So - how do you see climate change effects Thailand?

Thunglom

16 hours ago, Thunglom said:

Not at all harsh Yes - you are again missing out on large numbers - th single building of a large solar farm is not necessarily evidence of Thailand's overall policies.

Cina is the biggest producer of slot engird cells and has a massive alternative energy policy but it doesn't detract from the fact that it is still opening new coal mines.

Early industrialised countries have contributed most to the current situation but it doesn't alter the present situation that requires ALL countries - regardless of blame - to make adjustments.

another fact is to consider the carbon footprint per capita - Thailand has and increasingly large contribution but the biggest per capita is Australia.

"

The US rhetoric over India and China is nothing more than a cover to take the heat off their own oil industry.

The UK is even worse, having cut the foreign aid budget they make a big issue over trying to help  poorer nations, blatant hypocrisy. 

There is no scientific deadline as such, only lip service to certain scenarios, the political will in any country to meet proposed deadlines will appear with the funding."

I totally agree with this but it in no way mitigates or deflects from Thailand's policy of not doing anything significant.

" but it doesn't detract from the fact that it is still opening new coal mines."

China is not Thailand so are you trying to say Thailand is also planning to open new coal mines?

The UK is also planning a new coal mine and further licences for oil  extraction, maybe insignificant.

"Thailand's policy of not doing anything significant."

"Significance", like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.

5 hours ago, Thunglom said:

A stable climate is essential for a stable economy and ever increasing variations in weather will disrupt this.

All seems to be stable here, ????at least the last 20 yrs since I've been here, and the centuries before that, if my readings are accurate.

Every year or so and there's droughts, along with every year there's flooding.  Nothing much changes.

Only surprise is, after a few decades of slight modernization, the country still doesn't have a handle on water management.  ????

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Thunglom said:

How?

In my location in Thailand i've kept rainfall figures for the last 17 years.

Lowest 35 inches,highest 70 inches.

So a year like this we got an extra 3 decent rain events which takes it to the upper level.

And i hardly call 35 inches a drought so i would consider it that i live in a pretty reliable area of Thailand.(Khon Kaen province)

5 hours ago, sandyf said:

"Significance", like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.

significant is a scientific term that has a specific mean in statistics.

"Statistical significance is a determination about the null hypothesis, which suggests that the results are due to chance alone." - investopedia

it's a bit like the word"theory" which has a vastly different meaning in science from daily chit-chat.

in 

5 hours ago, sandyf said:

China is not Thailand so are you trying to say Thailand is also planning to open new coal mines?

COP26 - Thailand was also absent from the pact to end coal use.

"    Coal-fired power plant is listed in the National Power Development Plan 2015 - 2036 or PDP 2015, which is a master plan for national power generation that focuses on electrical power supply to meet significant requirements of national power development in the next 20 years. According to the plan, proportion of coal-fired power plant will be increased from 20% in the present to be 25% in year 2036" - Electricity Generating Board of Thailand

2 new coal powered will now be powered with gas - a less damaging fossil fuel.

Edited by Thunglom

On 11/12/2021 at 5:29 PM, 3NUMBAS said:

60 degrees is now common in the   middle east and drought so no/little  crops can be grown ,your gonna fry ,at 60 to 70 degrees

I have been at 50 in KSA but 60 really where was that please? 

Death Valley, California, USA

This currently holds the record for hottest air temperature ever recorded. The desert valley reached highs of 56.7 degrees in the summer of 1913, which would apparently push the limits of human survival

2 hours ago, RubbaJohnny said:

I have been at 50 in KSA but 60 really where was that please? 

Death Valley, California, USA

This currently holds the record for hottest air temperature ever recorded. The desert valley reached highs of 56.7 degrees in the summer of 1913, which would apparently push the limits of human survival

You implying it hasn't recorded any temps higher since 1913 ?  hmm ... that would mean things are getting cooler, not 'warmer' ... ????

Kool ????????

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

You implying it hasn't recorded any temps higher since 1913 ?  hmm ... that would mean things are getting cooler, not 'warmer' ... 

That would be a fundamental misunderstanding of the timescale of climate change and the frequencies of extreme weather.

5 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

You implying it hasn't recorded any temps higher since 1913 ?  hmm ... that would mean things are getting cooler, not 'warmer' ... ????

Kool ????????

I realise you chaps are just joshing, but global warming doesn't mean the whole world is getting warmer at every point on its surface.

For example when the gulf stream shifts due to melting icecaps (possibly much sooner than was forecast) the UK will have a Siberian climate, while Siberia could well find itself with a much warmer climate as methane is ever more rapidly released from its melting permafrost.

By the way, the most extreme variation I've personally experienced was going from +50C in Kuwait to -32C in Moscow overnight (literally overnight). Humans can take a lot.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, fasteddie said:

You assume incorrectly, they are at the hub of the scam and along with the university of east anglia  provide the vast majority of the corrupted evidence this whole scare is based on, see climategate.

I think you must be replying to someone else as your post seems to be entirely unconnected to mine.

As for Uni East Anglia, that was well debated years ago. Yes, that was in the early days, they made mistakes, they acknowledged the mistakes, and it was also acknowledged than many of the accusations against them were based on misunderstandings by the accusers (or downright fabrication). And it was agreed that the mistakes made no substantial difference.

There have been thousands of other analyses from all over the world since then, and they all come to the same conclusion.

The small and dwindling rump of deniers are on very thin ice these days and everyone knows it.

