Tourist faces huge bill, separation from family after testing positive on arrival in Thailand

webfact

On 11/10/2021 at 6:43 AM, LukKrueng said:

26 out of 25,000 is 0.1 %

Yeah 10% of people that supposedly have 2 covid injections and tested before departure. But in 24 hours they have a breakthrough case and get covid? Sounds like a high ratio to me. 1 person in every 1,000. Should be more like 1 every 25,000. I wouldn't be surprised if some official is running a scam. Recently there was a foreigner living in Thailand who sued a hospital for being double or triple charged for medical treatment. At the moment he lost the case. The Judges reason was it was okay to charge foreigners more because it was "Good for the Thai Economy." I wouldn't be surprised if something like that was happening now.

5 minutes ago, Prince77 said:

I am irritated - why should he pay anything when one pre-condition coming back to Thailand is an insurance covering at least 50K US$ in case of a Covid infection (whether with symptoms or without)?

I think the reality is they want you to pay first because they know any reasonable insurance provider will say "you having a laugh?" so there exists a risk they wont get anywhere near what they wanted..

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Stargeezr said:

My wife's Thai family told us to stay away until next Winter, because of conditions, and the restrictions

and even the risks of catching COVID during the long flight from Canada to Thailand.  They all stay cautious

and the older relatives stay at home mostly except to escape the city with a family vehicle and enjoy a break 

in the country at a park, and away from people.  The members who work in Bangkok are fearful every day of

catching COVID and spreading it amongst the family. When they ride the BTS, and see people who are coughing

and sneezing, they worry about just what is causing that person to be traveling when they are sick with anything.

So 2022 Fall or Winter is when my wife and I will be taking our chances on Thailand.

Good luck to all of you.

Geezer

Do you believe in ghosts and put amulets around your house.

14 hours ago, firemans35 said:

Yeah 10% of people that supposedly have 2 covid injections and tested before departure. But in 24 hours they have a breakthrough case and get covid? Sounds like a high ratio to me. 1 person in every 1,000. Should be more like 1 every 25,000. I wouldn't be surprised if some official is running a scam. Recently there was a foreigner living in Thailand who sued a hospital for being double or triple charged for medical treatment. At the moment he lost the case. The Judges reason was it was okay to charge foreigners more because it was "Good for the Thai Economy." I wouldn't be surprised if something like that was happening now.

0.1%, not 10%.

On 11/13/2021 at 7:10 PM, sandyf said:

Included with flight ticket.

insurance sample_a_Page_1.jpg

insurance sample_a_Page_2.jpg

Is this policy available to buy?

If YES, where does the purchaser have to be located when buying the policy?

Is there an age limit?

And, what is the premium?

Or, who to contact to discuss further?

Edited by scorecard

9 hours ago, scorecard said:

Is this policy available to buy?

If YES, where does the purchaser have to be located when buying the policy?

Is there an age limit?

And, what is the premium?

Or, who to contact to discuss further?

The policy is AIG Travel Guard and I believe it is almost world wide.

Being travel insurance I also believe it has to be purchased in the country you depart from but not 100% on that.

As for age limit and premium, that may well depend on the office you ask to quote.

On 11/13/2021 at 6:20 PM, Stargeezr said:

My wife's Thai family told us to stay away until next Winter, because of conditions, and the restrictions

and even the risks of catching COVID during the long flight from Canada to Thailand.  They all stay cautious

and the older relatives stay at home mostly except to escape the city with a family vehicle and enjoy a break 

in the country at a park, and away from people.  The members who work in Bangkok are fearful every day of

catching COVID and spreading it amongst the family. When they ride the BTS, and see people who are coughing

and sneezing, they worry about just what is causing that person to be traveling when they are sick with anything.

So 2022 Fall or Winter is when my wife and I will be taking our chances on Thailand.

Good luck to all of you.

Geezer

It seems kind of paranoid to me...but not surprised as I have seen them in action for a year or so wearing triple layers of masks and taking other "precautions" 

They should more rely on correct information

On 11/11/2021 at 7:46 PM, zzaa09 said:

Need to update yourself. 

Currently, all airlines/flights [certainly internationally/int'l carriers] require authorized proof of vaccination documentation before flying

What about for children who aren't vaccinated?

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/13/2021 at 5:10 AM, scorecard said:

Are you suggesting that a/any health insurance provider might agree to a policy after the event?

Seems to me doubtful for several reasons:

1. Possibly very illegal.

2. It would set a precedent that the health insurance company would certainly not want: 'You did this for xxxxx, so why can't you do it for me?' 

3. The whole insurance industry would be totally/absolutely opposed to such an action and would very possibly take action to prevent policies being written/used after the event. And not surprising. 

You're really not getting it, are you.

Perhaps you should go back and actually look at what I linked to. It certainly wasn't health insurance.