TOP 40 Things: Greatest about Scotland and People hailing from Scotland. Can we name all 40?

GammaGlobulin

45 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Many moons ago I was working field service and had to visit the Timex factory in Dundee (it really was a long time ago).

I was there for a week and stayed in a super pub/hotel, sadly I forget the name.

First morning I was treated to a full Scottish breakfast, delicious, of course I scoffed the lot.

Second morning I was also treated to a full Scottish, actually it was fuller, having more eggs, bacon, haggis (wild) and toast. Again I scoffed the lot (didn't need lunch that day).

By the thrid morning the breakfast had grown to epic proportions, so I asked the waitress what the score was. "The chef doesn't like people to leave hungry! He catches most English like that. Just leave 1/2 a piece of bacon".

Next morning the breakfast was back to the day two size. The chef did come out and ask if I wanted any more.

Funny that as I was always taught no matter how good the food you always leave a little something.???? Still do to this day.!

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Funny that as I was always taught no matter how good the food you always leave a little something.???? Still do to this day.!

Yeah, as a boomer in the UK I was always treated to the "there are starving kids who would eat that" if I tried leaving anything. Mop the plate with the bread too...

• Like 1

They invented all the really cool <deleted>, without which I doubt this discussion would be happening. The tv, the telephone, the bicycle, the steam train, penicillin, golf, the fridge, flushing toilets, the toaster. Where would you be without these things? They pretty much saved the planet right their building cool stuff. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Bangel72 said:

They invented all the really cool <deleted>, without which I doubt this discussion would be happening. The tv, the telephone, the bicycle, the steam train, penicillin, golf, the fridge, flushing toilets, the toaster. Where would you be without these things? They pretty much saved the planet right their building cool stuff. 

Not forgetting Scotty in the engineroom on the Star Treck,

It is a fact that many large boats  do have a Scottish engineer.

The nicest folk are at both ends of the UK, Scotland and Cornwall,

those in the middle are questionable, thats where I am.

23 hours ago, Crossy said:

That's where you are going wrong! You have to chase them across the hill in the "wrong" direction which puts the longer legs on the uphill side, they overbalance and roll down the hill. Easy to catch whilst they are still dizzy.

I was talking about the 4 legged variety who only go up and down hills and I'll be dammed if I'm running uphill to chase them!

I agree about your 3 legged ones that only go round in circles and never go up or down are easily bowled over.

I believe this is also the basis for sayings about Scotsmen getting legless- it is to do with them getting drunk  and chasing  the Haggi on the legless side!

• Haha 1

I am Scottish, so here is my take. I am not proud to be Scottish and am not patriotic to either Scotland or the UK.

Let's take the Republic of Ireland, these brave people fought and died for their independence from the UK while the Scots can't even put an X of a bit of paper for there independence.

So there you have it.

1 minute ago, treetops said:

Better to have the brains the Scots showed.

The brains of the average working class Scot is "My father voted Labour so I must vote labour". Although there is more of a swing to the SNP now.

I have voted SNP all my life, but if I lived in Scotland now I certainly would not, the reason for that would be too controversal on this forum.