Overstay.

A friend is being treated for stage 3 cancer, chemo & all.  Lost all income when Covid travel restrictions made his work impossible. Now near destitute, diagnosed a year ago.

It appears he is on significant overstay but I'm not sure, depending if he qualified for the progressive visa amnesty's ongoing since the Covid crisis began.

Visa details.  Last visa: METV, issued in Melbourne Dec, 2019.  Last date of entry Feb:2020.  I do not know if he had another entry between the issue date and the February date so I guess we must assume he was on the 2nd entry of his METV.  There were no extensions.

Is he on about 16 month OS or does he fall under the visa amnesty's?

Edited by dddave

15 minutes ago, dddave said:

depending if he qualified for the progressive visa amnesty's ongoing since the Covid crisis began.

He might also have been eligible for 90-day medical extensions under para 2.25 of Police Order 327/2557 (see item 12 in the pinned thread at https://aseannow.com/topic/981135-laws-regulations-police-orders-etc/). But whether he has actually obtained any such extension is another matter.

• Thanks 1

Covid Amnesty Expired 30 Sept. Then New Visa needed by your Friend to stay legally here.

Covid Extention or Longstay Visa. NOT “ Automatic” !  That was the one time Covid Amnesty Only. Otherwise appears 13 month overstay. coinciding with the shock cancer diagnosis though so some possible mitigation there……Ideally needs a top Immi. Lawyer / Agent to best present case to Immi. Do Not go to Immi. without prior Lawyer Declaration and Lawyer Present. He must now Declare to Immi. to avoid possible Jail if Caught Undeclared.

• Confused 1

26 minutes ago, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

He must now Declare to Immi. to avoid possible Jail if Caught Undeclared.

He go to jail every other place than in airport when leave Thailand. He is overstay no lawyer can chance that. He need get out of country and pay fine in airport and he going to get entering ban also coz so long overstay IMO

Edited by 2 is 1

42 minutes ago, OJAS said:

He might also have been eligible for 90-day medical extensions under para 2.25 of Police Order 327/2557 (see item 12 in the pinned thread at https://aseannow.com/topic/981135-laws-regulations-police-orders-etc/). But whether he has actually obtained any such extension is another matter.

Thanks for this.  I was unable to access item 12, Google Docs access for the creator required.  How did you open it?

16 minutes ago, dddave said:

Thanks for this.  I was unable to access item 12, Google Docs access for the creator required.  How did you open it?

It seems the admin that posted the link now requires authorized person to open it.

This download will work.

Immigration Bureau Order 327-2557 (2014) - extension criteria & conditions th.pdf

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, 2 is 1 said:

He go to jail every other place than in airport when leave Thailand. He is overstay no lawyer can chance that. He need get out of country and pay fine in airport and he going to get entering ban also coz so long overstay IMO

chance what ? leave country how ? max. allowed fine covers 40 days overstay. he’s around 400 days.

jail possible for even one day overstay. well - connected lawyer required. 

5 hours ago, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

Covid Amnesty Expired 30 Sept. Then New Visa needed by your Friend to stay legally here.

Covid Extention or Longstay Visa. NOT “ Automatic” !  That was the one time Covid Amnesty Only. Otherwise appears 13 month overstay. coinciding with the shock cancer diagnosis though so some possible mitigation there……Ideally needs a top Immi. Lawyer / Agent to best present case to Immi. Do Not go to Immi. without prior Lawyer Declaration and Lawyer Present. He must now Declare to Immi. to avoid possible Jail if Caught Undeclared.

Hmmm....what does that mean? Maybe you should just go to the ATM one more time.

• Confused 1

In for a penny in for a pound, no point panicking now if already on 1yr+ overstay, he might as well stay under the radar now, and focus on his treatment and recovery,  hopefully hospital is oblivious to it - presume government hospital and somehow paying for it so they're unlikely to make a fuss.. When he does recover though he'll have to make a choice of continuing under the radar (with that risk over your head from rest of life) or leaving thailand with a ban..  Hope your friend gets better..

The lawyer idea I doubt is feasible if destitute. They don't work probono in Thailand

Edited by asiam110
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, jackdd said:

If you officially declare yourself as being on overstay (=surrender to police), immigration police would have to arrest you and send you to IDC to have you deported.

Luckily immigration is lazy, and in this case they would simply tell the person to head to the airport and leave Thailand, without making it official.

Your advice is just wrong, and OP's friend could potentially end up in IDC where he might die considering his condition. Stop giving such bad advice.

you have not been paying attention. recommending lawyer is hardly bad advice. police surrender is your daft idea.just leave at the airport ? with 400 day overstay ? without arrest / jail / deportation/ five year ban ? if that’s possible, everybody could overstay as no need for visa extentions, reporting or any local immigration at all. stop talking nonsense. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, asiam110 said:

A potential question is if there is any discretion in applying the 5 year ban if he argues the case about being unable due to cancer to consider the circumstance in full mind (the drugs for cancer and chemo have very toxic effect on the mind - ive seen this before - people are certainly not themselves), however this is something to be considered after treatment imo if he's already this far down the road

In theory, an official of the appropriate rank does have the ability to reduce or waive the blacklisting. However, the chance of this at Suvarnabhumi without the use of an intermediary with a very fat brown envelope is nil. It has apparently been known for someone leaving through U-Tapao to have the blacklisting waived by sympathetic officials without the payment of any special fees.

3 hours ago, bangkokbonecollector said:

Whatever your friend ends up doing, I think getting a medical note from a Dr that he indeed has cancer will go a long way in possibly helping him get out of the country without financial burden. If it is stage 3 then surely that is classed as an emergency and he needs to get back to straya for treatment forthwith. I am sure the straya embassy could help in ensuring that Immigration go easy on him. The key is having the proof that he indeed does have cancer so I would do that first, then contact his embassy and then they or he can arrange some sort of amnesty.

Chok dee to your friend, hope he is better soon.

I would like to think his medical condition will generate extenuating circumstances

• Haha 1

As mentioned in previous responses his best bet at this point in time is to contact a reputable  immigration lawyer to explore exactly what options are available and how best to deal with his current circumstance. The downside risk being once the issue is raised with immigration the clock will be literally ticking as to future outcomes. Would suggest whatever decision he arrives at in dealing with this issue he keeps his passport handy and the contact details of an immigration lawyer along with the phone number for Consular Section at the Australian Embassy. I can only wish the best for his future prognosis in dealing with this insidious disease      

• Like 1