorts of things, Sr. Discounts etc... but basically, you are in another culture with their own way of doing things... as in your culture, you have your own way of doing things - - I mean, you don't come to Siam and expect everything to be the same as St. Louis, right? 

No, just a discussion of double pricing.  Think you may be taking it too seriously.  Anyhow, wish it didn't exist but it is what it is.  Most parks I go to are more than 150.  Closer to 400 but get your point.

3 hours ago, BE88 said:

1. ‘Rich’ global citizens                                                                       Replay.  Thailand no, I am global

2. ‘Wealthy’ retirees                                                                           Replay.  Thailand is it a tax haven?

3. Digital nomads - or professionals working from Thailand         Replay.  May be, but "Not tax free offer"

4. Highly skilled professionals.                                                          Replay.    Pattaya closed

5. Retirement 0-A   O                                                                         Replay.    Many of my friends have already left and others are leaving

Mistake # 5 was not mentioned

Considering you are not taxed for oversea income, Thailand can be made a tax haven. Of course, it depends on circumstances, tax treaties, and so on.