Tourist faces huge bill, separation from family after testing positive on arrival in Thailand

webfact

1 hour ago, shady86 said:

I guess more test results will be manipulated soon so they can suck every single penny from the unfortunate ones. I wonder if the positive figures are actually real? 

If you believe EVERYBODY in Thailand is here "to get you" why are you even here??

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

30 minutes ago, WHansen said:

You do understand that if you sat next to a positive case on the plane, got sent into quarantine or hospital and did not test positive yourself, your insurance would not pay out ?

Has anyone who has not tested positive been sent to the hospital? It does not cover quarantining in a hotel, true but not surprising. You do understand I'm not defending the circumstances, I just answered the question.

8 hours ago, Chris.B said:

350,000 baht hospital bill, nearly £8,000 for 10 day stay! Must be a good room at 35,000 baht a night!

it's not that shocking at all. You can check some private hospitals online and find out they do charge 20-30kbht for a room/day. So the extra 5kbht for some care, food, treatment and ,in this case probably, alot of desinfecting products is quickly spend.

I'm sure he wasn't send to a public hospital. I went to a hospital in Bkk (think sukhum 4 or 5) with a high fever from flue. Had an injection, x-ray and some meds: bill was 2350bht in 2011.

And it's not different in many countries at all. I have seen before/after bills in Belgium too. Bills of 10-15k€ reduced to 200-300€ after healthcare.

Anyway why would he worry. He must have the 100k$ covid insurance or he couldn't get in Thailand could he?!

• Confused 1

I don't understand this statement here.

Kirovs estimates he may have to pay 350,000 Baht towards hospital and quarantine fees if his insurance provider won’t cover it.

I though the compulsory health insurance is supposed to pay for it? If not, what is the insurance for?

9 minutes ago, EricTh said:

Kirovs estimates he may have to pay 350,000 Baht towards hospital and quarantine fees if his insurance provider won’t cover it.

I though the compulsory health insurance is supposed to pay for it? If not, what is the insurance for?

He's asymptomatic so he may have bought insurance that doesn't cover his circumstances. What it teaches you is to stop taking your meds if you test positive so you don't get screwed. I'm going off my bp meds to prepare for a possible + result. And if I have a stroke? I have health insurance so I'm good. ????  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, wprime said:

Congratulations Kirovs. You're the reason we have these rules, because you can't be trusted to protect yourself from the virus before traveling.

Enjoy your 350,000 baht bill.

Congratulations. You're far ahead in the run to the "most-disgusting-post-2021" award.

I think wprime was just being sarcastic 

• Like 1

The risk may be small but it is real. Who wants to be caught in this expensive trap.?

The Thai government are duty bound to spell out the consequences and the costs.

They don't because of course spelling it out is going to put people off.

Insurers offering this cover need to say spell out whether or not they cover symptomless hospitalisations AND the Thai requirement to quarantine in a hotel for 14 days if you are negative but you've been close to a positive case.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, EricTh said:

the insurance is because the thai authorities are paranoid, and have a bee in their bonnet,  about foreigners being unable to pay hospital bills. they don't seem to have the same paranoia about foreigners being unable to pay hotel bills.

Edited by it is what it is
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Russell17au said:

So if you show a positive test result to the current worlds most contagious virus you are not sick so you do not need to be hospitalised? So as far a concerned you must wait until a person is dying before they are taken to hospital for treatment. The people that I know who have had a positive result to this virus has been taken to hospital where they received treatment to try a minimise the affect and to try and stop it from progressing further. Which is something that they do not get when in Quarantine.

At this stage in the pandemic you’re not aware that most people do not get very sick? Of all the people I know personally, in different countries the only person who needed to be hospitalised was my brother in law. Your understanding seems to be limited at best.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, James105 said:

Hopefully this will serve as a warning to other tourists intending to come here and they can make arrangements to go on holiday to an alternative country.   Many people were asking the question of what happens if someone tests positive on arrival and of course there was no clear answer and many suspected it would be the absolute horror show that it is. 

This testing + quarantine on arrival + insurance + expensive imprisonment for positive test (or negative test when near to someone positive) will only stop when the tourists vote with their wallets as this will force them to come up with more sensible requirements to come here, such as simply showing proof of vaccination and nothing else other than passport.  

Proof of vaccination does not exclude testing positive for Covid...just test before departure and test on arrival would be much more logical I would think...

7 minutes ago, Time Traveller said:

As long as there is involuntary quarantine,  why would anyone ever decide to travel to Thailand? 

Maybe he was clueless, or maybe just an idiot. Thailand sure does attract them

Well, at least in years to come you’ll be able to travel back in time and look at yourself making this comment to draw the same conclusions I (many) have just made when reading this !!! 

You are suggesting anyone who gets on a plane to Thailand right now is an idiot or clueless - yet thousands are doing so each day...  More clueless would be to single out this as idiotic in comparison to all the other risks ignored in Thailand - in balance, the risk of testing positive in Test and Go is significantly less than catching Covid-19 in country. 

(0.12% of Sandboxers tested positive for Covid-19 / 2.8% of the Thai Population has had Covid-19).

I would agree with you, Thailand does attract them - the proof is in the pudding exampled by yourself..... irony huh !

12 minutes ago, Time Traveller said:

As long as there is involuntary quarantine,  why would anyone ever decide to travel to Thailand? 

Maybe he was clueless, or maybe just an idiot. Thailand sure does attract them

So maybe i'm  an idiot but when you go away your home road risk , islam extremist risk, illness risk ,then you safety join the airport and a terrorist alarm and your flight cancelled

then your next flight crash etc...

Etc

but that's is nothing compare to my wife (she want to travel since 2 years...)

So ratus an idiot will take the risk

Why because 

if Thailand is so much an interesting place it's because of all the reason you expose in that thread

not for Wat ,not for Smile etc 

12 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Not only if you test positive but as in the OP even if you test negative and were next to someone in the car or plane you still get carted off for 2 weeks. I doubt any International Insurance companies will pay out for this? Even if they do you also need to ensure they pay out there and then and not make you pay first.  Probably only Thai Insurance companies will cover this.

I will never go back to Thailand with such a risk. Going to quarantine only because you were seated by someone positive!

• Like 1