• Like 1

On 11/13/2021 at 1:15 AM, blackprince said:

Actually, the terminology is "anthropomorphic climate change" but "anthropomorphic" is an even rarer word than "anthropological", especially for people who are unfamiliar with the issues, which obviously includes the overwhelming majority of deniers.

That's why I call it "man made climate change", after all it has been largely men, acutally largely white men, responsible for the man made climate disasters that are already with us.

I've posted uncontestable evidence from NASA confirming man made climate change a couple of times on other threads in the last couple of weeks. I assume that even the vast majority of deniers would accept that NASA is not part part of a global conspiracy.

No - the word is anthropogenic. - I doesn't help when your language is a bad as a deniers.

I agree it is better just to put "MMCC" as we all know what that means.

1 hour ago, blackprince said:
1 hour ago, fasteddie said:

You assume incorrectly, they are at the hub of the scam and along with the university of east anglia  provide the vast majority of the corrupted evidence this whole scare is based on, see climategate.

I think you must be replying to someone else as your post seems to be entirely unconnected to mine.

When fasteddie said "they are at the hub of the scam", I think he was referring to this bit in your post:

"I've posted uncontestable evidence from NASA confirming man made climate change"

- which, of course, I agree with totally (fasteddie's comment, that is.)

Edited by JetsetBkk

1 hour ago, JetsetBkk said:

When fasteddie said "they are at the hub of the scam", I think he was referring to this bit in your post:

"I've posted uncontestable evidence from NASA confirming man made climate change"

- which, of course, I agree with totally (fasteddie's comment, that is.)

It's truly amazing how they can thrive on falsehoods and yet still manage to fly a helicopter on Mars.

8 hours ago, Thunglom said:

Stop you there - the basic idea of climate change involves much longer periods than that and is not decided on local rainfall as a single statistic.

So what should i be worried about,that's the only local data i keep.

3 minutes ago, farmerjo said:

So what should i be worried about,that's the only local data i keep.

Your argument is the same as that of a person who looks out of his window and says "Well, it looks flat to me" - you simply don't have enough meaningful data.

The topic was intended to be about what effect it would have on Thailand.

the first thing you need to know is that it isn't just you that climate change affects - it is all us on the planet.

If you are a farmer then climate change will affect your crops water supply and market.

Just now, Thunglom said:

Your argument is the same as that of a person who looks out of his window and says "Well, it looks flat to me" - you simply don't have enough meaningful data.

the first thing you need to know is that it isn't just you that climate change affects - it is all us on the planet.

If you are a farmer then climate change will affect your crops water supply and market.

You are not an island 

52 minutes ago, Thunglom said:

Khon Kaen provincial authpeirties have been taking measures to mitigate climate change for several years now....

Khon Kaen city and provincial authorities have already started to implement policies to mitigate the effects of climate change

“There must be preparedness and resilience to Climate Change Impact as well as increasing an ability to assess and anticipate impact and risk of climate change and natural disasters at national level, whereas at local level, there must be a long-term strategies to be prepared for early warning and uncertainty. These must be ready for long-term changes, disaster prevention. Promoting accessible information should be established at community and local levels to be ready for climate change impact and disasters”.(Khon Kaen 2016-2020). 

Two main vulnerabilities were identified in Khon Kaen City - Water resources,  Land Use. The water resource problem has become more severe and led to disagreements and disputes. Khon Kaen city has faced the problems both quality and quantity of water usage.

Khon Kaen Water Resource Allocation Committee have already identified  the priorities for consumption, where in the agriculture and ecological sector water supplies are insufficient during dry season. There are as yet, insufficient measures to use water use wisely and farmers must be prepared for less water cultivation, plants for dry season, alkaline soil and 

soil nutrition and prepare to use less insecticides.

In recent years the area planted with rice has increased but total production has either remained the same or even decreased. Common problems of rice production in the villages are inadequate water supply in the dry season, floods in the rainy season, labour is scarce due to the poor economy and there is also a high rate of pests and plant diseases, coupled with low soil fertility. 

Rice farmers are adapting  to climate change by using new rice varieties and trying to improve soil fertility, they have also shifted cultivating dates to avoid potential drought hazards.

Farmers are advised to change rice varieties and use “greener” manures  and reform irrigation systems.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/13/2021 at 6:16 AM, toolpush said:

Even if the North Pole sea ice all melted, it would not change sea levels one millimeter. Ice floating on water displaces exactly the same amount of water if melted.

55555!

Sea levels are rising due to melting ice gaps, melting ice sheets, and thermal expansion, all due to human-caused climate change and global warming. 

Floating? Check your maps - there is a to of end around the articcircle and an entire continent at the Antarctic

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, Thunglom said:

55555!

Sea levels are rising due to melting ice gaps, melting ice sheets, and thermal expansion, all due to human-caused climate change and global warming. 

Floating? Check your maps - there is a to of end around the articcircle and an entire continent at the Antarctic

Meanwhile, the billionaires that flew into COP23 in their private jets to lecture us about further limiting our lifestyles are buying up the beachfront property. Nice place, Jeff. ????

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/jeff-bezoss-78m-hawaiian-getaway-a-home-for-the-man-who-has-everything-zfhv8rstd

https://www.propublica.org/article/obama-and-the-beach-house-loopholes

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Thunglom said:

55555!

When did they move the North Pole which is of course in the Arctic Ocean to Antarctica?

15 hours ago, Thunglom said:

55555!

Changing typos....

Sea levels are rising due to melting ice caps, melting ice sheets, and thermal expansion, all due to human-caused climate change and global warming. 

Floating? Check your maps - there is a lot of land around the Arctic circle and an entire continent under the Antarctic